Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2013, 09:21   #31

Re: Is this true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
I still say she should finance initially in case they do not make it through the winter, so she has the finances for a Plan B. I still give her a 50% change if being a year especially in the dead of winter. If its perceived she is putting her children in to much risk the chances are high marina, city or state may come knocking. One miss step/slip is all it takes. I know of marines that have given 30 day notice as they perceived the liability was to great, and a couple that city state stepped in. We been a live aboard for 16 years and seen hundred of wanta be live aboard come and go.

So before she even buys a boat she need to focus on the marina, slip and regulations. She also needs to be aware that live a board do not have the same rights as on the dirt. Marinas can/will give 30 day notice to vacate, so most live a boards have a Plan B. Our plan B is we bought a condo so we could have a land address and claim to be a non live aboard if need by. Also she should not buy a boat bigger than th slips most marinas have and what yards can handle. In the PNW I wold not buy a boat bigger than 60 ft, and 50 tons. So she needs the finances to have a Plan B.

Don't get me wrong I ma all for her buying a boat and being a live aboard as long as she understands what she is doing.
No need to worry about the marina Phil. I've already spoken to them. I'm all set in that regard. They take liveaboards and welcome and accommodate them through the winter I have met with dockmaster several times. Thanks for the concern.
Old 20-09-2013, 09:25   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Once again, Zee nails it.... I would be wary of a broker introducing issues that are better handled by a potential lender than one who may have an interest in consumating a sale, trusting individual that I am. Phil
This is slightly off track from my original question.

Capt Phil,

What's your general opinion of old Hats? I have heard that overall they are good, solid boats. Would you agree?
Old 20-09-2013, 09:30   #33

Thanks everyone for your responses. I had a hunch that the broker was trying to feed me garbage, but wanted to be sure.

Yes, I am considering Hats. For the short term. Planning on holding for 2-3 years and then getting my expedition style, long range, ocean crossing trawler

My stateroom requirement was bumping me out of what I want, so in a few years, I shouldn't need so much room.
Old 20-09-2013, 20:39   #34
Marine Service Provider

The market for old hats is so soft... I would not recommend buying one if the plan is to move to something else in 2-3 years...

If the plan is to do a 2-3 year cruise an offload.... That a differnwt story...

Just an FYI... This is a brokers perspective...
Old 20-09-2013, 22:27   #35

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

GG I said it before and I say it again. From all the chafe that has been flying about from your posts it is my opinion that you should get a land base near the water and a not too old 35 foot boat to take your brood out for weekends and progressively longer trips. This way you will have time to learn and decide what to do. What you are attempting now is diving head first into waters you know little about. There is only so much you can learn from this site and little of it is a good substitute for experience. If you were a lone wolf I would say take the dive and take your chances; however you are pulling a lot of baggage over the cliff with you. Yes that is your prerogative as a parent but how responsible is it? This is probably not what you want to hear but you are the one asking for advise. Back to your original question. The make of a boat is not always a good indicator of its condition. In 10-20 years the best made boats without proper care and upgrading can turn to poop.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 09:11   #36

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Hi GG... sending you a PM... Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 09:13   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
your broker is trying to make a sale. broker manipulating his deal so you will fall into it--he wants his commission and doesnt care a whit about the buyer or seller. good luck. keep eyes open and dont fall for bs.
Yep, run Forrest, run. I'd find another broker as that one wouldn't have much credibility left with me.
Old 06-10-2013, 15:29   #38

Boat: Carver 570

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Hi GG... sending you a PM... Phil
Capt Phil...

I'd love to hear your opinion of older Hatteras yachts as well. I was considering an older Hat as my next vessel (52-60ft, 1978-1993).

Mark Twain ... "Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
msdj69 is offline   Reply With Quote