Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2019, 11:28   #16
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Going down the Yukon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTP View Post
It just looked like a neat adventure, retracing some of the routes that early travelers used. We go hiking and stuff also, which is far harder and arduous than taking a car lol.
If you really want to do this start in Skagway or even do the inside passage from Seattle to Skagway (ferry or your own boat) hike the Chilkoot Trail https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/yt/c...iking-randonee to Carcross or take the train https://wpyr.com:// (used to be able to get one way tickets). Rent a canoe in Whitehorse and paddle to Dawson. You can do this fast in 3 weeks or spend 4 months and still not enough time. Not a ton of long hikes on the river but some old cabins, wood lots, homesteads etc. The 30 mile river (Section of the Yukon River) is spectacular with crystal clear water before the muddier Teslin meets up at Hootalinqua. Fort Selkirk is the next big historical stop where the Pelly River meets the Yukon. Once the White River meets up with the Yukon the trip becomes somewhat boring. The river gets massive, brown with no real excitement, just sand bar after sandbar as it gets bigger and browner with more and more channels. Mike’s book !(see link) is an excellent river trip book with all historical stops, camps trails etc https://www.yukonbooks.com/shop/cust...productid=2818
Once you do that you can decide if you want to complete the Teslin River as well.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:35   #17
rbk

You could take the river from the south end of Bennett Lake or Carcross as I’m fairly certain both the major rental companies will meet you with your boat at either location. Also if you’re in a hurry they will shuttle you and your boat to the north end of Labarge. Canoe People and Up North are the two main rental companies.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:29   #18

I considered doing this trip a few years ago, a friend had worked on commercial barges working on the river.
He said lots of current, buoys sometimes dragged underwater, etc., but all doable given time and reading the river. Igt would be a great trip.

I was considering a Phil Bolger design, one of his box boats.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:26   #19

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Did the trip from Whitehorse to Dawson city in an aluminum canoe back in the mid 70's. Myself, the owner of the canoe and his dog. All kinds of kooks and adventurers on the river in row boats to groups on rafts prospecting for gold. The most dangerous spot was Five Finger rapids, which we ran, and somehow made it. Lake Labarge, if I recall correctly, we transited at night when the winds were subdued. It was around end of June so the darkest it ever got was twilight. Fantastic adventure for me as an eighteen year old.

If you do the trip, be sure to get yourself a wide brim hat and mosquito net headgear. Ashore, the mosquitos can drive you insane, literally.
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:50   #20

Boat: Sea Sport Voyager 30'

A guy took his 34' catamaran (twin outboards) down the MacKenzie River this past summer. He trailered it almost 1200 miles to Hay River in NW Territories, then launched in the MacK for the run to the Arctic Ocean. Pretty epic trip. I know, its a different beast than doing the Yukon R but thought this crowd might enjoy reading about another boat ride in the far north.

https://aspenpowercatamarans.com/arctic-adventure/
GWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:02   #21

Let me know if you want company.
lvictorlucas@yahoo.com
lvictorlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:23   #22

Boat: Bayliner, 4588, 45'

I did the Yukon River between Eagle and Circle Alaska. In a 14' inflatable with paddles.
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 16:56   #23

I travel up and down the Yukon river every year. Best boat I have used is my Pellycraft 24 with one 50 HP Honda and two 4 HP Yamahas. You could buy the Pelly at Listers in Whitehorse - it was designed by a native of Pelly Crossing. You can easily make it down to the Bering Sea....if you have enough time. The Yukon is an easy river with a few delicate spots. The first beging right at when the Yukon empties into Lake Laberge - go right otherwise your journey risks to end right there. Lake Laberge: do it like the natives: wait for good weather. This lake is dangerous. Your first introduction to river boating will be the 30 mile River. Beautiful part of the river with plenty of shipwrecks from the Gold Rush Time. You will understand why very quickly. Easy with a Pelly. The next is Five Finger Rapids - go right again. With a little bit of practice you will negotiate the rest of the river which does have a bundle of surprises like very shallow rock and sandbars right in where you think the deep channel is. When the wind kicks up. Just keep in mind that natives pull ashore and have tea till the wind abates. A three foot chop on a river is a challenge. The Yukon is a great river - enjoy.
lazydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 17:01   #24

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

The Yukon river is heavily traversed in canoes. And, you will discover that the majority language on the Yukon will be German. And, don't be surprised when you round a bend that people will be standing around bathing naked, again probably German.

In the summer months, there is a daily flight from Germany to Whitehorse. And when you go to the big bookstore in downtown Whitehorse, about a 1/4 of the store is books in German.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 18:31   #25
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazydove View Post
I travel up and down the Yukon river every year. Best boat I have used is my Pellycraft 24 with one 50 HP Honda and two 4 HP Yamahas. You could buy the Pelly at Listers in Whitehorse - it was designed by a native of Pelly Crossing. You can easily make it down to the Bering Sea....if you have enough time. The Yukon is an easy river with a few delicate spots. The first beging right at when the Yukon empties into Lake Laberge - go right otherwise your journey risks to end right there. Lake Laberge: do it like the natives: wait for good weather. This lake is dangerous. Your first introduction to river boating will be the 30 mile River. Beautiful part of the river with plenty of shipwrecks from the Gold Rush Time. You will understand why very quickly. Easy with a Pelly. The next is Five Finger Rapids - go right again. With a little bit of practice you will negotiate the rest of the river which does have a bundle of surprises like very shallow rock and sandbars right in where you think the deep channel is. When the wind kicks up. Just keep in mind that natives pull ashore and have tea till the wind abates. A three foot chop on a river is a challenge. The Yukon is a great river - enjoy.
They are a Harbercraft Pelly 2348. Just sold mine last year with an 80hp outboard jet and modified jet tunnel hull.
Old 05-11-2019, 19:12   #26

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

It's a great trip. Do it and have fun. You do not need a power boat, unless you just want one. A good canoe is a fine way to travel the Yukon. Simple, cheap and a good way to travel in the wilderness. The current is fast enough that you will cover a lot of miles each day without paddling. Fine country. I did it from Whitehorse to Dawson, excellent trip.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 19:26   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Going down the Yukon?

I will say that the mosquitos have to be experienced to be believed, and carry a defense fire arm, I carried a 12 ga shotgun, mix of slugs and 00 buck and a box of #6 shot for survival hunting if I needed it.

Used to be to fly in the NWT, Canada had a requirement of minimal essential items that you were required to carry, and mosquito protection was way up there, plus a min amount of calories of food for x number of days and a firearm used to be required.
Just forget a pistol. I don’t think any kind of pistol is considered acceptable in any circumstance, they will not let you carry one.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 20:42   #28

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

When I made my trip I was prepared for mosquito hell - repellent, netting, etc. I used NONE of it - mosquitos were virtually nonexistent. The reason was that I made my trip late in the year - got on the river about the 1st of September and finished mid October. That late in the year mosquitoes were a non-issue.

I've read since that the first mosquito hatch in the spring is terrible. The following hatch is reduced in size, the next smaller again. So I'd recommend making your trip late in the year.

Re A64's recommendation about having a firearm, I heartily second it. I saw fresh grizzly sign every day and spotted bears every 2-3 days. Never had a problem with them, but I would not make the trip without a long gun. Forget handguns against something that big. If you take a shotgun I'd recommend Brenneke slugs. They are hardened lead and penetrate deeply. Natives in Africa kill elephant with them. Do NOT use the Foster type slugs used to hunt deer. They only give shallow penetration. If taking a rifle have cartridges with heavy for caliber deep penetrating bullets. And know how to use what you bring.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 21:33   #29

My boat is a Pelly Harbourcraft. Ask Greg Campion of Listers Whitehorse. He was part of the design team and sells them. I would not use a jet engine because of the fuel consumption. The big advantage of this boat is that it is large enough for a long trip but light. In case you run seriously aground or get into really bad weather you can easily unload it and push it off or pull it part way out of the water. There are insects in the north - otherwise there would not be any fish or birds - but they are not as bad as further up north. Bears love the Yukon an will be along the shore when the salmon are running. Due to the heavy canoe traffic on the river many got habituated to humans. Pack hardware - eg a pumper with slugs and buckshot and plenty of bears-ray. Beware of the Canadian Firearm Laws. Have fun on this beautiful river
lazydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 13:23   #30

Boat: Fuji 35 ketch

A group of us floated down the river 15 yrs ago with canoes. We put in a t Carmacks as some in our group had only a week of vacation. We took out at Dawson. Then our son took a bus back to Carmacks to retrieve our car. We live in Juneau so drove from Juneau to Carmacks. It is a wonderful trip. We camped on shore or islands
JON REISWIG is offline   Reply With Quote