Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2021, 14:23   #1

Please help a sailor make the switch to power.

I'm happy to answer any questions but in a nut-shell, my live-aboard family wants more space, comfort and speed. And quite frankly I do too. Don't get me wrong, I'll always be a sailor at heart but I'm getting up there in age and tending to the sheets/sails/rigging and living life on a 20° angle is getting tough. I also find that I'm motoring a lot of the time anyway because sailboats have one big flaw... without wind, they don't move.
So I guess some of my important stats are:
Live-aboard family of 4 (soon to be 3 when my oldest graduates HS)
Home port in Fla.
Coastal cruise between the keys and Annapolis with plenty of trips to the Bahamas and occasionally out to the leeward islands.

My first question is about power boat "types" or categories I'm seeing listed on broker sites that would suit our needs. Namely:
Cruiser
Express Cruiser
Motor Yacht
Trawler
It's obvious that there must be some crossover because I'm seeing some of the same boats listed under more than one style designation.
Is there any light that can be shed on what main differences there may be between them?

Our preferred LOA is between 35-45 with the sweet spot being 38-42.
Center line queen aft stateroom w/ private head

Double heads w/ separate shower
Our budget is <$150K all in

With that in mind, I'm happy to get any friendly advice offered.
Salty Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 15:24   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Please help a sailor make the switch to power.

Cruiser is a pretty generic term that can get applied to any powerboat with cabins. Generally an express cruiser will have less accommodation relative to its size, but they're faster. They also tend to be worse handling at low speeds and have smaller tankage, etc. making them a bit less self sufficient.

Within the realm of motoryachts and trawlers, the level of comfort, self sufficiency, etc. varies, but in general, trawlers tend to be slower, ranging from full displacement to a semi displacement hull that'll cruise a few kts above hull speed. Motoryachts are often capable of planing (with an accordingly large fuel bill when going fast in a large boat). Many of them will happily cruise at low speed (although not as well as the more optimized trawler designs) but are also happy blasting along somewhere in the high teens until it's time to stop for fuel.

My own boat is a Chris Craft Catalina 381, which is a 38 foot planing hull. Depending on who you ask, it would typically be grouped in as a "cabin cruiser" or a "motoryacht". It's perfectly happy plodding along at 6.5 - 7 kts, or doing 17 kts (for about 10 hours until it's time to fill the tanks, leaving a 25% reserve). Fuel wise, it's thirsty, but that's mostly due to the gas engines. I plan on 1.2 nmpg at 6.5 - 6.7 kts, 0.5 nmpg at 17 kts. Realistically, in calm water, I do a bit better than that. A comparable boat with diesels would burn half as much on plane and around 40% as much at low speeds.

As far as layout, my boat has a centerline almost-queen forward and a centerline king aft (the aft bunk encloses the fuel tanks and 420 gallons fills the volume of a king size bunk). Couch in the salon folds out into a double bunk if an extra is needed for guests. 2 heads with showers (forward is a small shower stall, aft is a 4ft bathtub / shower). The biggest self-sufficiency flaw I have with it is the annoyingly small 65 gallon water tank">fresh water tank. It's possible to fit more tankage, just a challenge of where to put it in terms of space and weight distribution.

In the size range you're looking at, there are tons of choices. You'll end up ruling out some due to layout, but you'll still have lots of designs, choices of speed, etc. to pick from.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 18:42   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
It's perfectly happy plodding along at 6.5 - 7 kts, or doing 17 kts (for about 10 hours until it's time to fill the tanks, leaving a 25% reserve).
That's a lot of good info, thank you.
That's what I have in mind, a constant 6-7 kts. Built for comfort not for speed. That's about what I can count on under full sails in 15-20 kts but below 10 I'm motor sailing anyway. I'm liking the idea of a constant speed.
So from your description, it sounds like either a trawler or motor yacht is what I have in mind. You say a motor yacht rides okay when not planing? I could use that at trawler speeds but have some oomph when I want it.
Old 16-02-2021, 19:02   #4

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Ride quality at low speeds will vary, it just depends on the hull in question, size of rudders, etc. It's a bit harder to generalize there. As long as I'm not range limited, I don't mind needing to speed up for some rougher conditions that are easier to handle on plane. If nothing else, it means I don't have to put up with the uncomfortable crap for as long.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 05:25   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Cracker View Post
My first question is about power boat "types" or categories I'm seeing listed on broker sites that would suit our needs. Namely:
Cruiser
Express Cruiser
Motor Yacht
Trawler
It's obvious that there must be some crossover because I'm seeing some of the same boats listed under more than one style designation.
Is there any light that can be shed on what main differences there may be between them?
Many of the names came from the marketing department, so may only be loosely connected to actual marine features. "Trawler" is an especially guilty word. The short version is usually about hull shape and overall power.

Semi-planing, big power? Could be motor yacht. Semi-displacement, or even (gasp!) full displacement and puny power? Could be a "trawler" of some sort.

"Express" often means no flybridge... but that's not universal and there are lots of other designs ("downeast") that generally have no flybridge either.

"Motor yacht" often means an aft (main) cabin layout; ditto not universal.

You could do well to buy the Powerboat Guide. The softcopy version allows keyword searches. It doesn't actually list ALL boats, but there are lots and the layout diagrams can also be useful.

Quote:
You say a motor yacht rides okay when not planing? I could use that at trawler speeds but have some oomph when I want it.
The "ride OK" part can be a bit iffy. Might depend on sea states, wave height, wave direction and period... but then unstabilized "trawlers" have similar issues anyway. IOW, sometimes faster (within reason) is actually better.

In general though, yes, you can often go slow with whatever boat you like and save fuel, noise, etc. One caveat usually is to keep the diesels up at recommended operating temps, and sometimes (like in the last several minute of a long day underway at low speeds) crank the sucker(s) up to blow out any gremlins that went to sleep in there during the day.

If you DO operate this way, you won't get the same economy as with a real full-diplacement low power craft... but OTOH you'll save a lot, won't break the bank, etc.

-Chris
Old 17-02-2021, 08:15   #6

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
That's a lot of good info, thank you.
That's what I have in mind, a constant 6-7 kts. Built for comfort not for speed. That's about what I can count on under full sails in 15-20 kts but below 10 I'm motor sailing anyway. I'm liking the idea of a constant speed.
So from your description, it sounds like either a trawler or motor yacht is what I have in mind. You say a motor yacht rides okay when not planing? I could use that at trawler speeds but have some oomph when I want it.
I have known several sailors who went from sail boats to trawlers, and were very happy with the change. They told me that the cruising was similar since the speeds were similar, and the fuel consumption was also close. Because of this their planning process was not much different.

Good luck with what ever you go with!

The bold and italicized phrase reminds me of a Howlin' Wolf song!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 09:01   #7

Boat: Pearson

Sounds like you need a trawler. Diesel, I prefer twins, but single is fine. There are some out there that are refit, plus but cheap, depends on how hard you want to work. They ALL need work.
Old 17-02-2021, 09:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
The bold and italicized phrase reminds me of a Howlin' Wolf song!
That's just what I was thinking of myself.

Thanks you guys. Some good food for thought. I'm still not sure I'm gonna make the hop so I'm just getting familiar with what my options are.
Old 17-02-2021, 09:29   #9

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

You might rummage around over on trawlerforum.com, a sister site. More power guys -- of various persuasions -- there.

-Chris
Old 17-02-2021, 09:51   #10

Boat: Grand Banks Aleutian 64

Full time live aboard for a family of four on $150,000 for a power boat?

That’s going to be a tough challenge given a good size power boat large enough for four that doesn’t need major work would be in the neighborhood of $350,000 to $500,000.

Good luck.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 10:32   #11
Marine Service Provider

Look at some of the older (if you can find them) Leopard PowerCat owner versions. I have a 47 PC charter version now out of charter. I've been looking at converting the starboard hull to an owner's version. Perfect for the kind of cruising you and I like.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 10:51   #12

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

We were thinking a while ago now that when voyaging to the islands is no longer possible/desirable, we no longer need a 44ft sailing boat and the prospect of switching to a motor launch entered the discussion.

A boat that sleeps 4, two heads for privacy, nice galley, ability to motor at 7-8kn with a fuel consumption of say, 5 litres an hour, electrically independant, good tankage including water, fuel and holding tanks, maybe a watermaker just in case.

Then suddenly “Oh, wait, we already have one of those, all we have to do is not put sails up unless we really want to”.

We’ve since canned the thought of losing a bundle of money selling our boat and stumping up another bundle of money buying a motor launch that will probably reset my 10-year work programme back to Start.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 11:08   #13

Boat: LeComte NE 38

if you really plan to sell the 44 foot sail boat and switch to a motor boat, you might think about an electric boat for the peace and quiet and green aspects.

On the other hand, it sounds like you may have come to your senses with the realization that you already have the boat you need.

I sold my 38' sloop after 21 years and temporarily bought a 25' inboard diesel mini-lobster yacht and after 1.5 seasons, will be selling the motor boat to get a 45' - 50' sailboat. The lobster yacht was always intended as a temporary way to get out on the water but I find it just too noisy. I also really miss sailing. and the quality of the motion on a sailboat - sea-kindly sense - and overall aesthetics.

As you note in your last transmission, you already have the boat you need and you could just sail less - motor more. I think you have a good option with this plan and you could always pick your weather and have the incomparable joy, peace, quiet, and being in harmony with nature that all comes from beautiful sail.

Enjoy and think of all the money saved, fees and commissions saved, and perhaps you don't need to start working again ...
PAlter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 12:20   #14

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

Squander Bucks is a 1965 38ft fiberglass Chris Craft. Originally gas powered but now diesel. At normal cruise of 21 mph it consumes 18g/h and at 7-8 mph around 3 g/h. Or 1.2 miles/ gal at cruise and 3+ m/g.
Maybe an Albin cruiser would fit your bill. single diesel, twin cabin and mostly a displacement type hull.

Problem is that any boat for your specs is going to be considerably over the $150k unless it is a project boat and then that raises the price.

Look at some of the older Marine Trader type clones of the more expensive name brands.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 12:50   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

One day I will start on this path....

Sailboat to Motorboat, Motorboat to Motorhome,.....Motorhome to Nursing Home.

Not there yet....

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, sail