Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2009, 09:03   #1

Lagoon Powercat 43

We have slowly changed our thoughts from sail to power. We are considering the purchase of a Lagoon Powercat 43. Aside from the typical magazine reviews, we are having a hard time finding information from owners or folks with time onboard one of these cats. The boat looks very interesting. Does anybody out there know about them: Quality, design, comfort, range, etc.

Cheers,
Erik
Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 15:06   #2

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
I thought they were quite ordinary

Pitiful shade structure on flybridge reminiscent of Fred Flintstones car

Not enough shade down aft

Tiny cramped galley, I had a larger one on my performance 32 foot sailing cat

Annoying having to climb up over the back cabin to get to anything

Back cabin had nice sized berth, with access all round like in a real bedroom, but no headroom unless you are 3 ft short

Terribly inefficient hullshape compared to other vessels of similar size

No thought as to where a substantial dingy will go

The entire design felt a bit higgedy pigeldy to me, compared to other vessels of similar size and I actually used this vessel as a "What not to do with a powercat" when doing mine

I think there are better vessels for comparable money or less

Sorry if I sound harsh, but this just wasn't a well thought out vessel and in no way would I consider it liveaboard
Old 23-11-2009, 15:29   #3

Cat Man Do,
Thanks for your insight...harsh is what I was looking for.
I had the same misgivings about the flybrdge shade.
Did not think about crawling over the back deck to get to things.
What vessels do you have in mind that are better as a liveaboard for "comparable money or less"? Those vessels would help us continue in our search.

Cheers,
Erik
Old 23-11-2009, 16:30   #4

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
I will list a few Oz boats that I would look at if it were me
Also note that I am after efficiency as well, so lower horsepower, increased economy and range.
I am also after a passagemaker, not a marina or weekend boat
having spoken to more than a few power delivery guys and done a few powered delivery myself, sea state often dictates a 10 knot cruise, so why have a 20 knot vessel?

Some for sale at the moment that I would consider if wanting to buy instead of build
This is in no way an endorsement to these particular vessels, but I know enough about them to suggest that this style or type would suit me.

Similar concept to mine, but I went longer hulls with similar accom.

KERR CUSTOM boat details - BoatPoint Australia

Have actually been on this vessel, I liked it

STANYON 40 POWER CAT boat details - BoatPoint Australia

COMPU-CRAFT POWER CATAMARAN boat details - BoatPoint Australia

Would possibly benefit well from extra waterline length with same accom.

SEA CREST 40 boat details - BoatPoint Australia

Extended coastal with the right weather window
Roughy, but I still like the idea and concept for coastal liveaboard, but the build is more than likely to heavy in my opinion
I dont like the no side decks

NUSTAR 40 HOME CRUISER boat details - BoatPoint Australia

Ply, but like above, the concept is good

POWERCAT CUSTOM boat details - BoatPoint Australia

Note that all of these have low 100hp or less sized engines
Old 24-11-2009, 07:30   #5

Thanks for taking the time to post all that useful information. Your criteria is in line with what we are looking for....smaller engines (naturally aspirated), efficient, good side decks, shaft drive, secure tender storage, etc. Having far greater knowledge than I, I will reach out to you if I have any questions about specific power cats.

Cheers,
Erik
Old 02-07-2010, 19:46   #6

Boat: Manta 44 PC Pangaea
Power Cat

Please consider US made PCs such as the Manta 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixer View Post
We have slowly changed our thoughts from sail to power. We are considering the purchase of a Lagoon Powercat 43. Aside from the typical magazine reviews, we are having a hard time finding information from owners or folks with time onboard one of these cats. The boat looks very interesting. Does anybody out there know about them: Quality, design, comfort, range, etc.

Cheers,
Erik
Sailor-Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 06:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor-Gene
Please consider US made PCs such as the Manta 44
Did you purchase yet? We have been Lagoon Power 43 owners for seven years, options make all the difference on this vessel. From the factory it comes with little. The individual designs for added equipment are quite different on each vessel. So what's an important option. actually the more one adds the more enjoyable the vessel is. The refrigerator it comes with is totally inadequate, one does not spend that kind of money on a boat and skimp so, sat.phone, sat.TV, ice maker, quality HVAC system. High performance inverter, do not skimp on the generator, we probably have the best designed davit system I've have seen for the 12' dingy, a quality water maker and do not skimp on electronics, because we entertain a lot the lighting and sound systems are important for those late evening wine parties. Ours is an owners floor plan and we love the utility of the boat we left our sixty-five-hundred sq. ft. home and lived aboard comfortably for six months as we explored the U.S. eastern seaboard. There is tons of storage all over the boat and that is r nice plus it's dry storage. The floor plan has lots of steps which we have found helps us exercise and maintain agility while on board. One comment you may not hear is, I feel for maximum comfort the owners of this vessel should be no taller than 5'10" and weigh no more than 200 pounds. While the boat has a very spacious feel while on board when you start getting into the nooks and crannies to do maintenance and repairs you will understand and appreciate this comment. Entertaining at the dock, this is a beautiful boat for that we have had over thirty people on board and it was still comfortable. On day trips underway ten to sixteen is a comfortable number to travel with. The boat handles well in the waters up to two plus foot seas we use crystal long stem wine glasses. Even with following seas to five feet things are quite calm. Heading into five foot seas at speeds consistent with comfort the forward deck will be constantly wet and you will probably feel most comfortable operating from the flybridge. For as wide as this boat is it's very easy to dock once you learn go slow like a pore. With just the two you props this vessel can do a 360 with in it's own length. Do you want to hear more? Just so I make this clear the worst part of this boat is the manufacturer and dealer, for the most part other than lip service they abandon us after the check cleared the bank. All major components that are not U.S. installed options come from somewhere in Europe and the wait for OEM parts and air freight can get out of hand. Stay away from colored gelcoat if you want color have the vessel painted with a high quality marine paint by a reputable marine contractor.
RT Klamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 13:59   #8

Boat: Manta 44 PC Pangaea
Re: Lagoon Powercat 43

Thanks for your response... It sounds like you love your Lagoon as much as we enjoy our Manta 44 Power Cat!! The Manta was designed with American style owners in mind. In fact the Manta owner was 6'2" so even the berths and overheads accommodate those taller than us. Lots of storage on any cat is a double edged sword. All cats are weight sensitive and too much weight reduces performance. BUT we were full time liveaboards with no home base. We added 2+" on the waterline!! and still cruised 8 Knots @ 2.5 GPH. You can see Pangaea at Manta 44' Power Cat "PANGAEA" FOR SALE BY OWNER BASICS
Sailor-Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:34   #9

Check out the new Z10 from parallelyachts .
great coastal cruiser , maybe not ideal for ocean crossings but certainly looks good.
Al Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 15:14   #10

Hi all in this thread, just testing.
gregagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 15:17   #11

I'm from Athens Greece and I'm looking for a Lagoon Powercat 43 to use it here for a new type of business in out local waters.Is anybody interested for a chat?
gregagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 17:03   #12

Boat: Passagemaker Lite
Send a message via Skype™ to Ataraxia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregagg View Post
I'm from Athens Greece and I'm looking for a Lagoon Powercat 43 to use it here for a new type of business in out local waters.Is anybody interested for a chat?
www.bakricono.com the 62 footer presently being custom build is cheaper and way more luxurious than the 55 footer from Fontaine Pajot. And it can be build with any of your desires
Old 22-07-2013, 04:08   #13

Boat: Lagoon 43 Power

First of all greetings you, Сolleagues, from the shores of the Black Sea and Dnieper River.
This is my first topic in this forum and let me introduce myself and to my boat.
Prior to August of last year I used Silverton 312 SC . Very nice boat and I always keep a good impression of her. However, in August of last year I bought in Belgium a beautiful Lagoon 43 power. I am the second owner of this boat. Many upgrades on it have already been made. However, I still have a lot of work and opportunities. It's an endless list on any boat.  I think that later on I will be able describe my modernization. Here, I would like to draw attention to two important specific design features of the hull of this model. Not very many catamarans up to 50 feet (average price class) have a single flat swimming platform from port to starboard and so HUGE master cabin. Usually master cabin occupied the space in one hull. In Lagoon it placed, as you know, between the hulls on aft deck. (Owners version).
I was also very pleasantly surprised by the maneuverability of the boat on the wave. The Black Sea, mostly not calm. The waves are high but short. Very often the waves are formed in different directions. Under such condition this boat is very well controlled and predictable.
Here I can point out until only one serious drawback of construction of this boat. The exhaust pipe at the point of connection with the hull. On my boat it was a plastic pipe, glued-in perpendicular to the hull of the boat. Followings this tube inside of the hull is connected with the corrugated rubber hose witch connected to a muffler. With time, due to vibration of heavy corrugated hose cracks in the place where the pipe is connected to the hull and the hull starts to leak. We changed it easy to obtain a fitting from stainless steel with a large area of bearing on the hull.
Otherwise I am very happy with this boat and would be happy to discuss about this model with colleagues.
Vahana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 04:16   #14

Boat: Lagoon 43 Power

If interested - here is my beauty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vahana.jpg
Views:	1035
Size:	407.6 KB
ID:	64449  
Vahana is offline   Reply With Quote