Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2015, 17:26   #1

Boat: Rosborough RF246 & 15' Boston Whaler
Maritime Law

Just curious. I'm not a licensed captian, just a "she" boat owner, but recently wound up in an aweful position with the worlds worst crew.

I was in the Bahamas with crew that had previously crossed the Atlantic as an engineer aboard a sailboat.

I owned the boat, he was a guest, not paid crew. Traveled from FL to Bahamas. While in Bahamas, I knew I was in trouble, he couldn't read a chart, use a GPS or do much else besides tell me what to do.

I wanted to leave him in Andros to make his way home. I got threatened with "maritime law" he said I had to return him to original port. Also got told an "engineer" could overrule a "captain" on a boat.

Neither will make a difference, I'm home safe and returned with the idiot, but curious if there is any merit to any of these statements.

Thank you in advance. I will know my crew better in the future and got my own boat back to and from Bahamas on my own skill.
Boatlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 17:36   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Maritime Law

I don't and don't really care, once he started to make those bold claims he would have been on the beach watching my stern sail away!
Old 11-06-2015, 17:40   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

He's wrong on both counts......and I used to be a USCG licensed engineer.

And he's a d....bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 17:55   #4

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatlegs View Post
Just curious. I'm not a licensed captian, just a "she" boat owner, but recently wound up in an aweful position with the worlds worst crew.

I was in the Bahamas with crew that had previously crossed the Atlantic as an engineer aboard a sailboat.

I owned the boat, he was a guest, not paid crew. Traveled from FL to Bahamas. While in Bahamas, I knew I was in trouble, he couldn't read a chart, use a GPS or do much else besides tell me what to do.

I wanted to leave him in Andros to make his way home. I got threatened with "maritime law" he said I had to return him to original port. Also got told an "engineer" could overrule a "captain" on a boat.

Neither will make a difference, I'm home safe and returned with the idiot, but curious if there is any merit to any of these statements.

Thank you in advance. I will know my crew better in the future and got my own boat back to and from Bahamas on my own skill.
Misrepresentation tends to void your rights. Not that he had any.

As the owner you get to chose the captain.

Has this guy previously been a squatter?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 18:03   #5

Boat: Chris-Craft Carribean 35'

What a clown! Pretty sure the Captain can make the engineer walk the plank!
Capt. Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 18:31   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Basically, he took advantage of you. There a lot of men like that....and some women, as well. As the owner/skipper you should have made sure that the crew understood there would be instructions, which must be obeyed, and that failure to do so was reason enough to return to port with him...or her, 'cause it can happen both ways.

It will be hard, but what will be growthful for you if you choose to do it is to have a really close look at what hidden benefits there are for you in playing the compliance game. Once you understand that, it is easier to take a hard line.

Lots of women are afraid of men saying something they do is "unfeminine." If you want to be liked, and perceived as "feminine" someone else can exploit that aspect of your character. I'm not saying that that particular shoe fits your foot, just that it might be so---and might not.

FWIW, knew a skipper once that made sure he held $$ in the amount of return flight to port of origin that all the crew had to supply before they were accepted aboard, that he kept in a locked box aboard, along with their passports..

These days, you cannot do anything to crew that can kill them, like walking the plank or keelhauling.

All for now, gotta work above decks.

Ann
Old 11-06-2015, 18:40   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I am no legal expert but logically, morally and ethically and to the best of my knowledge, legally as well, you are not only the captain but also the owner of the boat.

No one else has no right or authority to give orders or make rules on board but you except in extreme, extenuating circumstances, like you are getting ready to murder someone.

Again I'm no legal expert but there may be some obligation to be responsible for crew you bring into another country.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote