Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2013, 18:00   #16

Re: Number of crew needed for 45' trawler?

Everyone is encouraging if I can just get sufficient experience to handle the boat. Thanks.
ALman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 18:00   #17
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALman View Post
Thank you, Chris. I've also looked at 40' and 43' Tiaras and may have given the wrong no.'s, i.e. that may have been for the smaller boats. There is so much for a beginner to try and keep straight. You and others are very helpful. -Thanks. One way or the other intend to carry extra fuel, possibly by bladder. -Joe
I sold a tiara 4100 recently with two cat 550's. I'll pull the figures for you tonorrow when I'm back in the office.
Old 13-06-2013, 18:03   #18
Marine Service Provider

Double post
Old 13-06-2013, 20:09   #19

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

Sorry to throw a monkey wrench in here. My two cents, tiara good boat for its type, wrong boat for what you want to do. One of the first steps an experienced boater should take in selecting a new boat is matching the craft to its use and the conditions it will experience.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 06:50   #20

Chris, I started looking at Mainship trawlers and slowly shifted toward Tiaras. I will use the boat for long cruises in Caribbean and perhaps Grand Loop or through the Panama Canal and up the West Coast of the Americas. Will the Tiara hull design work, or do I need a true trawler. Can't stand to think of going 8-10 knots? Joe
Old 14-06-2013, 06:55   #21

I've been trying to match boat with use and conditions. Cruising in the Caribbean Sea. Possibly through the Panama Canal and along west coast of the Americas. Need range and can carry fuel bladder and have desalinator. Need hull that will handle rough waters. And, can't imagine always travelling at 8-10 knots. What boat(s) do you suggest? Thanks Schulman.
Old 14-06-2013, 06:58   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Chris, I started looking at Mainship trawlers and slowly shifted toward Tiaras. I will use the boat for long cruises in Caribbean and perhaps Grand Loop or through the Panama Canal and up the West Coast of the Americas. Will the Tiara hull design work, or do I need a true trawler. Can't stand to think of going 8-10 knots? Joe
You're thinking about speed when you need to be thinking about range.

The Tiara will be a harbor-hopper at best. You do not want to come up the West Coast of the Americas in a Tiara simply because you won't make it from one fuel station to the next.
Old 14-06-2013, 07:03   #23

I just checked out the Tiara website, specifically the 45ft "Sovran" that has slightly smaller engines than you mentioned. This is clearly a planing hull designed for fast (inshore) trips and only has a range of 200-250 miles, depending on sea conditions etc. There is no way this vessel would meet your needs if these include long distance offshore voyages. Closest to this boat would be a SeaRay. Nice looking but not very practical except for afternoon good weather trips with a couple of beers and bikini beauties!!
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 07:15   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
You're thinking about speed when you need to be thinking about range.

The Tiara will be a harbor-hopper at best. You do not want to come up the West Coast of the Americas in a Tiara simply because you won't make it from one fuel station to the next.
Exactly. Without going through detailed trip planning my initial thought is a minimum of 500 miles usable range going up the Pacific Coast from Panama. That means at minimum of a third more than that for reserves.

So first question, what is the fuel capacity and maximum cruising range of the boat. Keep in mind that the range is usually calculated by the manufacturer under ideal conditions. Rough seas, contrary winds and currents could cut that range by a third or more.

Also consider that even a planing hull power boat can get much better mileage running at hull speed so that might be an option when you have a long hop to the next fuel stop.

All things considered I would want a boat with a theoretical, manufacturer calculated range, of 750-800 miles bare minimum.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 07:29   #25

I think range is only part of the problem. This hull configuration is not suited to rough seas offshore. It will bounce around on top of the water and be totally unsafe in any severe weather or rough seas. It is not an offshore vessel. You need a real trawler type boat or a sailboat if you want to do the passages you envisage. having said that, many people make it across to the Bahamas on nice days in less than ideal boats, but that is along way from the Panama.
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 07:30   #26
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Looking to buy "fast" trawler but unsure how many total crew I may need to help wife and me cruise Carribean?
Here's the forum you should be posting in:

Trawler Forum
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 07:30   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

If you want the best of both worlds there are "trawler" designs that can run at hull speeds for range but, at the cost of a huge increase in fuel consumption, run at 15-20 kts.

I'm sure there are many options but one common brand that comes to mind is the Grand Banks. Many were sold with twin diesels with enough power to plane the hull to 15 kts or more but fuel consumption would probably exceed the speed, like >20 gallons/hour range. Running at 7-8 kts fuel use could be a quarter of that.

The GB-36 is reported to have a max range of 1000 miles at trawler speeds so that should give you the range you need but with the option to kick up the speed some when the next fuel stop is close at hand.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 07:35   #28

Thanks so much. That would be a big help to have that information. I slowly shifted from looking at Mainship trawlers to Tiaras, confusing the Tiara for a trawler. Several responders have said a Tiara is not the boat I need for Caribbean cruising and is not a trawler. I accept that, but what is the boat I need - a true trawler? I don't think I could stand going everywhere at 8 knots and I can't sail.
Old 14-06-2013, 08:07   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Thanks so much. That would be a big help to have that information. I slowly shifted from looking at Mainship trawlers to Tiaras, confusing the Tiara for a trawler. Several responders have said a Tiara is not the boat I need for Caribbean cruising and is not a trawler. I accept that, but what is the boat I need - a true trawler? I don't think I could stand going everywhere at 8 knots and I can't sail.
8 knots is a good - for a long sea passage. You'll find tearing around at 20 knots is not comfortable or pleasant or sustainable for long passages. Planing fast power boats are made for tearing around the bay in good weather , and for short, thrilling (not comfortable) coastal hops. In less than perfect weather they become very uncomfortable, very fast.

If I were you, I'd be looking at sturdy single-engine trawlers, heavy and seaworthy. That's the way to go if you want to go long distances.

Or even better, a sailboat. It's not that hard to learn how to sail, and is even much more pleasant over long distances at sea, silent, and zero fuel burn.

I would probably be looking at catamaran, if I were you - an easier leap for power-oriented folks. These function exceptionally well under power, too, so you can always put on the engines if you're not comfortable sailing at one time or another. Modern cruising sailboats are really power boats, too; they just have sails, too, To expand your options (and greatly extend your range).
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 08:16   #30

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

IMO, for your range of objectives, I don't think you can beat a passagemaking trawler with stabilizers, with nordhavn and kadey krogen at the top of the heap. The tiara is unsuited in many ways, from hull design, fuel efficiency & range, to many liveaboard at anchor factors.
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, trawler