Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 12:41   #16
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
I had a 1966 wood 36' Pacemaker with twin 275hp Chrysler 360s. It would do about 16-17kt top. At about 10kt it burned 15gph. This was with low hour engines in excellent condition.

For fuel, it had 2-100s and 2 25s. I figured on a usable range of 100 miles.

To guess at the size of your tanks, think in terms of 55 gal tanks. I bet yours are about 100 each. Maybe a little bigger, but I'd be very surprised if they are bigger than 150 each.

With the engines you have, and my guessitmate of fuel capacity, if you stay under 8 kts, you might eek out a 100 mile usable range.

FYI: My interpretation of the rule of thirds for estimating range is 2/3 for the route and 1/3 for safety reserve (not 1/3 to play with). But then, I always plan on the conservative side.

There are a lot of variables. What you gotta do is get all the figures you can nail down (especially fuel capacity), and then estimate and do your first trip based on the most pessimistic figures you come up with. Based on my guesses above, I'd limit my first trip to about 75 miles and see how much fuel I used.

When you do your first test run, carefully note your speed. There will be a drastic decline in efficiency when you start getting above about 8kts. If you do your first test at 8 kts and decide you have a 125 mile range, so you plan on 125 miles for your second trip, but do it at 12kts, you'll be in for an unpleasant surprise.

Also remember, if you only have a 100 mile usable range, planning guides are a must for long trips. Pre-select fuel stops along the way. I made sure I had one scoped out about every 50 miles. Then, I called each one the day before to make sure they were open and had fuel. Good thing, too. One that was located in a critical part of my route said they had sever shoaling and I could only get to the fuel dock at high tide. I stopped at one 40 miles earlier even though I had plenty of fuel, so I could bypass it.

Once I planned on a 110 mile leg down the Chesapeake, had seas quartering off the bow with a strong head wind. En-route I changed plans and chose a marina about 5-10 miles closer. Even then I had less than 25gals of fuel left when I got to the fuel dock. Enough fuel for only 15 miles is way too close.

Basically, I'm just saying that in a short range boat, planning is even more critical.

Remember, what I've said above is based on a lot of assumptions and guesses. No warranty expressed or implied.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 13:00   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40
This was 12 yrs ago, fuel was $1.50, so it cost me on the order of $500 to fill tanks. The loudest sound on the boat was "sluuuuuurp" if you cranked engines to 3400rpm. She was a big comfortable boat inside though, not at all like my current 40' motor sailer. She went to wood boat heaven after several years with me, ice damaged the hull, sank at my dock. Nothing quite like coming out of house, not seeing boat, going to dock and seeing oil sheen and top of fly bridge sticking out of ice.
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 17:19   #18

Boat: 1962 Hunter Sedan 38'
wow chris07732 that is alot of fuel!! well apparently this boat can plane out so shouldn't be as bad especially with the v6's. fingers crossed. That sucks about sinking your boat, it usually doesn't freeze over here so fingers crossed again!
Old 04-12-2010, 17:38   #19

Boat: 1962 Hunter Sedan 38'
Thanks for all the great info dacust!! Yeah I dont plan on doing to many long haul trips, just one, from vancouver to victoria.

Tags
fuel, fuel tank