Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2021, 06:45   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds
Nordhavn 41

My favorite power boat of all time was the Nordhavn 40. Not for the local cruiser or someone who had to get somewhere quickly. It had sailed around the world, but for 99% of us would simply be a great coastal cruiser that could take us anywhere we were really going. Then it died and now they have the 41. My first reaction was ugly and where is the pilot house. With time I've learned to accept that for me, this may be a better boat for how I really cruise. 1,000 miles each November to Pacific Mexico, returning in the spring with a couple trips to Catalina. The specs show a capability similar to the 40, although it looks more like their "35 Coastal Cruiser". What blows me away is that it is priced slightly less than the Beneteau 41 Swift Trawler. It is being built in Turkey, a place where some great boats have been built, but it would be fair to say the jury is still out on quality, but watching the videos it sure seems to be vintage Nordhavn. Thoughts or experiences?
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:30   #2

Re: Nordhavn 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzmeyer View Post
My favorite power boat of all time was the Nordhavn 40. Not for the local cruiser or someone who had to get somewhere quickly. It had sailed around the world, but for 99% of us would simply be a great coastal cruiser that could take us anywhere we were really going. Then it died and now they have the 41. My first reaction was ugly and where is the pilot house. With time I've learned to accept that for me, this may be a better boat for how I really cruise. 1,000 miles each November to Pacific Mexico, returning in the spring with a couple trips to Catalina. The specs show a capability similar to the 40, although it looks more like their "35 Coastal Cruiser". What blows me away is that it is priced slightly less than the Beneteau 41 Swift Trawler. It is being built in Turkey, a place where some great boats have been built, but it would be fair to say the jury is still out on quality, but watching the videos it sure seems to be vintage Nordhavn. Thoughts or experiences?
I think it looks fantastic. This is on our list of potential great loop boats down the road. It is also kind of a perfect size for a couple to pick up and tool around the med for a couple seasons then have it shipped over (although it could make it on its own). The N51 is also the only trawler on our list currently of boats for our upcoming adventures. We plan on visiting the factory in Turkey once the world is open again along with the other sailboat manufacturers we are considering. I'll report back after our trip!
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:13   #3

Boat: Catalina 320

They just delivered a couple to new owners in Dana Point, surprised to learn they make them in Turkey. Usually they'd bring 3 new boats by freighter to San Diego then run to Dana on their own bottoms where they install radars, satellite dishes and other electronics.
Caught my eye right away as I was kind of a fan of the "baby" nordies made previously.
I'm docked right in front of PAE and they have a few docks around me where they prep them for delivery. I think the new boats are already gone but I'll look around and see if there are any still here.
What year is your boat ? Drop me a line if you decide to go over to the dark side, might know a cash buyer nearby.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:47   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

"What year is your boat ? Drop me a line if you decide to go over to the dark side, might know a cash buyer nearby. "
It's a 2021. In 2020 I took delivery of a new Fountain Pajot Saona 47 in Florida with the intent of sailing it around to San Diego after a season or two in the Bahamas. Covid changed plans and I sold it for what I paid for it. The baby Jeanneau I got might be too small for my annual trip south in comfort, but don't plan to sell it yet.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzmeyer View Post
It's a 2021. In 2020 I took delivery of a new Fountain Pajot Saona 47 in Florida with the intent of sailing it around to San Diego after a season or two in the Bahamas. Covid changed plans and I sold it for what I paid for it. The baby Jeanneau I got might be too small for my annual trip south in comfort, but don't plan to sell it yet.

Good lord... are you looking for a spouse? I'm available and would like to submit my application.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:24   #6

how good are the stabalizers on a boat like that? do you get catamaran type stability? Seems like the center of gravity is pretty high on those boats.
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:31   #7

Check out this sites sister forum:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote