Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 04:13   #1

Boat: Chaparral
Help with A/C Priming

my boat was recently trailered to another lake. i'm having a very difficult time in priming the a/c pump. ph, i'm in texas so it's warm enough now to run the a/c. the pump is running. i actually tested it by taking it out and hooking up a plug and plugged it in. the compressor on the a/c is working as well. i've been shooting the hose throught the thru hull. i done this several times before with success. for some reason, it's just not working. i was thinking of getting a smaller hose and putting it down the outtake and pour water in slowly. this way i know it's getting there.

i also did check the valve on the bottom of the boat to ensure that it is working along with cleaning out the strainer.

any suggestions would be very helpful. thanks!!
str8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:50   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Check the strainer.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 13:17   #3
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
is the pump below the waterline? if so you can disconnect the intake hose from the pump and let the water start flowing.
Old 11-03-2010, 13:56   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42
If you have already checked to ensure you raw water stainer is not obstructed and that insects ("mud dobbers" etc.) did not construct a nest in your raw water line--and that the thru hull is actually open--if it's accessable try the alternative of pulling a vacuum on your raw water discharge fitting with a portable shop vac. As we've had a little difficulty with this issue from time-to-time, we have a Y-Valve between the pump discharge and A/C unit that allows us to pull a vacuum on the line and draw water past the pump to get things moving.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 21:26   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
That is funny, Hylyte went exactly the opposite way of what I developed and I think for priming it will work equally well.

I have been trying out several systems and my latest one is just finished. From my seacock I have a hose to the strainer which is positioned on the waterline. The input and output connections are under the waterline but the lid is above (easy for cleaning). After that, I have a short hose to a PVC manifold under the waterline. I made that from schedule 40 PVC with a valve on every connections. I use the cheap PVC valves that you glue on the pipes with PVC cement, so no threads. The first connection is the strainer; 2nd A/C and 3rd a deck wash pump. The 4th one is the trick because it is plumbed to my pressurized fresh water system. This allows you to do many things, incl. priming the A/C circuit. I also use it for a fresh water deck wash, or to flush the deck wash or A/C circuits with fresh water when they are not going to be used for a while. I can also backflush the sea strainer and seacock.

I will give it a year to evaluate if this is indeed the best I come up with but after all I did before coming to this setup, I'm pretty sure it's perfect.

Please note that this manifold is in my forward sail locker which is separated from the rest of the boat with a water tight bulkhead. If that wouldn't be the case, I would use marine rated valves instead of the PVC valves.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 20:39   #6

Boat: Chaparral
Solved

well. it's always the obvious. i took a flexible hose and shoved it in both ends and dirt started to comes through. muddawbers!!! did that a few times and shook the line from behind my A/C and woosh---thar she blows!! appreciate all the input. i'm singing dixie now!!
str8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 21:28   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
With Mud daubers....blow...don't suck
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote