Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2012, 06:59   #1

Boat: Regal 4260 44 foot
Lake Worth to Grand Bahama

How to I find boats going across to follow out of Lake Worth? It is our first crossing and we would like to follow someone next weekend?

Thanks,
Aaronjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 07:49   #2

Boat: Nothing large at the moment
Re: Lake Worth to Grand Bahama

Most anchor around Peanut Island and just to the south before an early predawn departure. Either call on the VHF or ride around in your dinghy the day before you plan on crossing.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 08:03   #3

Thanks. I will do that. Winds have been out of North, but hopefully by Sat or Sun they will turn...
Old 24-06-2012, 09:12   #4

Boat: Bristol 41.1

First off, this is an easy passage, and if you and your boat are sea worthy, you will have no difficulty - weather permitting of course.

My suggestion would be to anchor just north of the Lake Worth Inlet, in the water between Singer Island and Peanut Island. The holding there, in settled conditions, is good, and you won't run the risk of running aground in the dark if leaving from other locations in Lake Worth. There will likely be several other boats planning the same approach, so you won't be alone. There is considerable ship traffic through this inlet, so be prepared for some rocking, and display plenty of lights to avoid any incidents - masthead anchor lights are not always sufficient.

If leaving in the dark, make all your preparations the night before so you will have little to do in the morning besides weighing anchor and heading out.

There is clear marking of the channel, though at times there can be a strong tidal sweep as you venture toward the further markers. Pay attention to your course as well as other traffic. With all the shoreside lights, picking out the running lights of other vessels against the background can sometimes be a challenge. A second set of eyes will be helpful. I am always more comfortable when alone on the seas, with just the stars for company.

If you feel that you need to buddy boat across, many crossing cruisers can be found at the marinas - typically the cheaper ones like Riviera, (though we prefer the north end of the lake). You could also just hang behind a similar speed vessel leaving at the same time, and on your same basic heading (roughly 120M if heading towards Jack Tar/West End/Old Bahama Bay).

If this is your first crossing, you may find it difficult to get a good nights sleep before you shove off, so it might make sense to make this a shorter hop and stop at West End, rather than pushing on toward Lucaya or further. The entrance to West End is also pretty easy to follow, though the marina there is a bit pricey. Still, it's a good first landfall.

Have fun on your crossing!!
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 11:56   #5

Thank you so much for the awesome advice... I am looking forward to it.