Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2021, 05:21   #46

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Please help a sailor make the switch to power.

Ref engine noise: there's lots of variation from powerboat to powerboat, engines to engines, etc.

Often a small 120 Lehman in a well-insulated engine room on a boat being driven from a flying bridge... is "silent" compared to 12-cylinder 2-stroke Detroit Diesels in a boat being driven on plane from an inside helm station.

Insulation differs from boat to boat. Exhaust differs from boat to boat. Horsepower differs etc etc etc

IOW, blanket statements might get you started on the right path, but the actual details can make or break any issue like this.

-Chris
Old 19-02-2021, 06:21   #47

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

"I'm stocking that one away. Thank you.
"I visually follow the water path from through hulls to where it is injected into the exhaust."
Is this to check for leaks?"

Yes. I actually do the same for the parts of the fuel system that I can see but I believe that I would smell a fuel leak before I saw anything.

An interesting note on temps. I got a lower temp. on the port engines water fill tank once. Temp gages at the helms still read normal but hitting the top of the tank with the IR showed a little lower than it had been. So I went in and looked around and the hose that went from the engine to the hot water heater was weeping a little. When engine cooled down the water was barely above the temp. sending unit for the helm gauge but a few inches down from the top of the tank. So it was a minor issue to block off the fitting and continue on but If the problem hadn't been caught until the coolant level was significantly lower it could have been a larger issue. And.... If I had been more diligent in checking condition of hoses I may have noticed the the 20+ year old hose was suspect. When I bought the boat I replaced all the hoses below the waterline and the hoses on the engine but had not done this one. (:
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 06:38   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post

For the most part, sailboat engine usage is very hard on the engine. And frankly, sailors are not good always about maintaining their engines. Sailors considering power often want twins for redundancy. In response, I heard one old salt say "If I took care of my engine the way most sailors do, I'd want twins too!

Peter
I think there might be some truth to this. I know when I'm on my sailboat, that I'm never really worried about an engine failure, unless I am in some particular, usually very short lived situation, where it would be hard to sail myself out of trouble.

I sailed all over the Bahamas with a balky starter, for a couple of months one time, with a new one in the box on a shelf, because I decided I didn't feel like changing it out unless I absolutely had to.

In my powerboat now, I would change it out right away.

I mean, after all, a sailboat is designed for the sails to be the primary propulsion.

But, I've also been on a sailboat when it lost the mast while sailing, and a clogged fuel filter, is a lot easier to fix.
Old 22-02-2021, 06:49   #49

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Look at some of the older (if you can find them) Leopard PowerCat owner versions. I have a 47 PC charter version now out of charter. I've been looking at converting the starboard hull to an owner's version. Perfect for the kind of cruising you and I like.
Was going to suggest a Leopard Power cat. If you could stretch the budget the 43 is awesome.
However the 39 is also very nice and spacious.

https://www.mooringsbrokerage.com/used-boats/2012-leopard-39-powercat-virgin-islands-british-magooch-5016350

I think a 39 PC will have much more space than any comparative mono and also be a lot more economical.

Good Luck.
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 07:06   #50

Boat: Leopard 40

Just DO NOT buy a WOODEN vessel.

As lovely as they are, they are a maintenance nightmare!

But I suppose steel is similar. Except it is much easier to replace steel plates than it is to redo planking.

Ally or GRP only!!!!

Personally I would not look at anything that is not GRP!
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 07:15   #51

Boat: Marine Trader/Sundeck/40'

Get a single-engine trawler. 85 or newer. 4-foot draft Max. You won't regret it.
CaptFigmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 08:36   #52

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

Life is a compromise. You may find that getting a boat to fulfill all of your needs for $150,000 will be an exercise in compromise. It appears that you need to narrow your search based on your budget and needs. You may find a motor yacht in your price range but it will likely have gasoline engines. These were a logical choice on boats that stayed at the dock. The purchasers of these boats had no need to pay a significant added cost for diesel efficiency for a boat that rarely moved. If you plan to travel far and often, the money saved buying a boat with gas engines will be soon given to the nice guy at the fuel dock. If you plan short trips with most of your time within a few miles of your home port, then the purchase of a gas engine boat is sensible. As to the hull design, decide on your travel plans then get a boat to fit. You're on a budget so a motor yacht may not be the best choice although something like a SeaRay 44 Express Bridge might work if you don't mind cruising at trawler speeds to maintain acceptable fuel efficiency. I have a 43' express cruiser with twin 420 hp diesels. It fills my needs perfectly as a vacation boat (usually three weeks to two months) but would be far from ideal as a live aboard for four people. Places that I went for vacation with the previous boat, a fly bridge trawler, took two, sometimes three, full days of travel each way. Then going from marinas to certain beaches took most of the day at the 7 knot cruise speed. However, the fuel efficiency was wonderful. It was so good that fuel costs were a minor part of the vacation expense. But travel at 7-8 knots took away a large chunk of the vacation time. My present boat cruises comfortably at 23-24 knots but burns almost two gallons for each mile of travel. it's not the ideal boat if you're on a budget. Without having all of the details, it sounds like a trawler would be the best fit for your needs. They aren't much faster than a sailboat but aren't wind dependent. They also have considerably more interior space and you don't have to travel with the boat leaning over at 15-25 degrees. Twin engines are highly recommended but if you get one with a single engine, either get bow and stern thrusters or have a large bottle of Valium handy when docking, especially in windy conditions. Before making a final decision, look at a few of the boats of the type you're considering and make a list of features you like and don't like. Narrow the list then start looking for your future home.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 09:31   #53

Boat: Marine Trader/Sundeck/40'

Sorry to hear you complain about how long it takes you to get there and back. To me the journey is as much of the vacation as the destination. If you are in such a hurry I suggest you drive your car and stay in a motel
CaptFigmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 09:34   #54

Boat: Atlantic 57

I'm a bit surprised more people haven't mentioned the catamaran option. Most cats make great trawlers, easy to motor at 5-7 knots on one engine or 6-9 on two, many of them have ranges of 700-1,000 miles. They don't roll underway or at anchor. They have the room your family wants. And - big bonus - when the conditions are just right, you can have the sailing experience too.

I think the challenge is likely to be budget, but even there I'm pretty sure yachtworld will give you alternatives.

Get the best of both worlds!!
Capdave360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 09:58   #55

45’ cat might blow your budget. A 48-50’ Taiwan tralwler 1980 vintage is my vote
Sirocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 11:15   #56

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingabe41ds View Post
One day I will start on this path....

Sailboat to Motorboat, Motorboat to Motorhome,.....Motorhome to Nursing Home.

Not there yet....

Abe
===================================

drink to that!!!!!!
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 11:56   #57

Boat: Bayliner 4588

Take a look at a Bayliner 4588. We choose it for several reasons; large salon with lots of windows, galley up in the salon, not down below. Raised pilot house so if you desire to operate in a conditioned space you have plenty of forward visability. No need to climb a ladder to get to the fly bridge, it has 4 step staircases to get everywhere. It does have a ladder but you do not need to use it. Has an aft cockpit so you do not need to climb up to get on the boat as is the case with most aft cabin boats. For us it checked off most of our must haves. These boats are in you price range.
Georgiamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 13:07   #58

Have a look at the Jeanneau nc 1095 or Beneteau antares 11. Outboards. Gas. Easy maintenance and speed.
gillesgiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 16:45   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capdave360 View Post
I'm a bit surprised more people haven't mentioned the catamaran option. Most cats make great trawlers, easy to motor at 5-7 knots on one engine or 6-9 on two, many of them have ranges of 700-1,000 miles. They don't roll underway or at anchor. They have the room your family wants. And - big bonus - when the conditions are just right, you can have the sailing experience too.

I think the challenge is likely to be budget, but even there I'm pretty sure yachtworld will give you alternatives.

Get the best of both worlds!!
Exposed props and 50-foot air draft. Perfect for shallow waters of south Florida and the multitude of bridges in the ICW

Cats - power or sail - are not nearly as comfortable in a sea way as you'd think they are. Flopper stoppers solve the stability at anchor issue for mono hulls.

Figure out where to want to cruise and go from there. If you have bridges or skinny water in your future, consider a trawler. I'd reckon that there are 10 people who switch from sail to power for every 1 who go the other direction. There's a reason for that - it's so much easier to just get where you plan to go and be reasonably refreshed when you get there. Good for many marriages too

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 06:33   #60

Boat: 35' sloop

I always shudder when I hear nautical miles per gallon tossed around.
Was that with or against the wind?
Is there a current running?
Are you on an ebb or flood tide?
What was/is the power setting?
What are the sea conditions?
All of these can change within hours [or less].
Take it out and run it all over. Fill it when you return. Write it down. Next time do it differently, keep a constant speed. Note the weather at the time. Get yourself a good average GPH and factor in the requirment to get yourself out of trouble.
Then enjoy the new boat!
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, sail