Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2022, 17:23   #31

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Re: Help - outboard powered pocket cruisers

Not scientific but the Regal 26 XO with a 300HP Yamaha Outboard with get 2 mph at optimum cruise speed of 25 mph.

The same boat configured with a Volvo Penta 300HP I/O at 25 mph will get just 1.25 mpg.

These numbers come from Boattest kinda. Boattest did their own testing on the outboard but took Regals numbers on the I/O.

Both boats running at 4,000RPM.

Humm - I will prefer to run at 3,500 - 3,800 RPM as a rule.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 10:28   #32

Boat: Seaward 22

Have a Seaward22 since 1986. Have a long shaft Nissan 6 which gets it close to hull speed. Typically only use the motor it to put the boat back on the trailer or tight docking. Have sailed it from Erie to little river inlet SC over the years. Did catch a trash bag on the prop while doing the ICW years ago which is the only time I ever ran out of fuel. Boat has a head, small sink and two burner stove. On that trip the draw bridge operator decided not to open for me so I anchored, had breakfast, and dropped the mast. Once that was accomplished the bridge opened for a small fishing boat so I proceeded, giving the appropriate hand jesters to operator on the other side, where I anchored and re-stepped the mast ( blowing twenty on the nose). So ease of dropping the stick is a prime consideration if you truly want a functional pocket cruiser. Launching is another consideration as most ramps are made for powerboats
(short and shallow). I have had the trailer fall off the end of a ramp once (made launching easy) and my boat only draws 2 feet with CB up. Have some YouTube videos of coastal trips believe the links are on my profile (Beaufort NC and Oriental NC). Shallow draft is nice for the areas I sail in as well as launching and retrieving (the hard part). Do trade off on headroom for that feature but that design planes well in +26 knot winds and surfs well on waves. Some areas may have width restrictions (eastern shore of MD) used to, where you would need a wide load permit on a beamy craft.
Seaward22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 14:10   #33

Boat: 8.5m Fast Sailing Cat, 7.5m McLay Aluminium HT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I have not followed outboard powered boats for the last 10 years. So my question is what pocket cruisers now have outboard power. What boats compete with a Regal 26 XO? What is a good power for this type of boat. Is a 300HP outboard enough?

I only want to deal with one outboard and the boat would be used on inland lakes and maybe the ICW.
I have a Locally (NZ)built aluminium boat. It is a McLay 720 Cruiser which is really more a hard top fishing boat for the boys than a cruiser it is 7.2m (24') water line 8.6m oa so in the ball park of what you are talking about. These boats come in different configurations including galleys and heads so comparable, mine is lighter but a 200hp outboard is all she has ever had. (Yamaha V6 SW2 2 cycle, Honda V6 4 cycle, now a Suzuki straight 4 cylinder 4 cycle. The Suzuki is the most economical motor so far.

200hp is plenty of hp for this boat. She will do 37 knots at approx 1l/km or 1.8l/nm but in the rev range of 3800 to 4500rpm she will do better than 2l/km or 1l/nm which means she has a range of over 400km 200nm at 17 to 24 knots from a 210l tank. Below hull speed she will do double or even triple that... My motor has a reasonably accurate fuel computer so both efficiency and range can be easily calculated on the fly and range anxiety is a thing of the past.

This is a blue water boat used for crossing cook strait regularly (a wild place) so I imagine the great lakes and ICW would be tame in comparison.
mdenize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 21:19   #34

I watch Brodie Moss on YouTube - that is the boat he has. I wish they sold those boats in the U.S. but I have never seen them.

Oh, I mentioned Inland Lakes. Lakes like Table Rock or Lake Cumberland. Not a fan of the Great Lakes. They are worse than the ocean.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 04-02-2022, 23:05   #35

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Back Cove offers some of their small cruisers in outboards. Ranger also.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 08:07   #36

Back Cove boats are too big. The smallest one I found was 32' and was too big to tow. Ranger Tugs on the other hand only make 8.5' wide towable boats. And not only do Ranger Tugs make smaller boats they make all sizes from 21' to 29' feet are the ones the size I want.

Old 07-02-2022, 14:15   #37

I am now looking at the Regal 2250 Cuddy Cabin boats on-line. They are not outboard powered. At least the ones I have looked at. With a camper top these would make a good boat to stay on for a few days. Plus I could tow it with a 1/2 ton truck.

The Regal 26XO and 27 Ranger Tug Boats I think the my 3/4 ton truck would be better.

Tags
cruise, cruiser, outboard, pocket cruiser