Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2010, 19:59   #1

Left My Boat Uncovered in Rain

I bought a Maxum 2400 SCR cruiser on Friday. I was planning on having the boat delivered on Saturday to the marina where it will be dry stored so I left it uncovered. So, the delivery isn't going to happen until Wednesday but it rained today. The boat was left at a boat consignment store outside in the rain. The helm is covered and the entry to the cabin is closed and locked. My concern is water in the bilge, and wet carpet and seats. It wasn't a heavy rain, but steady for a few hours.

Will this cause any major problems? What's the best way to dry the seats?I'm going out there tomorrow AM to check it out. This is my first boat, so I would appreciate any help/advice.
rick1906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 20:13   #2

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Arnt the seats vinyl?...Should be no big deal...The bilge pumps should take care of any water collected in the engine bay (Bilge)...usually the lowest part of a power boat...

If its out of the water you should always pull the drain plug so it can self drain...a trailor sunk boat is a sad sight.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 20:34   #3

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post

If its out of the water you should always pull the drain plug so it can self drain...a trailor sunk boat is a sad sight.
Always, always remember to put the plug back in. I let some family borrow a ski boat of mine and they nearly sunk it at the ramp.

Water and sun are vinyl seat's worst enemy. If you want them to last and continue looking good don't leave this boat uncovered in the rain very much.

But stillraining is right, you didn't do anything to hurt your boat.

You say "dry stored." Are they putting it in a building? If so I might would leave it uncovered for a day or two to let the carpet and seats dry out then cover it to keep the dust off it.
Fiveslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 08:03   #4

Location: Along the Manatee River in Southwest Florida. Little town called Ellenton.
Boat: 32 Hatteras and 26 foot former Navy Lifeboat
Boat = watertoy=waterproof or to be wet occationally. They dry out and you can wet them again later. Boat on trailer, plug out and cover on. Dry storage? Plug in and cover on to cut down on dust, dirt and bird droppings because the rain can not wash it off. I use a hose on our boat every morning. Outside seats, deck chairs, grill and anything else in my line of sight gets hosed down. It dries off in very short order. Just wipe the seats off and let the sun dry it. It's a BOAT! Go play with it and get it wet. That's why you bought it. Right? Sorry, I can't get used to a boat that you have to worry about getting wet. Carpet? indoor/outdoor. Most likely plastic in this day and age. Hose the dust off and fire that badboy up and go play. Trust me, it's a lot of fun.
White Feather is offline   Reply With Quote