Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2020, 19:06   #31

Re: Save me from buying a Super Yacht!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirds View Post
Greetings!

Please donít bring religion into this thread. Iím a carnivore, which means I eat nearly exclusively meat. The science supports this, but I donít go into your threads and claim you need to justify murdering plants.

I donít justify myself to anyone, least of all anyone who demands I do.

Caio!
Your grasp of what is science and what is religion being what it is, you'd be wise to get professional input to help you understand what you're taking on. Even if you don't care about the harm you'll be doing at all, you will regret not understanding what it means to run a large complex boat. Technical demands, running costs and depreciation build up fast. Factor in the risk that you'll be stuck with an ugly turkey that is basically impossible to sell, and frighteningly expensive to dock and haul.

Fwiw, people who have tried long term cruising on such big (tacky?) Boats tell me it can get stale being judged and disliked by locals and more modest cruisers. Maybe that's why the superyachts stay in ports so much. Also, we all live in bubbles of our own, but out there the Fox news bubble fades. Cruising people see the oceans, and you don't have to cruise for long to see that there is an unfolding crisis. The plastic and lack of fish in key oceans aside, emission-caused warming is bleaching some of the world's best coral in front of your eyes out there. It's only really in America and the internet that hard vivid science is written off as religion.

But fill your boots, champ.
Old 09-01-2020, 19:52   #32

Have you considered Fleming Yachts ( West USA )?
The founder, Tony Fleming has put some superb video's online of his cruises all over the place including Alaska and Europe, Iceland etc.
Cheers,
Niall.
Old 09-01-2020, 20:14   #33

Boat: Westerly 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirds View Post
Greetings!

Please donít bring religion into this thread. Iím a carnivore, which means I eat nearly exclusively meat. The science supports this, but I donít go into your threads and claim you need to justify murdering plants.

I donít justify myself to anyone, least of all anyone who demands I do.

Caio!
He was talking about carbon dioxide emissions not meat. Given the increasingly serious impacts of climate change, it's entirely appropriate to ask you to reconsider purchasing a super yacht.
Old 09-01-2020, 22:24   #34

Boat: Clipper 60 SII

Not a builder recommendation, which was originally asked for, but a boat that I still look at at regularly after my wonderful wife (and Admiral) said NO BUY! And we spent more than three times as much on our beautiful Clipper.
See https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/d...5070515/?Cr=23

My plan was to convert the two in-hull Yanmars to Diesel Electric and cover the roof with solar panels and to retain the central hull big ugly Detroit for when I wanted to get up and move somewhere fast. 90% of the work done and a steal.
Old 09-01-2020, 23:23   #35
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall leslie View Post
Have you considered Fleming Yachts ( West USA )?
The founder, Tony Fleming has put some superb video's online of his cruises all over the place including Alaska and Europe, Iceland etc.
Cheers,
Niall.
Yep, watched several of his videos. If I go the trawler route, Fleming, Selene, Northern Tug, Nordhacn, Kady Krogan et al will get consideration.
Old 09-01-2020, 23:27   #36
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi. View Post
Not a builder recommendation, which was originally asked for, but a boat that I still look at at regularly after my wonderful wife (and Admiral) said NO BUY! And we spent more than three times as much on our beautiful Clipper.
See https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/d...5070515/?Cr=23

My plan was to convert the two in-hull Yanmars to Diesel Electric and cover the roof with solar panels and to retain the central hull big ugly Detroit for when I wanted to get up and move somewhere fast. 90% of the work done and a steal.
OMG, now thatís a SuperYacht. And it looks like a Bond villain hideout. Im curious if itís a project boat thatís been worked on off and on for 24 years? Or did it have a previous life? Iíve searched a bit and found other boats of that design out there, some smaller. That one is a bit too big (but just) and being in New Zealand (fantastic country) AND a project boat is a bit much. But damn it is fine... will have to keep an eye on it. Do you know anything about itís history?

Is the roof flat? Would need a lot if panels for a boat that size.
Old 09-01-2020, 23:51   #37

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I love threads when it is difficult even after reading the whole thing to tell if it is a troll post or not

As someone else said rather well, posting along the lines of I'm szuper rich now but will be szuper-DUPER rich later so I need advice buying my first gigayacht on a forum where everyone is "rewashing their filters" (ahahahaha love it because it's true) is a bit weird to say the least. I too have known a few ultra rich people, and not a single one of them would be on a forum like this chatting with us, not even the nice ones. That's what assistants are for. If you can afford a 10 mil + boat (which by the way is not even close to 'super yacht' my friend), then you cannot afford to d!@k around here with us doing the most basic research. You'd text Geoff or Sandra and ask them to put together a few options for you to visit next week.

Or am I too cynical?
Old 10-01-2020, 00:55   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Thread closed and subject to moderator review.
Closed Thread

Tags
buying, yacht