Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2020, 10:45   #1

Honda 25hp Outboard wont stay running after carb rebuild

I replaced the jets in the three carbs for a honda 25hp (bf25D). It ran ok before I started working on it but the guy I bought it from said it lost power and probably had trash in a jet so I cranked it and it seems to run ok at idle, maybe a little miss, so I then replaced the jets. When i put it back together, I pump the bulb and see a little gas come out around the butterfly valves of all three carbs (intake filter off). It cranks eventually with those vapors from the gas but just revs up and shuts off. There is an electrical connector going to some kind of actuator to the top carb. Not sure if it's working as supposed to but took it off and put my finger over the hole to make sure it was letting gas thru, but no difference. Any ideas?
donwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 21:05   #2

Boat: Endeavour 30 catamaran
Re: Honda 25hp Outboard wont stay running after carb rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by donwillis View Post
I replaced the jets in the three carbs for a honda 25hp (bf25D). It ran ok before I started working on it but the guy I bought it from said it lost power and probably had trash in a jet so I cranked it and it seems to run ok at idle, maybe a little miss, so I then replaced the jets. When i put it back together, I pump the bulb and see a little gas come out around the butterfly valves of all three carbs (intake filter off). It cranks eventually with those vapors from the gas but just revs up and shuts off. There is an electrical connector going to some kind of actuator to the top carb. Not sure if it's working as supposed to but took it off and put my finger over the hole to make sure it was letting gas thru, but no difference. Any ideas?

May sound stupid but check the spark plugs. Have a 40 and one fouled plug looks like a fuel problem.
landlockedgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:19   #3

Re: Honda 25hp Outboard wont stay running after carb rebuild

Thanks for the suggestion.

I think it was two issues.* noelm helped with the first, which was just cleaning everything instead of just the jets.* Had a couple of guys help me figure out the venting issues on another site.
BF25D 25hp outboard wont stay running after replacing carburetor jets

"I thought about what jgmo said about a clogged vent can make it flood and Alan saying plumbing issues can make it seem flooded and realized that by connecting the two "f8" hose terminations together I was effectively flooding it. I disconnected the two and it runs like a top now (after a day of work!). I think all the orifices needed cleaning as well but those were the two issues."
donwillis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda, outboard, rebuild