Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2016, 17:26   #1

Running a new fuel lines

Hi,

I have a 31 foot flybridge cabin cruiser on which I'm refitting the engines. I want to install new fuel lines. The existing lines were copper (or some sort of metal). They are badly corroded.

I've seen there's lots of rubber hoses to choose. Can you please advise on what is the best, safest material to use for fixed fuel lines. I'm located in Australia so the material will need to meet or exceed Australian standards.

Thanks.
tronic72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 18:20   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Running a new fuel lines

Look round if jacketed rubber hoses are allowed and available.

They seem safer than rubber and easier to set than copper.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 19:57   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Whatever business sells the hose should know the approved hose for fuel in Australia. In the US any auto parts store has the correct hose for diesel or gas. And they are different. Also marine supply, industrial supply, farm supply.
Make sure you fasten the new lines so they don't rub with vibration or boat movement.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 16:33   #4

Boat: Lagoon 400

Hello tronic72

For inside engine bay use, you need to ensure is its reinforced multi layer, anti-static fuel rated hose, with appropriate temperature ratings and pressure rated above the pump delivery pressure.

The Australian National Stand for General Safety Requirements for Vessels PART G, which is a good reference, refers to SAE J1527 as the Marine fuel hose standard. If you search Australian Marine or Quality auto parts online stores with the above SAE code you will find multiple sources of supply. Additionally your local ships chandler would normally have this (nominal) 10mm hose in stock.

As per Lepke, ensure that at any potential rubbing points you protect the hose. There are Stainless Steel outer braided hoses available if this is a potentially big issue. Also ensure you have a fuel shutoff valve for each fuel line at the tank.
OldGreyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 20:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGreyB View Post
Hello tronic72

For inside engine bay use, you need to ensure is its reinforced multi layer, anti-static fuel rated hose, with appropriate temperature ratings and pressure rated above the pump delivery pressure.

The Australian National Stand for General Safety Requirements for Vessels PART G, which is a good reference, refers to SAE J1527 as the Marine fuel hose standard. If you search Australian Marine or Quality auto parts online stores with the above SAE code you will find multiple sources of supply. Additionally your local ships chandler would normally have this (nominal) 10mm hose in stock.

As per Lepke, ensure that at any potential rubbing points you protect the hose. There are Stainless Steel outer braided hoses available if this is a potentially big issue. Also ensure you have a fuel shutoff valve for each fuel line at the tank.
Thanks old grey. I'll take a look at that.

Regards, Mark
Old 18-09-2016, 20:08   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Whatever business sells the hose should know the approved hose for fuel in Australia. In the US any auto parts store has the correct hose for diesel or gas. And they are different. Also marine supply, industrial supply, farm supply.
Make sure you fasten the new lines so they don't rub with vibration or boat movement.
Thanks Lepke,

Unfortunately the few boating stores near me are tailored to "bit and pieces" and don't have that sort of knowledge.

I've found the right hose (A1/iso 7840 1/2 inch sae j1527).

With regards to the clamps. Can you specifiy a type or brand suitable. I've found some that are stainless 316 with rubber insulation P-clamps which appear to be on the money.
Old 18-09-2016, 22:31   #7

Boat: Lagoon 400

Tronic72,

I replaced the lines in my 38 foot cruiser last year. I checked this AM and they are MAKO Marine Fuel Lines, as per my previous quoted specification. [www.msamako.com.au] I use 2 X TRIDON 316 series perforated band hosecamps [ Tridon | industrial, automotive, hardware | Home ] (sitting right & left ) on each connection end.
OldGreyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 23:24   #8

That's great to know because the fuel line I sourced was also mako.
Old 19-09-2016, 03:03   #9

Boat: Little Harbor 58

Find a local hydraulic service company. Give them your measurements and connection sizes. They will crimp the fittings to the hoses for you and you can have valves made up which is a good idea. Parker is a company that did mine and they are an international company, and have service areas all over.
FlightPlan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel