Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2017, 11:11   #16

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Side to Side motion on a powerboat

If you take an unstabilized trawler side on to a 2-3 meter sea (like between the Caribbean Islands on a day with the Christmas winds) you will have to hold on with both hands on the flybridge and your wife will never come on the boat again. In a planing boat, the degree of roll will not be as bad, but the motion will be quicker.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 13:44   #17

Boat: 42' Grand Banks M/Y

Speed will lessen the rolling from beam seas, but speed in a planing hull boat cost $$. Many good suggestions above -- Check out a prescription called Promethazine -- truly awesome stuff and the least expensive solution.

Next would be a cat or trawler with stabilization. Tacking is also a good plan.

Good luck!
Blaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 13:57   #18
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

does the lack of a flybridge make a big difference in yaw/ rolling? considering a real trawler with a flybridge compared to a sedan or lobster boat.
Old 07-09-2017, 14:38   #19

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
......... you will have to hold on with both hands on the flybridge ......
I figured out the solution to that problem - operate from the lower helm and everyone rides below.

If the OP's wife gets sea sick on a sailboat, a trawler isn't going to help with this. Picking better days to boat and/or medicine is the solution.
Old 07-09-2017, 15:48   #20
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

I have a 53 foot hatteras motor yacht and beam waves to 4 feet can be testy. Bow waves are much smoother into close to 6 foot due to size and weight. Both of above at apptoximately 7 to 8 knots
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 16:22   #21

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
does the lack of a flybridge make a big difference in yaw/ rolling? considering a real trawler with a flybridge compared to a sedan or lobster boat.
The higher you sit (or stand), the greater the effect of any rolling. Consider how it would be riding on the top of your mast. It's physics.
Old 07-09-2017, 16:40   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Kenomac has the answer. I've been going on the ocean for about 62 years and dealt with my own and others sea sickness. I never found a person that couldn't resolve the issue with medicine and a little caution with eating and drinking.
I don't get sick anymore, but for people I take along, I have them take their medicine at bedtime the night before. Especially Dramamine. It makes you sleepy, you get a good nights sleep, and the next day is normal.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 21:12   #23
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
The higher you sit (or stand), the greater the effect of any rolling. Consider how it would be riding on the top of your mast. It's physics.
Thanks, High Cotton!
but I was wondering if carrying the weight of the flybridge made a significant difference to the general yawing motion of a trawler. I assume in a big beam sea we'd drive from inside. heavy boat will resist rolling better, and maybe a displacement hull trawler won't roll much more than a modified V-hull lobster boat.... or not
Old 09-09-2017, 09:13   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Appreciate the input. At 20 to 35 kts on a 33' boat, I am assuming you are using 10-20 gph?
I'd say more on the 25-30 gph
CaptnDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:22   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yeah, on say 26-29 ft with two 250 HP outboards cruising at say 3.5k-4k rpm/35 knots speed you are going to burn 14+ gph. But you are going to get 35 miles too.
In a trawler at 8 knots you are burning 1.5-2gph So maybe 8 gallons for the 35 miles trip... more or less.
Thinking back on when we did testing on several engines, I think I got this wrong going from memory. The burn for EACH 250 HP was like 13+ gallons an hour. We found make of engine didnt matter much. Honda, Etech, Suzuki and I think Merc were tested. That would be more in line with Skipmac's Grady White burn.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 13:41   #26

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

^^^ higher fuel burn /nm than we use shifting 65 tonne (71 US ton) around at 8 knots.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat