Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2009, 18:58   #1

Boat: Carver, Montego 2557, 28 ft
Restoration

We have a 1990 28ft Carver. The cabin smells! The last owner didn't clean very much. We've replaced the cushions, took out the mattress, removed the carpet, removed the curtains, had the fuzzy headliner professionally cleaned, had an ionizer used inside, had the bilge cleaned, replaced the toilet and new lines, etc. What more can we do? The smell makes me sick especially in the heat - we don't have air conditioner. Should we do something to the flooring before putting in new carpet? Should we replace the headliner which covers the walls, v-berth and second berth also. The smell has pentrated everything. My husband had to sand the wood cutting board (that covered the alcohol stove) 3 times before the smell went away. Thanks for any help.
llm119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 19:30   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
The smell makes me sick especially in the heat - we don't have air conditioner.
Sounds like you have mildew. Make sure none of the fabric has real natural fibers like wool or cotton. If you have that in anything rip it out. Cushions can trap mildew well enough that destruction is the only cure too. Mildew is caused from moist air that carries the critters that are mildew. You can't keep them out but you can mess up where they play. When moist air cools it condenses water. That is where the mildew comes from. Once you clean it up a mild bleach solution will kill it. But is can come back unless you deal with the issue of condensation.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 09:09   #3

PBlais has the right idea. also if you can look between your wall and the hull for mildew.
Finditsurfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 09:16   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
Try several large boxes of baking soda. You can pour it in the bilge and sprinkle it on any DRY surface. Let it sit for a week and vacuum out. I use this to get the smell out of large plastic mayo/mustard/pickle jars so I can use them to store other stuff..m

Tags
cabin, cleaning, headliner, restoration, smell