Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2018, 07:36   #1

Help with decisions

Hi everyone,
I am totally new and have been window shopping for boats for several months now and I'm not sure what to do. I am looking at power boats and will eventually live on it. I don't want to go smaller than 44 ft. but also want to be able to go from Galveston TX to the western Caribbean (raotan, belize). So, I guess my questions would be is it possible to make that trip in a powered 44ish length boat? I have looked at so many (used) boats and like many others are planning to do this on a budget. I am looking to purchase a boat by this time next year and then make it my home about 4 years from now. Haven't got the wife totally on board with this idea but it's a work in progress. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to compute boat cost, marina, cost, insurance cost and get a rough idea what my monthly financial burden will be. but boat selection I think is my first step.
supertom1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 09:17   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Help with decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertom1969 View Post
So, I guess my questions would be is it possible to make that trip in a powered 44ish length boat?

Yes, but "it depends" is likely also relevant. All 44' boats are not the same. Even two of the same model of 44' boat might not be the same, one stabilized, one not so much.

Weather changes, as do sea states.... but you also can sometimes pick more comfortable weather windows.

In general, "trawlers" have better tankage and fuel economy... at slower speeds... but some "trawlers" are really coastal cruisers while some others might well be serious ocean-going boats. OTOH, there are a number of motor yachts and other power boat formats that can make that kind of trip, given the right circumstances.

You might enjoy trawlerforum.com (sister site) given there are more power boaters there (and not all "trawlers").

Wifey's buy-in will be critical, as will a joint agreement on what's the right boat for you... two.

-Chris
Old 14-08-2018, 11:54   #3

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

If money is an issue, realize your fuel bill for the long trip you are describing will be high. I suggest you calculate it out with a few of the boats you are looking at. You might decide the fuel bill is too high and thus change the requirements for your desired boat.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 14:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
If money is an issue, realize your fuel bill for the long trip you are describing will be high. I suggest you calculate it out with a few of the boats you are looking at. You might decide the fuel bill is too high and thus change the requirements for your desired boat.
Money will be somewhat of an issue simply because resources need to last as long as possible. My intent would be to stay in the Caribbean for several months before returning. So, my biggest concern is what size boat would be required to make the trip (700+miles) and still have fuel in the tank. Then refuel in that part of the world before returning if that makes any sense. Maybe a one time trip per year. The motor yachts I have been looking at are around 44-46 ft with fuel capacities of 400 to 600 gallons 600 to 850 total horsepower.
Old 15-08-2018, 04:16   #5

Quote:
Money will be somewhat of an issue simply because resources need to last as long as possible. My intent would be to stay in the Caribbean for several months before returning. So, my biggest concern is what size boat would be required to make the trip (700+miles) and still have fuel in the tank. Then refuel in that part of the world before returning if that makes any sense. Maybe a one time trip per year. The motor yachts I have been looking at are around 44-46 ft with fuel capacities of 400 to 600 gallons 600 to 850 total horsepower.
Some more "it depends." Tankage is important, of course, and often tankage gets larger as boats get larger...

But then there's burn rate to consider. Typical trawlers go slow, have smaller engines, and burn less fuel per hour, you get more NMPG.

Typical motor yachts tend to be designed to go faster, even if only slightly... therefore have larger engines, burn more fuel per hour.. but then you go faster so some testing is usually required to calculate NMPG.

AND... if you go slow (trawler speeds) in a typical motor yacht or other type with bigger engines, you burn less fuel per hour, sometimes not much more than a trawler with smaller engines...

There's also some stuff about hull form. Full displacement trawlers usually go slow more efficiently than planing or semi-displacement/semi-planing boats do.

IOW, it depends... and it's not all completely tied up in the size (length) of the boat.

While you're at it, be aware that all 44' boats (for example) aren't the same. Some could have 2x or 3x the interior volume of others the same length. For example, a 42 motor yacht -- same nominal length as our boat -- could likely have 2x weather-protected (mostly interior) space compared to ours.

More reasons why I mentioned you might find useful info on the other forum.

-Chris
Old 15-08-2018, 04:29   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tom.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 04:47   #7

To elaborate on ranger42c's comments...

Take as an example, an older Hatteras 44 tri-cabin. These usually come with big engines and are capable of getting up into the 15-16 knots range in speed. If you push one of these boats to 16 knots, you are going to burn (very rough estimate, as there are many variables) something in the neighborhood of 40 gallons per hour. Meaning you are burning something over two gallons per nautical mile. If you slow down to nine knots your burn rate will go down to somewhere around 7 gallons per hour.

Yes, you read that right. Cut your speed in half (a little less than half, actually) and you cut your gas consumption to less than 1/4th of what it was. Obviously, at this point, instead of measuring gallons per mile you can start measuring miles per gallon.

The issue here is that these are "semi-planing" boats. What that means is that they sort-of get up on a plane, but not really all the way. It takes a very large amount of energy (and hence fuel) to push a big boat along like that. Back it down to hull speed and it takes FAR less fuel, and FAR less energy, to move the boat along.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 14:33   #8
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

I am in a 1973 53' Hatteras Motor Yacht.
twin diesels 600 HP
650 gallons fuel
plenty of room
solid hull
Sam's Marine still has drawings and other on my hull number. Spare parts are available
Rides well, smooth

Now the con...
28 gallons and hour at 11.5 knots...yep
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 14:57   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Help with decisions

I know you are not asking about a sailboat, but just as a comparison the typical 40’ sailboat at 6 to 7 kts will burn well less than 1gl an hour.
Trawlers are more similar to sailboats than those big motor yachts that your looking at.
Besides just cost a real significant issue is range.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 04:30   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post
I am in a 1973 53' Hatteras Motor Yacht.
twin diesels 600 HP

Now the con...
28 gallons and hour at 11.5 knots...yep

But maybe 4 GPH at 7 knots?

-Chris
Old 16-08-2018, 15:14   #11

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Haven't got the wife totally on board with this idea but it's a work in progress.

From my personal experience... Get your wife involved now or you are just spinning your propeller.

I'm trying to compute boat cost, marina, cost, insurance cost and get a rough idea what my financial burden will be.

Your biggest financial burden will be NOT getting your wife on board with this.

Boat selection I think is my first step.

Nope. Your first step is to... (see above) Get your wife on board.
Or... you will just be one of many thousands of guys who drug their half-hearted spouse out to sea but now the boat is just sitting in some lonely, far off marina or yard with a for sale sign on it because the spouse that got dragged to sea did a mutiny.

The dry storage yards here in paradise have 100's of these former "guy with a dream" boats for sale or just sitting and rotting because the wife said... "me, or the boat".

Get her involved now. Slow down and go at her speed. Believe me, you will have a much more harmonious outcome.
Old 16-08-2018, 15:40   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We’ve been living aboard in the Caribbean for two seasons. There are lot of live aboard trawlers less than 40 feet. 44is a lot of power Boat. Many around 30 to 35. Several of the smaller ones operate rocker stoppers all of the time. Range is certainly the issue along with where you will get fuel.

FYI, you can buy duty free fuel in several countries. Antigua for one. Trinidad has a yacht in transit duty free that places costs about $2.50/gal.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 11:00   #13

Quote:
Hi everyone,
I am totally new and have been window shopping for boats for several months now and I'm not sure what to do. I am looking at power boats and will eventually live on it. I don't want to go smaller than 44 ft. but also want to be able to go from Galveston TX to the western Caribbean (raotan, belize). So, I guess my questions would be is it possible to make that trip in a powered 44ish length boat? I have looked at so many (used) boats and like many others are planning to do this on a budget. I am looking to purchase a boat by this time next year and then make it my home about 4 years from now. Haven't got the wife totally on board with this idea but it's a work in progress. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to compute boat cost, marina, cost, insurance cost and get a rough idea what my monthly financial burden will be. but boat selection I think is my first step.
There are a lot of variables as others have mentioned. My wife and I have lived aboard (summers only) our 35' Cooper MY, and have learned a lot! Our boat has tone of room for only 35' (6' plus headroom everywhere, two private cabins, two heads, full galley with 4 burner propane stove and oven etc.), but a boat is still a boat. You really gotta get along in that small space (any boat will seem small compared to a house). Spend the time. Do your research. Involve your wife in every decision (happy wife, happy life!). And welcome to boating!
Stress Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 13:35   #14

Wheeeeew...So much information. I totally agree with "happy wife happy life" I know that she would jump with me but at the same time I want her to want to jump with me which I don't know that she will ever have the same enthusiasm that I have. I think for the time being I am going to make the purchase and we can have some weekends aboard and vacations. It will have to be something she experiences first. And if she isn't on board for a life of salt water it will be a weekend outing.

So, what are the best financing outlets? I am looking at an 18 yr old searay at the moment. I see there is a lot of experience here and am hoping someone can give me some advice on financing options, like who is the easiest to use.

Thank you all
Old 23-08-2018, 20:48   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Economy depends a lot on the engines make as well as the speed. I cruise an 83' boat at 10 knots burning 8.5 gallons an hour. At 7 knots somewhere about 3 - 4 gallons an hour. Detroit naturals.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote