Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2021, 11:23   #16

Re: motor yacht advice

I like the look of some of the sportfish models, but I don't think the inside would be large enough for long term living, and there is no stern bay for rib or pwc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	242475  
Sharked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 11:25   #17

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Honestly, the stern garage desire will limit you to large, expensive European style fast motoryachts (which have plenty of disadvantages). Just about anything that's not targeted at rich people in the Med won't have a garage. Realistically, carrying a decent size RIB isn't too hard on many boats. But carrying a PWC is tough, mostly because they're fairly heavy.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 11:27   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharked View Post
As far as bridges and canals, I imagine we would spend most of the time island hoping, however when hurricane season arrives perhaps head north on the ICW? Spending summers in northern USA and then head back down to the Caribbean in Nov?
I was thinking of the European inland waterways.

Unless you get really big, it's not much of an issue on the ICW.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 11:33   #19

Something like this I like for for PWC storage, but mostly have only seen this style on mega yachts. Any model less than 70ft have this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	66
Size:	391.2 KB
ID:	242477  
Old 21-07-2021, 11:39   #20

I think you need to narrow the parameters a little. That sportfish depending on length, will run you about 3.5 million, and will burn approximately 100 gals an hour at cruise speed (between 30-35 knots). I can’t tell much from your second picture except that one will probably be more expensive than the sportfish.
Wheelguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 11:40   #21

Quote:
Something like this I like for for PWC storage, but mostly have only seen this style on mega yachts. Any model less than 70ft have this?
The problem is unless it's a big boat, that garage eats up most of the cockpit.

You might look at boats that have a small crane on the front deck that can lift a dingy (or PWC) onto the bow.

Honestly, most would lean toward a dingy. If you get a high powered one, it can serve as a joy ride and as practical transport. PWC don't work so great running in to do grocery shopping from an anchorage.

Used to have an inflatable tunnel hull with a 40hp outboard. I could run down most jet skis and go anywhere they can. It actually handled rough water better than most jet skis...but it also could carry 6 if needed at slower speeds.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 11:42   #22

Seems there is stern garage available on sailboats in the 60ft range, (62ft Beneteau) but I have not found anything in a similar length motor yacht

This Beneteau is really nice, love how the door becomes the swim platform when lowered, great for swimming and diving.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rear_platform.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	242483  
Old 21-07-2021, 11:47   #23

I was just saying I like the sleek lines of the sportfish, I am not looking to spend 3.5 mil

2nd pic was just showing an example stern garage, that I was hoping to find possible in the 60-70ft range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelguns View Post
I think you need to narrow the parameters a little. That sportfish depending on length, will run you about 3.5 million, and will burn approximately 100 gals an hour at cruise speed (between 30-35 knots). I can’t tell much from your second picture except that one will probably be more expensive than the sportfish.
Old 21-07-2021, 11:54   #24

I would suggest that you do a search on yachtworld.com. Enter your price parameters and see what is available. This will give you a better idea of what is available in your price range. Also remember that as the size gets bigger, so do all of the bills. You will have insurance, dockage, maintenance, repairs, and a pile of other expenses that will quickly add up.
Wheelguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 12:02   #25

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
That being said, if we take ocean crossing off the table, if we were going to spend next 10+ years living on a motor yacht and staying within the Caribbean islands is there specific brands or models that you would recommend I focus on?

My thoughts are:
- budget $500K
- Something 40-60ft range (2 heads, master + 2-3 guest staterooms)
- As self sufficient as possible (water maker, etc)
- Newer style looking (wife's preference)
- Air compressor for scuba diving (or at least the boat should be suitable enough that I can have one added)

Lots of OK brands are out there, but matching models to requirements needs more understanding of requirements.

What kind of master stateroom? Forward, i.e., in the bow, maybe an island queen berth? Or mideships? Walk-around berth? Or in an aft-cabin?

What kind of guests? Long term? Or very short term? Or only very occasionally? (nearby hotel rooms can work great)

Galley up or down? Flybridge? Or not? If so, stairs, or is a ladder OK?

Lower helm required?

Et cetera. You might try to refine your gotta have's, would like to have's, really don't wants, and so forth... then get a copy of the Powerboat Guide (softcopy allows keyword searching)... and try to match your lists to what's been made. (PBG doesn't actually have everyboat ever made, but it's a good start... then you can sometimes find outliers on yachtworld, too.)

I can illustrate the process: We wanted to move from an island queen forward master to a mid-ships master. 20-ish kt high cruise. Flybridge with stairs, with helm positioned aft. (Some other stuff, too.) There are approximately two (!!!) affordable (in our budget) models of boat like that, made within the last 15 years. But going through that process meant we could slough off most of the random boats on the market, not even bother to inspect...

-Chris
Old 21-07-2021, 12:45   #26

The most interior space will be a boat with an aft-stateroom. The best configuration for diving and getting on/off a dinghy is something with an aft-deck. Most aft-stateroom motoryachts don't have aft-decks, but some do.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...yacht-3852811/

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...yacht-3837454/

The second one - the Hatt 70 - ticks many of your boxes. Three full staterooms, somewhat modern look your wife wants. Far enough under your budget you could have a robust swim platform built and keep your PWC there (I've seen it done).

The first one - the Defever 44+5 cockpit motoryacht would get you across the Atlantic in a pinch, but only has two staterooms. It's also old-school. Cost of ownership/operation of the Defever would be well under half the Hatt due to complexity of systems on the Hatt (likely has 6 A/Cs alone - I can promise you that, no more than 4 or 5 are operational at any given time). I make an above-average living and I don't think I could afford to cruise the Hatt if it was free, which may explain why a boat with a >$3m replacement cost is selling for $400k (BTW - the Defever was about $450k base price in 2000).

But here's a better way of thinking of it. On a cruise, you're thinking you'll be spending plenty of time on azure water, maybe speeding along on your PWC. But......you will be spending a LOT of time fixing stuff, which means the Engine Room. Personally, the Defever's engine room is a lot more approachable than the Hatt's. I'm a pretty fair mechanic, but I find the Hatt's ER intimidating.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Defever 44 Engine Room.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	242485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hatt 70 Engine Room.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	242486  

mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 13:40   #27

I like the aft-cabin for master, but realize that if there is a stern garage that probably isn't possible, otherwise midship would be my 2nd choice, with bow being last.

For guests it would be my son and daughter maybe twice a year for a week or so at a time. Having a larger master suite and one other guest stateroom and head would be sufficient if there is other seating areas that could be temporary beds if needed.

Galley & Flybridge I am open to any, and same with ladder or stairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Lots of OK brands are out there, but matching models to requirements needs more understanding of requirements.

What kind of master stateroom? Forward, i.e., in the bow, maybe an island queen berth? Or mideships? Walk-around berth? Or in an aft-cabin?

What kind of guests? Long term? Or very short term? Or only very occasionally? (nearby hotel rooms can work great)

Galley up or down? Flybridge? Or not? If so, stairs, or is a ladder OK?

Lower helm required?

Et cetera. You might try to refine your gotta have's, would like to have's, really don't wants, and so forth... then get a copy of the Powerboat Guide (softcopy allows keyword searching)... and try to match your lists to what's been made. (PBG doesn't actually have everyboat ever made, but it's a good start... then you can sometimes find outliers on yachtworld, too.)

I can illustrate the process: We wanted to move from an island queen forward master to a mid-ships master. 20-ish kt high cruise. Flybridge with stairs, with helm positioned aft. (Some other stuff, too.) There are approximately two (!!!) affordable (in our budget) models of boat like that, made within the last 15 years. But going through that process meant we could slough off most of the random boats on the market, not even bother to inspect...

-Chris
Old 21-07-2021, 20:14   #28

Do you think either of these two model is suitable for live-aboard in the Caribbean?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...sport-3851219/
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...yacht-3811435/

Seems on the cheaper side for the amount of boat you get
Old 21-07-2021, 20:24   #29

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn.225 View Post
Ticks most of my boxes
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 20:25   #30

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
I don't think I would want to go much bigger then that, but I should have added in my post that my wife prefers something a bit more modern looking.

Most of what I have found only have a range of few hundred nm

For example, she loves the look and style of this:
https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2017...erseo-7949022/

But its too long, too expensive, and only has a range of 315nm.
Ticks not a single one of my boxes
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, motor, yacht