Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2016, 18:18   #16

Boat: islandpacket
Re: Great Loop

There may not be a speed limit but you meet quiet a few boats and barges and you do have to watch your wake. You dont want to swamp a bass boat.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 30-01-2016, 20:16   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
There may not be a speed limit but you meet quiet a few boats and barges and you do have to watch your wake. You dont want to swamp a bass boat.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
You have to watch your wake no matter where you cruise. For the vast majority of the route, it's not a problem exceeding no wake speeds.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 09:51   #18
GBB

I went to the Baltimore boat show and checked out the Ranger Tugs. My wife and I were very impressed. I think they are going to be hard to beat. Bow and stern thrusters. Shallow draft. Sleeps 6. What others would you suggest I take a look at?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
GBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 12:30   #19

Sounds great. Other than finding one that fits your comfort level, I would figure what kind of speed you need. You can get as low as one gallon per hour to 10 or more depends on speed. I've followed much faster boats for days. They get to the next port faster, but I leave early or comtinue late and meet at the same place. I enjoy the trip and really like a slow pace. I dont screw up as much. Have you checked out the AGLCA for recommendations?
Old 15-04-2016, 12:32   #20
GBB

Not yet but I will. We really like the new 29ft ranger. I'm not sold on why the extra 2 ft on the 31 is so much more money. What do you have?

Old 15-04-2016, 13:17   #21

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBB View Post
I went to the Baltimore boat show and checked out the Ranger Tugs. My wife and I were very impressed. I think they are going to be hard to beat. Bow and stern thrusters. Shallow draft. Sleeps 6. What others would you suggest I take a look at?

I think my boat (Camano Troll 31) would make a good loop boat but mine is not for sale. You will find a few for sale at any given time though.

You would want to carry additional fuel for the parts where you need the additional range. The Camano only carries 90 gallons or so in the built in tanks. Other than range, it has everything needed for a couple.

BTW: The "sleeps XX" that you see in ads is technically correct, XX people can find a place to lay down at night but a 31' Ranger Tug or my Camano will get very crowded very quickly with more than two adults on board.
Old 15-04-2016, 13:33   #22
GBB

I understand about the sleeping. 2 of the 6 would be on the convertible dinette. 99% of the time it will only be my wife and I. When I was at the boat show I told the gentleman with ranger my intentions for the boat. He said he knew of quite a few who were currently on the loop.

Old 15-04-2016, 14:13   #23

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
I understand about the sleeping. 2 of the 6 would be on the convertible dinette. 99% of the time it will only be my wife and I. When I was at the boat show I told the gentleman with ranger my intentions for the boat. He said he knew of quite a few who were currently on the loop.

Six people trying to get past each other to use the head wouldn't work well. six people showering with a limited water supply wouldn't work well either. It's often said; cocktails for six, dinner for four and cruising for two. We sometimes have dinner for six on our boat but that's at a marina. They all go back to their boats after dinner.
Old 15-04-2016, 17:07   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Doing it at 25 knots is going to be VERY expensive and largely useless, since you'll be waiting at the next lock. Be sure you are adequately seaworthy for the Carrabelle Fl (our home) to Tarpon Springs or Clearwater off shore. There is no ditch between those points. In addition, unless you take the Okeechobee Watewrway across Florida (Ft. Myers to Stuart) you have another off shore run to get around the south end of the state. We love loopers - they visit and drink beer with us while they wait for a weather window, and then learn just how bad a NOAA forecast can be.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 04:59   #25

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Ranger tugs are nice, and would be a very capable platform to do the loop.

I don't see a problem with occasional overnight guests. We had 5 people on my 28' express cruiser for a week. One head without separate shower, 2-burner alcohol stove, 6 gallon water heater and 35 gallon water tank. And we anchored out or tied up with no shoreside services quite a bit. But marinas make it easier.

For the price of a Ranger Tug, there are other options. If you're the outdoors type and like living in the cockpit, focus on that area. If you tend to stay inside a lot, consider something with multiple "indoor" options, not just one big saloon. A comfortable place to sit and relax is critical. To some, a work desk is essential. Some couples need their own space, some like to always be together.

In other words, think about how you're going do live, day-to-day, and pick a boat that matches your lifestyle.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 05:11   #26

Boat: Endeavour TrawlerCat 44

Perhaps a Krogen Manatee?
jacks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 05:20   #27

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

I would totally forget the "sleeps 6" feature of a vessel that size. The sleeping plan makes zero allowance for the gear that people have.

I suspect the correct answer is that it sleeps 2 persons with most of their gear, with room for the occasional overnight/short stay of 2 others... but 6?.. that would be the point that I would get off my own boat.

fwiw I have 38ft Sabre 38 with 12ft beam that "sleeps 7" .. it actually sleeps 2, dinner for 4 and drinks for 6. With great effort the aft stateroom is cleared of gear to allow an over night guest... but zombies in the salon are avoided at all cost..

Quote:

Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 06:15   #28

Boat: St Francis 50

You may want to consider a PDQ 34 or 41 power cat - comfy, economical, stable and with good resale value when you finish.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 17:19   #29
GBB

I really like the Tug designs but i am not sold on anything yet. still in the research stage. This great loop adventure has been on our bucket list for some time now. there is no doubt in my mind that we are going. like i have said before i liked the ranger tugs i saw at the boat show, but i know enough about boats to know not to fall in love with one too quickly. also, can anyone give me some suggestions on what to look for in the tug or trawler type that i could turn east in florida and go to the islands if i wanted to.
thanks
Old 17-04-2016, 17:47   #30

The American great loop cruiser association "AGLCA" has several gatherings a year. Classes on how to what boat and what to expect. I've been to several and highly recommend them. Had a great time and learned alot. My wife really got pumped up to do this after meeting the many other girls. Great time. A great looper sorce.