Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 14:47   #31

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post
DOH, so they are!

Now i've seen them, looks very sparten and cramped to me. You can get A LOT more space and comfort in a larger boat and probably for less money too.

Any reason you've set yourself on such a small boat? Fine for the ICW i'm sure but once you get out into the sea it won't be very comfortable.

I agree I could find bigger and cheaper but obviously, they'd be a lot more to run and maintain. I could just stay home and spend money.
As far as the need for comfort, people are at all kinds of crazy levels for that nowadays. I fit, middle of the bottom.
I'm still comfortable in a canoe for god's sake.
I get on a very large yacht and my stomach gets upset over the excess of it all.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 14:53   #32
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Kenny.... its the mind set driven/encouraged by the commecial interests in all walks of life and ego.... if its bigger it must be better....
Funny how the most popular and best selling car in the world (in recent history) is the VW Beetle...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 14:56   #33
vjm

If you are sold that it will work for you and your wife, I hope you buy and enjoy that boat. To me, not having an enclosed head would be a total deal breaker.

I am looking in the same price range, and the two boats below are some of the ones I would go look at today if I was ready to buy. Maybe one would suit you two?

1983 Atlantic/Prairie Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1976 Marine Trader Sedan Fly Bridge-Europa Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

If not, enjoy whatever you end up buying!
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 15:01   #34

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny chaos View Post
I get on a very large yacht and my stomach gets upset over the excess of it all.
LOL, as the owner of a large one, I can sympathise with that!

You obviously like this boat though so if you really need to have it, go for it. Don't get me wrong, she's a VERY pretty little boat and she looks in fantastic shape, here in the Europe we'd call her a 'river cruiser' though.

The difference in cost though is something i'd take issue with. We're not talking about exchanging for a 100ft supperyacht, the running costs for a 40ft will not break the bank over this one. Remember, WOOD and as the owner of a 57ft wooden motoryacht, I think I have some knowledge here. The do need more maintainance and the insurance can often be higher as well. This will outweigh any fuel or slip savings by going plastic and larger.

You have one more MAJOR cost to bear in mind though, depreciation. If this reccession keeps going, the boat market will stay low and probably drop more, if you don't get the price down you'll loose BUNDLES at resale. I'm sure the original owner did buy it for more previously BUT so did many others and all their prices have fallen as well.

I currently have my boat on the market for nearly HALF it's aggreed survey valuation and I'm getting little or no interest, it's a tough market out there, be carefull.
Old 04-01-2011, 15:27   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post
I currently have my boat on the market for nearly HALF it's aggreed survey valuation and I'm getting little or no interest, it's a tough market out there, be carefull.

So much for surveys eh?

Thanks for everyone's ideas. I mean it.
The only thing (other than price) stopping me is the $5k hauling fee. I'll find something closer to home after we finalize everything. Maybe before I sell my chain saws, I'll cut off the mast of a mono with a good diesel.
Old 04-01-2011, 15:29   #36

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
If you want wood, 26', diesel powered, i can supply for about 15% of asking on that Devlin

Seriously, i like devlin designs, but that price is eyebrow raising.
bljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 17:16   #37

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Kenny doesn't like the advice, good advice provided free by people with years of experience.

The only way Kenny is going to get experience is to purchase and love his boat. Love at first sight............yeah, I can remember many! Looking back later in years, many of those early "loves" were real dogs.

GO FOR IT KENNY!!! IT IS YOU MONEY!!!

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 17:31   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Kenny doesn't like the advice, good advice provided free by people with years of experience.

The only way Kenny is going to get experience is to purchase and love his boat. Love at first sight............yeah, I can remember many! Looking back later in years, many of those early "loves" were real dogs.

GO FOR IT KENNY!!! IT IS YOU MONEY!!!

Foggy

Get OFF my back Foggy.
Old 04-01-2011, 18:06   #39
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Foggy
Don't include me mate.... I think its a great boat... totally up to the job and a well built individual boat... just think the price is a bit high...
But then so are Masserati's, Ferrari's etc... over rated and over priced....
But then people buy them for just that reason.... they're not your bog standard 4door RV/Saloon that everyone and their neighbour has got or something very similar in style.... YAWN.....
Kenny... if its sound and press's the buttons for you and the Missus.... GO FOR IT
Screw the nay sayers...

Ishouldaddthefollowinghealthwarningepoxyhasbeenass ociatedwithmanyillnessesandsohaswoodso
Idisassociatemyselffromanyliabilitiesorclaimsthatm ayarisefromheedingthisadvisefurthermoreonfolloeing myown
decisionsI'veoftendroppedmyselfseverelyintheshitso absolvemyselfbysayingeverythingIsayshouldbetakenwi thagrainofsalt

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 19:55   #40

Hell, who are we to pop your dream? My thoughts are with the rest though, $2000 a foot is to much to spend on a wood boat in this market climate.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 20:06   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
I agree I could find bigger and cheaper but obviously, they'd be a lot more to run and maintain.
Kenny,

If maintenance time or costs are an issue may I suggest that maintenance on a larger, fiberglass boat would be a fraction of the maintenance on a smaller, wood boat. From one who has owned wood, glass, and steel boats.

If only a bit larger, running costs, dockage and repairs would be only slightly more.

Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 21:28   #42
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Kenny as an owner once of several mobos. The wood is one thing but if your intended journeys are as you have set out. This is the wrong boat. This is a " day boat". Suitable for enclosed waters. I wouldn't take the thing more then a mile or two from land. Comparing space on a boat to a trailer tent is way off the mark.

If you want a boat for day trips and perhaps s very odd overnighter. This might be a good choice. But for any sort of long journey it will become way too small.

Dave
Old 05-01-2011, 06:09   #43

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
Quote:
What concerns should I have?
As others pointed out, it seems over priced in today's market. see some comparisons:

1984 Ash Benford Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1981 Mainship Mark 1 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1978 Marine Trader Double Cabin Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 10-02-2011, 15:39   #44

So what happened here?

Did KC buy this boat?

IMHO, it looked as if he may have made up his mind before he asked the question(?)

Also, KC stated that "so much for the survey" regarding the price.....the survey would do more than set a worth of the vessel. It's an exhaustive hull check, systems and engine, to ensure there's nothing hidden from view (that might prevent the safe passage or greatly delay passage of the Great Loop).

In addition, there is a good reason for a larger vessel. There was a case where a guy "missed" the entrance (many entry/exits) of the ICW and ended up in open waters for a while, until he could get back in. That's not the boat for any "alternate" (unintended) plans. Bigger is safer....

Just my .02
JeePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 15:56   #45

Hey JP-
Welcome to the forums.
I'm honored, I think, that your first post was for me.
No, I didn't have my mind made up before I asked the question.
The wife and I are going to Canada this weekend to look at a real bluewater boat.
We'll also be covered as far as surveys if this boat "fits."
Thanks for your concern and please, tell us something about yourself.
Kenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeePete View Post
Did KC buy this boat?

IMHO, it looked as if he may have made up his mind before he asked the question(?)

Also, KC stated that "so much for the survey" regarding the price.....the survey would do more than set a worth of the vessel. It's an exhaustive hull check, systems and engine, to ensure there's nothing hidden from view (that might prevent the safe passage or greatly delay passage of the Great Loop).

In addition, there is a good reason for a larger vessel. There was a case where a guy "missed" the entrance (many entry/exits) of the ICW and ended up in open waters for a while, until he could get back in. That's not the boat for any "alternate" (unintended) plans. Bigger is safer....

Just my .02