Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 21:19   #46

Re: Owens Concorde

I have a 72 33 foot sport fisher. the boat is built like a tank. it has cummins 6bt for power and cruises nice.
Helmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 22:17   #47

I have a 1965 33' Sport Fisher which is all fiberglass. Decks were teak and it was powered with twin Flagship V8s. Titled as on Owens 33'4".

It's currently on the hard and I've removed all through hulls, engines, prop shafts and rudders. The hull is in excellent condition since it has sat in a saltwater slip for the last 10 years that I know of and never moved. Not a single blister anywhere desite 500 pounds of mussels on the hull.

I'm in the process of repowering her with a 3208TA coupled to a ZF202A. New 200 gallon aluminum fuel tanks and all new electrical. Will be used out of Santa Cruz for commercial salmon, black cod, albacore and possibly dungeness crab next season.

If anyones interested in the project I'll post progress reports as it unfolds. On fast track at the moment trying to get her back on the water.

For what it's worth, I had to have an LOA survey done for transferring my permits. LOA came out 31'5" going by the USCG standards. A lot of boat for that LOA!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	portside.jpg
Views:	2144
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	42204   Click image for larger version

Name:	helm.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	42205  

Owens33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 22:23   #48

Hello 33'Owens
I'm restoring my 1968 33' Owens Brigantine, and am about ready to drop the two 500hr. 3208NA Cats, after I refinish the engine bay.
I moved the boat by my shop behind my house and am enjoying the project as a whole.
Next is repairing some soft spots on the deck, possible re-gelcoat, and re-do the gutted interior.
I'd like to see more pic's of your restoration project on this forum.
I'm located just north of you in Bethel Island,CA.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	All Pic's 781.jpg
Views:	1219
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	42518   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	1528
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	42519  

Name:	Picture 097.jpg
Views:	1242
Size:	422.9 KB
ID:	42520  
brutustitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 21:39   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Willy View Post
Dave - great stuff! Thanks for getting the data from your Dad. One question, when he says there's no problem standing in the engine compartment, is he speaking strictly of standing on the stringers, or directly on the hull glass as well?

Calm seas and blue skies, all...

Cheers,
Capt. Willy
Rochester, NY
Hey Capt. Willy,

sorry for the delay in response. Was at the beach for awhile. He said that you could stand anywhere you want to in the engine compartment and not just on the stringers.

Dave
Concorde Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 22:03   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutustitan View Post
Hello 33'Owens
I'm restoring my 1968 33' Owens Brigantine, and am about ready to drop the two 500hr. 3208NA Cats, after I refinish the engine bay.
I moved the boat by my shop behind my house and am enjoying the project as a whole.
Next is repairing some soft spots on the deck, possible re-gelcoat, and re-do the gutted interior.
I'd like to see more pic's of your restoration project on this forum.
I'm located just north of you in Bethel Island,CA.
Hi brutustitan,

Glad to see another restoration of a great hull!

Just about have the new keel glassed in and will start the gelcoat in the engine bay and bilge tomorrow. Transmission should come in sometime tomorrow. I ended up ordering a new Twin Disc 5050A with a trolling valve. The adapter for the 3208 on the ZF was an 8 week order time and I can't be on the hard that long with no progress.

Twin 3208s...wow! Should cruise at a good clip.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mountingkeel2.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	42615  
Owens33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:25   #51

I TO HAVE A 1970CONCORDE FLYBRIDGE AFCABIN THAT I FOUND IN MAINE.HAVE CHANGED EVERYTHING OVER A PERIOD OF 2 YEARS .NOW ITS DOCKED ON THE OCCAQUON IN VA ABOUT 1/2 MILE FROM WHERE IT WAS SOLD NEW
concorde mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:36   #52

Any pic's mike?
brutustitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 20:11   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by concorde mike View Post
I TO HAVE A 1970CONCORDE FLYBRIDGE AFCABIN THAT I FOUND IN MAINE.HAVE CHANGED EVERYTHING OVER A PERIOD OF 2 YEARS .NOW ITS DOCKED ON THE OCCAQUON IN VA ABOUT 1/2 MILE FROM WHERE IT WAS SOLD NEW
I posted a picture (post #44) in this thread that shows the Occoquan dealers from around 1968.
Concorde Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 15:32   #54

Boat: 1970 Concorde 35 MY

Greetings.

This is truly a sad time of year up here at the Great Lakes. We haul out, block, winterize and shrink wrap our beautiful summer partners. I just wanted to say I had a great season this year on my new (to me) 1970 Concorde 35.

After rescuing her from a slow death on stands, I and my crew mates decided to gamble on a 140 mile maiden voyage from Lower South Bay on Oneida Lake to the south west point of Irondequoit Bay off Lake Ontario.

16 hours and 9 locks later we were docked at my home port - and the Karina Leigh's new home at Sutter's Marina.

Here she is.

There was much to do over the summer, especially on the port motor - new fuel pump, new starter, new plugs, new wires, new oil (twice), new batteries, carb work, etc. All worth it. She really fought me to start when we first met but she's much better now - although still a touch difficult. This brings me to the motivation to post tonight.

I now believe to problem to be low or weak voltage at the coil, and in the spring, I'm going to jump from the "R" terminal on the starter solenoid to the "+" terminal on the coil. You see, over time the resistor wire to the coil gains resistance, a bad thing because it prevents the coil from delivering enough ummmph to the distributor and there's not quite enough spark to reliably turn over the engine. Sometimes it would hit just as the ignition was disengaged - because the draw from the starter is cut and the engine had enough momentum to keep turning. It's apparently a pretty common problem and the solution is to run an ignition bypass wire that delivers a solid 12VDC from the solenoid, but only while the ignition is in the starting position. Once the engine is running, the direct connection is cut and the voltage via the resistor wire is sufficient to keep the engine going.

Anyway, I can't wait until next year to try this simple fix.

Have a great off season, all. Happy Holidays!

Calm seas and blue skies, all...

Cheers,
Capt. Willy
Rochester, NY
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Karina Leigh at Sutter's.jpg
Views:	1099
Size:	432.3 KB
ID:	49652  
Capt. Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 10:23   #55

Newbie, first post.
Just bought a 1972 30' Owens Concorde, I guess you would call it the "sport fisherman" model..Just searching the internet for info on this boat and finding its a bit difficult. If you know of any links or anything you may think I would want to know, I would appreciate it.

Mike
slabguymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 11:45   #56

We have a 1971 Concorde 31 with twin gas engines. it had an air conditioner at one time, but it was not operational so we removed it. Cannot find the water heater. Any tips on where they might have hidden it?

Nick Tarlson
Marin Sea Scout Ship 1
Marin County, California
nick@tarlson.com
415-956-5700
ntarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 16:27   #57

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

On a 47' aft cabin Concorde the water heater was in a area forward of the engine room. It was accessible thru a hatch near the galley.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 20:25   #58

ntarlson

Water heater, if plumbed into one of the engines FWC system is probably near the engine bay. Follow the hot water hose from your galley or head to the heater.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Molly Brown
Surf City, USA
GPSocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 14:03   #59

Boat: Tartan 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by river queen View Post
just came upon this website, glad to see other concorde owners! i have been living aboard a 1970 concorde 47 aft cabin for about twelve years. this one has no flybridge[great for going under bridges] and the 871n twin detroits. do a lot of river traveling in ct. and trips to block island and the long island area. been a great boat, built like a battleship! been on bigger chris-crafts and hatteras flush decks, and they still don't have the room this one does. have added an espar diesel furnace, keeps the boat nice and toasty on the coldest winter day. all glass boat with balsa core decks, gets lots of compliments. was inside last winter for $11,000 bottom job, and this winter for a $20,000 awlgrip paint job on cabin top and hull. will never get back whats been put into it $ wise, but absolutely love the boat. i had read that concorde was owens first leap into fiberglass boats. the division was sold to brunswick and then to test concorde, whose ceo had irons in the fire on some island, and neglected to pay the taxes on the company. it was taken over by the government in1968-9, and every year, a few of the hulls that had been laid up were completed and sold. so whether you have a 1968 or a 1975, they were all laid up in1968 or 9. i believe i got this out of soundings quite a few years ago, enjoy you're concordes, they're getting rare! river queen
Hi River Queen

I see your on a 47 Concorde. I'm currently looking for a live aboard for my wife me and the dogs. I saw a 47 Concorde on yacht world that peaked my interest. It's looks like it's all setup for wintering up here in Toronto. Wondering if I can pick your brain on the boat?
Thanks
Whay
whay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 21:58   #60

Hi, My name is Pete and I'm new to your forum. I'm currently refurbishing a 1970 Hatteras 38' Convertable for my mom and came across a Owens Concorde/Brigintine in my friends storage yard. I'm thinking of taking it on for myself. I just scrapped a 1963 Shepherd 33' Express Cruiser that had terminal termite damage. I salvaged the 700hr. Caterpillar 3160 motors with twin disc 506 transmissions.
I know a few of you have Cats in this type of boat and I'm just wondering how they fit? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	118280  
Pete03usmc is offline   Reply With Quote