Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 20:14   #16

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman_Tx View Post
WTG Mule !! I just KNOW your gonna keep her down here, right? Close by so we can go fishin', right? I can pop fer some gas and grub..

Like David said...you better get to work! You know mama's gonna want that thing ready on time...

Seiously, though, where on the coast d'ya have in mind to go? Let me know if i can help...
Right now it is in Tarpon Springs, and will be there until the wandeing starts in June. My wife retires in May, I saw no purpose in burning fuel back to Texas then going back to Fl in the summer. As it stands now I hope for us to go throught the Keys in early summer, go up the coast looking for cool then do the islands in the fall, winter of next year and avoid all Hurricanes. After that it is Corpus area. Might bivoac in Seabrook for awhile but we will end up in Corpus. Longer drive from Fort Worth but no Houston to fight.

Fishing sounds good...
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 12:24   #17

Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad
my 1st trawler was a 1978 mainship 34---loved it, but had to learn a few things: since i'd always had gas boats previously, what did i know about throttling??? nothing/nada/zip, so it was power down/full throttle. wow, the smoke was sure ugly, but we didn't have mosquitos around the boat. i was always nervous about taking the boat out thinking the e.p. a. would jump all over me. near the end of the season a buddy told me what to do---power down to 3/4 full throttle....voila, no more smoke , 9-10 knots (w/ perkins turbo 165 h.p.) and 2 gal/hr. the mainship is a semi-displacement hull boat and not meant to plane ( squirrelly...i'd say downright dangerous). have fun. i know yer gonna love it....
defever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 15:24   #18

Boat: Olson 40
I did something similar when I chartered a Nordic Tug 32 in Alaska two years ago: started out full throttle (or nearly so) burning nearly a gallon a mile at 14 knots. As the days went by, we went slower and slower. Eventually, we were cruising at about 8 knots, nearly 2 nmpg.

At that speed, its so much more peaceful, and its a good speed to watch the world go by.

I think that is why people tend to get slower and slower boats as they cruise longer and longer.
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote