Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2020, 11:18   #1

Boat: Sabre 34 sloop
Lake Champlain to Hudson River

I've been told that one can get from Lake Champlain to the Hudson River. Is that true? I'm told there are about 7 locks to go thru. Does anyone have experience or knowledge of this the route? I have a 28 ft trawler which draws very little.
tootalltony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 11:42   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Lake Champlain to Hudson River

No problem, easy run. Google Champlain Canal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	champlain.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	225251  
Old 15-10-2020, 11:44   #3

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Yes, there is the Champlain Canal w/5 locks before you hit the Hudson.
If you are going this year, no fees but they will close the canals in November.

You can find our more info here: New York State Canals

Edit: Scratch that Nov. closing date, they closed the canals yesterday. http://www.canals.ny.gov/boating/hours.html
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 14:17   #4

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

We did this (in the other direction) in 2016, as part of our Down East Loop. I did a bit of a blog of the trip. The segment from Albany to Lake Champlain starts here.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 14:42   #5

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Actually,although Whitehall is lock #12, there are 11 locks. Then the federal lock at Albany. They all closed yesterday, oct14.Nice trip for next year,several free tie up places.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 08:31   #6

It's a wonderful trip. You did not say your air-draft and that's possibly the bigger deal. I brought a 46' downeaster with flybridge out of Longueil (across from Montreal) to the Chesapeake some years back and after taking off the bimini and dropping the radar and mast, I actually laid on the flybridge deck and pushed the boat through -- with my nose just clearing it. That Whitehall bridge was an old old bridge so I wonder if it has been changed... anyone know ?
Mlp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 08:41   #7

We did this about 3 years ago...the river that is between the north end of the canal (Whitehall) and the south end of Champlain can get quite shallow....we draw 4 ft and were quite nervous at times. That said, it was a really scenic trip. There are many places where speed is limited to 10mph, either because you are in a dug-out canal, or you are passing by times with docks/boats on the water.
A nice stop is Kingston - neat museum there.
AND also: Schuyler Yacht Basin RV Park & Marina

We stayed at both places....
kysloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 08:49   #8

Boat: Tartan 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kysloc View Post
We did this about 3 years ago...the river that is between the north end of the canal (Whitehall) and the south end of Champlain can get quite shallow....we draw 4 ft and were quite nervous at times. That said, it was a really scenic trip. There are many places where speed is limited to 10mph, either because you are in a dug-out canal, or you are passing by times with docks/boats on the water.
A nice stop is Kingston - neat museum there.
AND also: Schuyler Yacht Basin RV Park & Marina

We stayed at both places....
They must has dredged it we never saw less than 10 feet back in August.

Sailboats will have to drop the mast.
ABJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 09:58   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

It is a nice trip. Don't exceed the speed limit since the next lock tender knows when you should arrive and won't open for you till then.
Enjoy!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 12:28   #10

Boat: Sabre 34 sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlp48 View Post
It's a wonderful trip. You did not say your air-draft and that's possibly the bigger deal. I brought a 46' downeaster with flybridge out of Longueil (across from Montreal) to the Chesapeake some years back and after taking off the bimini and dropping the radar and mast, I actually laid on the flybridge deck and pushed the boat through -- with my nose just clearing it. That Whitehall bridge was an old old bridge so I wonder if it has been changed... anyone know ?
My air draft is about 10 ft. How long a trip is it from the south end of Lake Champlain to NYC?.........traveling around 10 k or less and running 8 or 9 hrs a day?
tootalltony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 12:43   #11

Boat: GibSea 472

For a sailboat, dismasting is mandatory, but easy done with experts at both ends of the cannal. It is a pleasant run if you take your time and visit small town along the way. However it would take longer. I once in a hurry, went trough all lock starting very early at Troy. I shall add that the lock operator in early spring where very helpfull and comunicated from lock to lock so they where ready to pass our boat.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 13:05   #12

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

The State of NY canal System publishes a great book, The Cruising Guide to the New York State Canal System.

This year, when I checked pre-pandemic, they were already behind on production. It's possible they never even printed it, or perhaps they did and have a ton left over. It's worth giving them a call to find out. I forget which office prints it, but they're all listed here: Canal Phone Numbers - New York State Canals

Also, go to their web site, New York State Canals and check out all the on-line maps (charts) and other info.

This way, you can plan the trip yourself based on your speed, where you'd like to stop, and how long a day you want to put in. I will say that the lock operating hours this year were subject to change, especially on the Western half of the Erie, but hopefully next year things will be back on the published schedules.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 13:18   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie View Post
For a sailboat, dismasting is mandatory, but easy done with experts at both ends of the cannal. It is a pleasant run if you take your time and visit small town along the way. However it would take longer. I once in a hurry, went trough all lock starting very early at Troy. I shall add that the lock operator in early spring where very helpfull and comunicated from lock to lock so they where ready to pass our boat.
Amen on lock operators being helpful. I think it all comes down how you treat them. An A-hole can have another experience. That water can come in or flow out at there control.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 13:29   #14

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootalltony View Post
My air draft is about 10 ft. How long a trip is it from the south end of Lake Champlain to NYC?.........traveling around 10 k or less and running 8 or 9 hrs a day?
You can do it comfortably in three days if you use the tide on the river. It is noticeable even up to Albany.
Old 16-10-2020, 13:40   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
We did this (in the other direction) in 2016, as part of our Down East Loop. I did a bit of a blog of the trip. The segment from Albany to Lake Champlain starts here.

Thanks so much for that link, great story, well written, informative and fun!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Hudson