Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2021, 17:25   #1

New to forum

Coming up on first year with my willard,she has a detroit 453n with 1700 hrs,holds 500 gallons of fuel 300 of water,burns between 1 and 1.6 gph and has a range of over 2500 miles,she is 1964 number 12 of 39 built,runs and rides wonderfully,over the past year have done new solar setup with 4 6v 370 ah batteries,added a gulfcoast F1 fuel polishing system,insulated foc'sle to about 20 r value,ac,Chinese diesel heater,stidd helmsman seat,raymarine axiom,and now in the middle of building California closet in starboard side of foc'sle with Dickinson Antarctic drip heater with double turn coil hooked up to thermostat bypass and circulating pump to heat block and oil cooler,also have lived aboard full time,and like most plan to cruise her extensively when the time is right,but for now just keep tinkering away and enjoying my first summer with her
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vega36_clamseye (2).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	244623  
Lostsailor13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 18:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: New to forum

Detroit 53 & 71 engines are some of the most reliable engines ever made. No electronic sensors, no injector pump. Buy a service manual. Learn the maintenance, it's not hard. Stay away from most marina and yacht yard diesel mechanics. They don't understand the injection system, don't wanta learn and will only F' it up so it takes a couple hours to get everything back in adjustment.
I haven't had to touch my Detroits, except for maintenance, in 10 years.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 18:14   #3

Lepke ive talked to you on trawler forum a bunch about the thermostat bypass and a few other 453 questions,youve saved the day a few times for me already
Lostsailor13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 22:48   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsailor13 View Post
Coming up on first year with my Willard.
She's a beaut!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsailor13 View Post
Also have lived aboard full-time, and like most, plan to cruise her extensively when the time is right.

For now, just keep tinkering away and enjoying my first summer with her.

We have a band up here called Blue Rodeo who has a famous (to us) song that, this past weekend, they closed out their show:
Lost Together https://youtu.be/xAnJw9Ctqkc

The song popped into my head when I saw your Forum name...

Welcome Aboard!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rum