Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2020, 10:42   #1

Boat: Albin 36 Express Trawler
maintenance for trawler kept in slip

We have an Albin 36 express trawler. We are keeping it in a slip in Florida year round. I am looking for a check sheet for maintenance. Does anyone have one or suggestions?
vlathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:52   #2

Re: maintenance for trawler kept in slip

When it's dirty...clean it. When it looks like it's rusted, cracked, weathered, or worn...replace it. When it breaks....fix it.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 14:12   #3

Not very helpful.

I was talking about maintenance of large items like generators, air conditioning, etc. Need to put together a check list, especially since we're snowbirds and not there for 6 months.
Old 09-07-2020, 15:35   #4

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Just like a car, works best when used daily,,,since you are not able to do that, find someone to start and run her and the components weekly. If not, pull her and keep on the hard, fog all the engines and put fresh water in all the cooling hoses and thru hulls after closing them. A/C pump can fail and sink at the dock if you are away for weeks. Plus who will adjust lines when a Hurricane hits??
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 17:54   #5

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 32

Here’s something that could be a starting point for you: https://www.discoverboating.ca/ownin...e/startup.aspx

Also, if you have an iPhone there is an app called Boat Minder MV that’s great for keeping maintenance checklists organized and other boat operation related tasks.
bigdogandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 18:06   #6

Reference for a company that performs dockside maintenance for boats. They have a very long list of services, just click on each topical section, or call them to discuss.

https://www.myyachtmanagement.com/se...rvice-programs
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 03:59   #7

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlathom View Post
Not very helpful.

I was talking about maintenance of large items like generators, air conditioning, etc. Need to put together a check list, especially since we're snowbirds and not there for 6 months.

Much of your maintenance will be about fixing whatever just broke. Some of the guidelines for routine maintenance (engine, generator, etc.) will be written based on "XXX engine hours or one year, whichever comes first." And as said above, some stuff breaks from boredom (lack of use).

You can likely get softcopy manuals for every system in the boat. Do that. Many won't contain much about periodic maintenance or service, but they'll usually have parts lists and you'll eventually want those. Engine and generator manuals, especially important.

But I'd be inclined to hire a maintenance company or concierge service for that kind of situation. They may be able to provide "checklist" ideas, from which you can build your own... but they can also turn everything one once/week (??) or so (e.e., freshwater system), confirm what's still working, alert you to what just broke, etc.

A couple obvious chores would be about periodic hull cleaning and AC systems service; a management company could do the latter and contract with a diver for the former.

-Chris
Old 10-07-2020, 04:16   #8

Add in the cost of having the hull scraped every month or so, for one thing.

When we had our boat in a slip in south Florida, for three years, we had to had to have it done every month, even right after a bottom job. It's a lot harder, and more expensive job, to just have it done when you get down there after letting the barnacles have their way with your girl for six months.

And, f you're going to leave it unattended, for months a time, you really should hire someone to be checking on it on a regular basis. Add that cost in, too.

After that, it's just what breaks, which no one can predict.
Old 10-07-2020, 09:29   #9

Boat: 1996 49' Krogen Express

We leave our 49' Krogen Express for a longer period of time when boat is in Florida. We attempt to have the following done:

1. If AC's are left on, Clean AC pump strainers weekly or monthly depending on where you are. If in Florida, you will probably be running them a lot at dock due to heat and humidity.
2. Have bottom cleaned at least once a month.
3. Have someone (concierge) get on boat and run engines, check refrigeration, and exercise sea cocks generally looking for anything that is amiss or needs repairs such as leaks, etc.
4. Make sure Marina has good contact info for you and check in with the office once in a while to inquire about your boat and remind them to keep an eye on it.

5. Have someone on call to do Hurricane preparations such as double lines, canvas removal, and securing loose furniture, etc.
6. I had a Siren Boat monitoring system installed. This alerts my phone as to any unusual activity such as excess bilge pump cycling, shore power going off, battery levels and conditions. Can also set up alarm on boat if needed. Worth while investment for peace of mind.

Try to get to your boat as often as you can - it's good for the soul!
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:05   #10

Thanks everyone for your very helpful suggestions. I do have someone checking the boat regularly, including starting it, cleaning the bottom, changing the Dry-Rid. We have a hurricane plan.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:17   #11

Thanks for the help everyone. We do have someone looking after the boat, starting it regularly, cleaning bottom and monitoring for problems. Also, we have hurricane plan. Wanted to educate myself. Thanks again.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:01   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
We have an Albin 36 express trawler. We are keeping it in a slip in Florida year round. I am looking for a check sheet for maintenance. Does anyone have one or suggestions?
Some 'dock boys", that work for the marina probably has a100 ton. Pay one of them to fire things up periodically.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 19:36   #13

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58

Quote:
I guess the first question that comes to mind is, why not have her hauled out and set in the yard?
CruisingCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 05:48   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingCouple View Post
I guess the first question that comes to mind is, why not have her hauled out and set in the yard?
If I wasn't going to use my boat, or be around it for half the year, I think I would sleep better with it hauled and in a yard.
Old 23-07-2020, 08:53   #15

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
If I wasn't going to use my boat, or be around it for half the year, I think I would sleep better with it hauled and in a yard.
Absolutely. It greatly minimizes maintenance and costs on a boat that is only used 6 months out of the year. And allows tending to maintenance that can't be done on her with the boat in the water.

Not to mention having her secure in a locked yard vs in a slip, where unless you have somebody living aboard she is still not attended around the clock. I've seen way too many boats either sunk in the slip or on fire, unattended, because somebody didn't notice there was a problem until it was too late.
CruisingCouple is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, trawler