Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2022, 09:06   #1

Boat: Formula 34PC
ISO Good Marina on Western Chesapeake

Hello all! What marina do you love to call home on the Western Chesapeake? I'm mostly interested in the area between Annapolis and Chesapeake Beach.

I just bought a 2004 Formula 34 Performance Cruiser (LOA 36', Beam 12" Draft 3') and I'm open to both large marinas with a robust community and services, and also a quiet place with natural beauty.

I'm new to this group so apologies if this topic has been addressed. Thanks for your thoughts!
KennyReff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 09:10   #2

Re: ISO Good Marina on Western Chesapeake

Good Luck. Many locations currently have wait lists to get in. I'd focus on just getting a slip at this point. Start calling around now rather than 'shopping' for your dream marina.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 09:26   #3

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

North to south on the western shore:

In Annapolis, there are tons of marinas. On back Creek, you have Safe harbor marina, and right next door behind North Sails, is Butler's Marina. Again no frills, but they have slips, and.....you'd be right at North Sails ( I had them make my new main and jib last year). Great service, and if you need I will give you the cell phone and contact information for the north sales rep that helped me tremendously.

On the West River, a
quiet place with natural beauty would be Pirates cove, Galesville MD. Also in Galesville is Hartge Marina. That is a full service marina/boatyard. We love going to pirates cove. It's old, but quaint.

For fun and party marina with tons of boats is Herrington harbour South. Herrington harbour is just south of Chesapeake beach, but might be worthwhile for you. We enjoy sailing and staying there. Also, they have hotel/inn rooms so you can have friends down to the boat and they can stay off the boat. There is also a Herrington harbour North but I haven't been there always preferring HH south.

Congratulations on your new boat!!

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 09:30   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Hi, KennyReff, to the forum!
My marina is on the other side of the Bay Bridge, in the Chester River, so I won't be of much help to you. I'm glad Ben was able to give you some options to consider.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 10:18   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Annapolis: Back Creek is usually less expensive, but then not as easy walking access to "downtown.". Annapolis Landing, Port Annapolis, Beret Jabins, Eastport, etc.

South River: Liberty, Londontown, Pocahantat, and then the several in Selby Bay (Anchor, Holiday, etc.). Closest to Bay means short trips to get out, furthest upriver means better protection and might favorably impact your drive time.

Rhode River: Rhode River, Cadle Creek, Holiday Hill, Casa Rio.

Galesville, already mentioned: Pirates Cove and Hartge Yacht Harbor. Maybe sub-lease at West River Yacht Harbor (condo marina).

Deale: Herrington Harbor North, Skipjack. HHN is very nice, large grounds, onsite services including a restaurant.

Rose Haven: Herrington Harbor South.

Chesapeake Beach: Dunno if Ron 'n' Reel still offers dockage or not.

You might browse Waterway Guide and/or ActiveCaptain for info about facilities, AC reviews, drive time, etc.

Herrington North would be our favorite in that area. Depending on your starting location, HHN may also be about as convenient as many, maybe more so than most.

-Chris
Old 04-01-2022, 11:10   #6

Paradise Marina on Rockhold Creek may have slips. Very simple marina, but prices half of HHN and Shipwright. Bathhouse, parking, dockside water and electric, jet ski and boat lifts, fish sink.

If you want a resort and social life this is not for you.

Natural beauty? There’s grass and a big tree…
AWT2_Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 12:50   #7

Boat: Hylas 49

Just north of Annapolis is Whitehall Bay. Several marinas with varying degrees of amenities.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 19:23   #8

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

If price is a consideration, you won't find a better deal than Olverson's Lodge Creek Marina - https://olversonsmarina.com/. We had MOJO there for several years and loved it. Covered or open slips. An older place and definitely off the beaten track but a great bunch of people. It's about 15 mi or so up the Potomac on the south (Virginia) side. Nice pool, loaner cars and golf carts, active "yacht club" as well with monthly events if you want to participate.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 03:48   #9

Boat: Jeaneau, International 50

Harrington Harbour North or South. Either one is a great marina. They have won the Best of the Bay year after year. North is a full service yard with anything you could possibly need including West Marina on site. South is just slips, food and the Hotel. We stayed at HHN in the summer of 2015. It was really a great place. Very well maintained, all services, nice pool too.
SeeMonstrEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 06:02   #10

Boat: Moody 376

I'll second paradise in Deale Not as ritzy as HHN, but the difference in fees buys you a bunch of fuel....

John is nice to work with, very easy going. I keep my 37' moody there

draft 4.8 beam 12.5

there are several formula type power boats there on lifts...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1138.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	417.5 KB
ID:	250766   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1775.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	434.1 KB
ID:	250767  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1776.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	445.0 KB
ID:	250768  
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 08:56   #11

Boat: Formula 34PC

A huge shout-out to everyone who took the time to weigh. I'm new to this forum, but I clearly can see the community is pretty awesome!
KennyReff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 10:34   #12

Boat: O’Day 40

As far as I can tell in Annapolis, robust community and 'quiet' do not go together in this burg. As stated, Back Creek in Eastport is pleasant & easily walkable to downtown Annapolis. Seashell Marina, where we are is small, friendly & there are services across the creek (Don @301-370-3717). Davis Tavern is right across the street and has excellent pub food.

If you're looking for quiet (and beautiful) checkout Whitehall Marina (call John @410-757-4819)- you'll have to drive for entertainment but they do have good services there. Get out your checkbook otherwise.

Lou K
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 07:48   #13

Boat: Moody 376

Kenny,

if you end up gong this week/end. stop at slip d15 and let me know if my boat is still floating
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 16:58   #14

Haha @marcjsmith. I’ll stop by and make sure. Don’t you have a webcam on the masthead?
AWT2_Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 02:34   #15

Boat: Pacemaker 40’ Flush Deck Flying Bridge

North of Annapolis on Bodkin Creek is full service Pleasure Cove Marina. Restaurant and fuel on premises.

Two creeks further north is our current marina...Nabbs Creek Marina. Restaurant on premises. No Fuel here but gas engine mechanic. Floating piers and able help to carry things to & from boat.

Indeed I recommend these two marinas

The Crew of SIGMACHI
SIGMACHI is offline   Reply With Quote