Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 18:20   #1

Boat: Viking 44
ICW-Georgia

Anyone gone through Georgia on the ICW. If so how is it are there many problem areas and would you suggest going outside if the weather is right?
edbulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 18:42   #2

Re: ICW-Georgia

Its been years but I remember it as a lovely trip. Did some sailing along the ICW in Georgia also....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 18:46   #3

Just been from Savannah to Jacksonville. Wonderful trip, we draw 5 feet and had very few problems. Very remote in places so make sure you have provisions and fuel
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 20:00   #4

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
We r going thru ga now. Currently at Isle of Hope. Leaving tomorrow. Only problem so far had Bergen little mud river. Entering from the south heading north, stay toward the range marks.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 20:09   #5
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Georgia can get real shallow at low tide. I draw 3'8" and ended up stuck in some 3' deep water in the middle of channel. 8' tide some places i beleive, so for every person that says they went fine with 6' draft, they were inth right places at the right times. Georgia has done less dredging than any other state, and the ICW gets little maintence. Get the 2012 skipper bob and it will give you good info on when its shallow and you really need high tide. In december at low tide in some area i was in 3' but the tide came in and I was good. If I had 6' keel and I was 2 hours early it might have been bad.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 20:11   #6
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

skipper bob free anchorage book is well worth the $17
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:25   #7

Boat: Cal 39, Karma

I have travelled the GA section 4 times in the past two years and have 6'8" draft. There are a couple spots that I had to wait for high tide in order to transit. Also ran aground a couple times but was always able to get off. It can be done if careful and play the tides. Good luck.
jimking100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:41   #8

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

Although there are those who love the marsh grass and the many switchbacks going up or down the Ga ICW, I would try to sail outside if possible. It is an easy overnight run from St Mary's inlet to Port Royal Sound on the north side of Hilton Head which is an all wheather inlet. Or continue on to Charlestown outside.
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:50   #9

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

That section of the ICW is one of the most beautiful on the entire east coast! Not to be missed!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:58   #10

We just returned to Charleston from a up-and-down trip of the ICW thru GA and FL.

Most advice posted here is pretty accurate. Large tidal swings here so be aware of tides and specific areas. Currents can run pretty swift in specific areas. If an opportunity to run outside presents itself, I'd go for it. Outside runs are not long distances but one has to be sure to pick the right inlets and tide times. On the other hand inside run is also possible, just be aware of potential trouble spots. Ones that come to mind:

1. Hell Gate just south of Isle of Hope.

2. Mud River.

3. Buttermilk Creek.

We draw 4'6" and traversed twice in the last 4 months (southbound in January and northbound March 2012).

I'd suggest reviewing comments on Active Captain as a very good source of current conditions.

It's not exactly a cakewalk but certainly not un-doable either. Just pay attention.!!!
fmja10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 13:03   #11

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

from our recent ICW trip,
MUD RIVER
We transited most of the problem areas on the ICW at or near low tide so we are sure we had an accurate depth readings. We transited the Little Mud at 2 hours before low tide and on a falling tide. Based on this the following, depths would be at low tide. At Red “192″ depth of 5 feet. At Crooked Creek, depth of 4 1/2 feet. Approaching Green “193″ 4 feet, then 3 feet very near “193″. Just past Green “193″ 3 1/2 feet. At Red “194″ 3 1/2 feet and just past Red “194″ 3 feet. From Red “194″ to the turn onto the Altamaha is all about 4 feet. Fortunately there were no other fools except us transiting at this low of a tide. We hope this will help others STAY AWAY at anything less than 2 to 3 extra feet of tides.
CUMBERLAND DIVIDING
This is another example of how easy it is to get into trouble following a plotter and not paying close attention to where you are. At the section of the ICW known as Cumberland Dividings at Statute Mile 704, just near where the southern end of the Brickhill River meets the ICW behind Cumberland Island, following the magenta line on the plotter will put you hard aground. BUT, if you follow the channel markers, you will be fine. The channel is very shallow on the red side, especially between red markers 60 and 62. Stay waayyy over on the east side and when your plotter shows you going over land, I believe it shows a small island that is not there, you are actually in the deeper water. Electronics are wonderful, but don’t take the place of observing proper markers and using good common sense. Following electronics blindly can result in inconveniences at least, and expensive repairs at the worst. Some Skippers have found this to be a very expensive mistake, so keep alert and follow the marked channel. Dredging has been ongoing along parts of this stretch.

Watch for construction around the new Skidaway Narrows Bridge, mile 592.8, the old bridge is being removed.

Hope this helps. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 20:12   #12

To reinforce Chuck's post, follow the markers and you'll do fine.
fmja10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 12:47   #13

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Listen to waterwayguy. Little Mud and Cumberland Dividings can get you in trouble. Heed your depth sounder or you could end up on dry land, even when the chart says there is water. Brickhill River is a beautiful place to anchor and meander around. The sounds can also be really rough in unsettled weather.

Tags
georgia, icw