Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2018, 06:35   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009
Re: Should Large Power Boats be Banned?

I'm with you guys - don't ban anything. I'd like to add an economic incentive, which is how our society generally motivates activities. Externality is the economic term for impacts on others that are not included in the cost to the owner (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Externality). If the externalities of owning such a vessel were brought home to the owner, it would be less attractive. If you are worried about their environmental impact, put a tax on registration or fuel that would benefit environmental remediation. Think that 'big' boat owner is dangerous because they don't understand and follow ColRegs on a 30-ton boat, require some form of licensing to prove competence. These are not "taxes" because the purpose is not to raise money, but to reflect the true cost of ownership.

I'm all for freedom, but let's not let anyone be freeloaders.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
Old 19-03-2018, 06:40   #17

Charge a realistic, non-subsidized price for fuel, and the problem sorts itself out.
Old 19-03-2018, 06:55   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Charge a realistic, non-subsidized price for fuel, and the problem sorts itself out.
Bingo. If you get that right (which is far easier said than done, but still), then this eliminates the moral hazard of letting the state choose whose hobbies to shut down.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 19-03-2018, 07:00   #19

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Perhaps you should be 'banned' for such a stupid post
context please.
Old 19-03-2018, 07:01   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attikos View Post
That went downhill fast.
I disagree. Pretty reasonable discussion so far, and better than the one we had on the other thread. A lot of people, not surprisingly, don't like the idea of banning large power boats and consider it to be oppressive. Some others have some other suggestions for policy. Pretty interesting so far in my opinion.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 19-03-2018, 07:05   #21

Boat: Hunter 340, 1999, 34'

I had written that "downhill" post before yours and a couple of others, then deleted it after seeing the subsequent ones. Cross posting is a pain, I'm afraid.
Old 19-03-2018, 07:09   #22

Boat: Hunter 340, 1999, 34'

John Trusty sez: "I'm all for freedom, but let's not let anyone be freeloaders."

I agree, and the principle applies to quite a number of issues involved with boating, from fuel prices to the cost of municipal marinas to licensing and taxation to regulatory enforcement, and the list goes on. There's a whole lot o' cost shifting goin' on.
Old 19-03-2018, 07:18   #23

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 (aka 49)

I suspect somebody better informed than me might be able to make an argument for banning the use of fossil fuels from any recreational activities, at this stage in human history.

It would certainely stimulate R&D in alternative energies since there would be an immediate market to sell new solutions.
Old 19-03-2018, 07:23   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Wow, a bunch of Americans discussing banning "Miami Vice" I guess the world is changing.

Pete
Old 19-03-2018, 07:33   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big2small View Post
I suspect somebody better informed than me might be able to make an argument for banning the use of fossil fuels from any recreational activities, at this stage in human history.
Not the sort of thing people are used to hearing from me... but I do actually believe in freedom, such as the freedom to use fossil fuels for recreation. But the flip side of freedom is responsibility: fuel costs must reflect their actual cost to produce and distribute, AND the problems that their use creates.

Given a more realistic fuel price, I'm sure people would make meaningful choices - such as a harder think about how big a powerboat they really need, and maybe not also owning a fleet of hemis and muscle cars for just getting around.
Old 19-03-2018, 07:45   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Wow, a bunch of Americans discussing banning "Miami Vice" I guess the world is changing.

Pete
I'm not sure we've heard even one voice for banning so far. Surely someone will be along soon, though.
Walt Whitman
Old 19-03-2018, 07:50   #27

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 (aka 49)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Not the sort of thing people are used to hearing from me... but I do actually believe in freedom, such as the freedom to use fossil fuels for recreation. But the flip side of freedom is responsibility: fuel costs must reflect their actual cost to produce and distribute, AND the problems that their use creates.

Given a more realistic fuel price, I'm sure people would make meaningful choices - such as a harder think about how big a powerboat they really need, and maybe not also owning a fleet of hemis and muscle cars for just getting around.
The real cost to humanity of a gallon of fossil fuel is about infinite by now (minus 10% give or take—a little joke for the mathematically inclined sailor). 99.9% of scientists tell us man made global warming is real and a huge chunk of them are warning we might reach the point of no return, after which a runaway spiral of warming might make human life imposible on earth and potentially turn our planet into another Venus with an athmosphere of sulfuric acid instead of the air we breathe. So if we are at the tipping point, then the true cost of a gallon of gas is “infinite.”

But I don’t have the knowledge myself and simply have to trust the overwhelming majority of scientists on this. Also, I don’t want this to become another global warming thread where people who are lots stupider and louder than I hijack the discussion. Would be glad to hear from people with actual knowledge though.
Old 19-03-2018, 08:02   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Should Large Power Boats be Banned?

End subsidised fuel.. not just for large power boats but all forms of engines that require fossil energy to function..
That's you America.. time you paid up like everyone else.. $1.75/litre..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 19-03-2018, 08:10   #29

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Are we banning big boats with small engines? What about small boats with really big engines are they verboten too.

Let's compromise and ban all boats propelled by petroleum products: like gasoline or diesel, plastic sails and ropes, etc. or maybe just ban all boats MADE from petroleum products like epoxy , polyester or fiberglass.........
Old 19-03-2018, 08:13   #30
QBF

There certainly are a lot of self-righteous authoritarians nowadays.

What's next, a thread or website where they'll tell people what boat they are allowed to purchase, and where they are allowed to cruise?
Closed Thread

Tags
boat, power boat