Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2020, 21:49   #1

New to this forum and boat life - need some help please

Hello there,
We are new to boating. We have been full time RVing for the past 7 years, a family of 4 , my husband myself and our 2 adult girls (23,26). We are now looking to start full time boating , live in BC and are looking to buy used yacht to start our new adventure. I was wondering if someone here would be able to kindly share some information on the full time boating in Canada? Are there any of you that have kids as our kids age and how is it going for you?
we are looking to buy used boat, we wanted 3 cabins , but it seems that based on our budget ( no more than 100k preferable around 60k or 70k) we would need to compromise on 2 cabins and maybe turn some area in the boat to 3rd cabin. Did anyone do it and have experience in it?
Are there specific boats/ makers that are better for beginners?

Basically any information you can please share with us regarding full time boating would be greatly appreciated and helpful. Thank you so much in advanced.
Newadventure52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 22:05   #2

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Re: New to this forum and boat life - need some help please

First, to clarify, are you thinking a sailboat or trawler style boat. You are in the "Power" boat section of these forums which means a trawler or other style power boats.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 00:12   #3

Hi,

We are looking for a trawler style or yacht style boat. Not sailing.
Old 23-05-2020, 01:46   #4

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

That's where the confusion lies. Outside the US a sailing vessel is a yacht, and vice versa
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 01:48   #5

Well I’m not so familiar with the terms in regards to their locations. Sorry about that.

To clarify it , we are looking for a motor only boat, to fit a family of 4 adults, no sailing , just motor.

And we are from BC, Canada.
Old 23-05-2020, 10:03   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
That's where the confusion lies. Outside the US a sailing vessel is a yacht, and vice versa
I think the confusion comes from the post alone. Certainly, sailboats are considered as yachts inside the US too. Actually any fair sized vessel that is used for pleasure is typically considered a yacht in the US.

We enjoy the confusion that can come by sharing the same language. When we were last in New Zealand we were told that there are no bears in the campgrounds; however, the local pronunciation caused us to believe that we were not allowed to have beer in the camp. We were never concerned about bears, but we did keep our beer out of sight!
Old 23-05-2020, 10:52   #7

Newadventure:

Here, in BC, the terminology is simple: A vessel used only for pleasure, whether powered by engine or by sail, is a "Yacht". This classification breaks down into "Motor Yachts" and "Sailing Yachts" and within each of these sub-classifications there are many further sub-classifications. For instance within the "Motor Yacht" classification you have (e.g.) "Trawler Yachts" and "Express Cruiser Yachts". There is no purpose in getting too technical about these things at this time, but the fact that you are not yet familiar with these fundamentals terms must necessarily indicate that there must be many other matters – matters essential to your success and safety - that you do not yet have knowledge of.

To select intelligently a boat that is suitable for your purposes, as you hve stated them, you need to know, for instance, that the theoretical maximum speed of a DISPLACEMENT hull (such as a “trawler”'s hull) is 1.35 times the square root of the boat's length on the waterline. For a forty-foot “trawler”, that implies 1.35 x SqRt(36) = 8 knots or so, which is just about the same as 15Km/H. To drive such a boat at this theoretical maximum speed (“hull speed”) you need about 130HP. Now an “express cruiser” with a PLANING hull, rather than a displacement hull, can go considerably faster than 8 knots. 20 Knots, say 30 Km/H, would be fairly typical. That is the same speed as, say, the ferry twixt Tsawassen and Duke Point. To drive the express cruiser at that speed you'll need something like 600 HP. This would normally be installed as two seperate engines, with all the complexities that that requires.

Diesel engines of this type have fuel consumptions that are fairly linearly related to power output. Off the top of my head, a 300HP machine will burn about 60 Litres per hour at full throttle Two of them driving an express cruiser at about a third of the speed of a Motor Home on the Trans Canada Highway will burn 120L per hour! In money terms, that is about $2.50 per MINUTE! By contrast, if you are content with going 15Km/H your fuel consumption is going to be something like 25L per hour. That STILL translates to a somewhat mindboggling 3L/Km!! NOT 3 km/L but 3L/Km!

Driving the boat is, as I said yesterday, the very least of becoming a seafarer. All that I said yesterday about the things you have to learn in addition to just learning to “steer” the boat holds true for Motor Yachts as much as for Sailing Yachts.

You also need to understand that Motor Yachts of a type and size your stated budget permits are FAR less seaworthy and safe than are Sailing Yachts available for the same amount of money. Within that enormous breakwater that is Vancouver Island, Motor Yacts are fine. In the hands of an inexperienced skipper going north of the top of Vancouver Island, into Hecate Strait, they can be dangerous. And let us not even speak about the west cost of Vancouver Island - “the graveyard of ships” -, or, a fortiori, the west coast of the States of Washington, Oregon and California.

So Motor Yachts are not, in my opinion, really suitable for the things you have indicated you would like to do.

As you and I are both in BC, you can, if you and your family would like to continue this conversation, contact me in the first instance by sending me a Private E-mail here on the forum.

All the best :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 11:05   #8

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newadventure52 View Post
Hello there,
We are new to boating. We have been full time RVing for the past 7 years, a family of 4 , my husband myself and our 2 adult girls (23,26). We are now looking to start full time boating , live in BC and are looking to buy used yacht to start our new adventure. I was wondering if someone here would be able to kindly share some information on the full time boating in Canada? Are there any of you that have kids as our kids age and how is it going for you?
we are looking to buy used boat, we wanted 3 cabins , but it seems that based on our budget ( no more than 100k preferable around 60k or 70k) we would need to compromise on 2 cabins and maybe turn some area in the boat to 3rd cabin. Did anyone do it and have experience in it?
Are there specific boats/ makers that are better for beginners?

Basically any information you can please share with us regarding full time boating would be greatly appreciated and helpful. Thank you so much in advanced.
I suggest you start here https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for...lumbia/?page=4 Pay particular attention to the engine. You'll find that three cabins are rare under 40'
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 11:15   #9

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Lots of trawler action in the Pacific Northwest. This primarily a sail boat forum. Yachting world or Yachtworld.com has power boat listings all over the world. There are countless brokers in the Vancouver and Seattle metropolitan areas. Also peruse Craig’s list and local papers for listings.

Walk the docks and talk to people who own boats. You would be surprised how much information you can come up with. People like to talk about their boats. Give compliments and you are in like gold. Bring a couple of beers and you are upgraded to Platinum.

Take your time. Take your time. Take a lot of time. Boats seem similar to RVing. But they are much different in costs and complexity. Marine exposure is the harshest environment on the planet. It affects everything metal and wiring in ways that will blow your mind. Ghosts, gremlins, fairies, leprechaun, evil spirits are words I am sure were created by seaman over thousands of years to convey their frustration and angst over things that went wrong on their vessels. Be prepared for that

You have to understand what engine setup works well in trawlers. Which engines have what problems and how to maintain them. Inverters or engine driven alternators for electrical production. Air conditioning and heating. Water production if you aren’t on a dock. There are so many variables. If you look at boats enough you will begin to form opinions of what you like and what you can afford.

Also you have to have a place to berth it. Live aboard status is a special privilege in San Francisco Bay. It is hard... really hard... to get a space for such a berth in my area. Also it is expensive as heck. Don’t forget boat insurance and maintenance costs. That bottom needs to be scrubbed every couple of months or you will have a beard very soon. That beard can destroy your bottom paint quicker than you think. Haul outs every year or so. So make sure you get your mind around all of that.

Many marinas have bulletin boards where you can find decent deals on boats. Also local yachting squadrons have tons of information about events where you can get to meet people. Introduce yourself and tell people what you are thinking. For the most part yachties will give you the skinny about how to proceed. We all been there. Wish you luck.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 12:06   #10

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

Being new to boating, I wouldn't decide on what boat to buy until you've had some experience on them. Perhaps even a few classes on power and sailboat handling would be well worth the time and expense. Sailing is quite pleasurable and takes little effort.
Sailboats are far more fuel efficient when motoring than most powerboats. at the same speed. Also less expensive per foot for similar vintage/ condition. Having a sail option can quiet the motion underway as well. Perhaps cruise the docks of the charter fleets and ask about the ones they sell. Go out for a trip on them. They charter powerboats as well and can explain the options and advantages of each. Consider where to keep it in the winter. Perhaps keep the RV and go south when it gets cold. Either way it will be a fun adventure.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 12:11   #11

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

here's one that seems to fill your bill

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...a-c-l-3201162/
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 12:59   #12

Caution re #11:

Do be aware that the suggested vessel is advertised at US$64K-odd.

At the present time US$65K = Can$90K!! In addition there would be 12% combined Provincial and Federal Sales Tax (HST) payable on the transaction.

Note also that this vessel is advertised as having a cruising speed of 8 knots and a maximum speed of 10 knots, i.e. it is a displacement hull that you cannot drive any faster than that. The installed power is 280HP in twin (aged) Volvos which (I am told) can be a pain and expensive to maintain. The fuel expense and consequent operating costs will therefore be right in line with what I suggested in a previous post.

Novices are very often blind to the fact that most people can find the money to BUY a boat. Not nearly as many can find the constant flow of money required to maintain and operate a boat.

TP
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 14:07   #13

Hi, Newadventures and welcome to the forum. First off, just ignore the in depth discussion on semantics, "Yacht vs power boat" and so forth. IMHO the BC coast is perhaps the finest cruising grounds in the world. Lots to see and do, you could cruise there your whole life and not see the same fijords and inlets twice. But, it is treacherous with very strong tide, wild winds, deep anchorages.
Now, some thoughts on your plans:
1. BC is great in the summer but dark, wet and cold in the winter months. Not sure that I would want to live aboard in Dec-Jan.
2. Though I have been a sailor all my life (learned in 1952), I believe that trawlers make more sense along the BC coast than a sailboat. You need to be able to time your entry into rapids rather precisely, that can be tough in a sailboat. And, it can be cold and wet and handling sails, steering from an open cockpit can get real old real fast.
3. You need your BC boaters license and if it were I, I would charter for a few weeks probably with an instructor/captain that can show you the ropes. First time out can be a real steep learning curve.
4. There is another forum on the web, the "Trawler Forum" that you might want to join. Perhaps some different insights on your plan.

Good luck and keep us informed.
Exctyengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 14:33   #14

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Here's one in your area, but it's wood. Pacific Boat Brokers are listing it. It needs some understanding on how to maintain. If you see a problem with a wood boat you must do something immediately. Don't wait a few weeks. Keep the paintwork up. Throw buckets of salt water over the decks almost daily. Allow air to travel around the boat especially in the bow and stern area. Don't stow wet ropes or gear in those areas..... you get the idea ?? Wooden boats are best not sitting in a marina and should be on a mooring or anchored out. Think fresh air and salt in the bilge. Best to get some advice before even thinking about it as this particular boat is very special and deserves a caring and knowledgeable owner. They might not even sell it to you. I doubt that I would if I owned this boat. The Gardner engine is very fuel efficient and legendary.....none better. Asking price 109k but you might get for 80K in this market. Click image for larger version

Name:	Diligence.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	215653
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 14:47   #15

Boat: Beneteau First 375

How, in good conscience, could you recommend a 70-year-old wooden boat to a complete newbie? And then turn around and say that you wouldn't sell them the boat if it was yours? Plus it's way over their stated budget? What was the point?
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, lease, rum