Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2017, 08:29   #1

Boat: Robalo R245
Unhappy Garmin Chartplotters

Does anyone know if it's possible to download any other charts to a Garmin GPSMAP series chartplotter besides the bluechart maps that come with it ?
kimden5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 09:05   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Garmin Chartplotters

Generally only a worldwide base map comes with Garmin's and using the word 'map' is a stretch. Check and see if your unit is fitted with a memory stick slot (older unit) or an SD card slot. Then go to Garmin website and check to see what set of G2 or G2 Vision maps you want also double check compatibility of your device for which maps you're looking to buy (G2 or G2V). If you just want detailed charts with navaids with tide charts you can get all US waters for around $150 USD; If you want extra features like satellite images and 3D rendering of underwater features expect to pay upwards of $300 USD for a specific area with many overlapping areas. From my experience Garmin North America maps are quite accurate (PNW) but have heard they vary depending on where in the world you are from good to absolutely useless.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 10:44   #3

I have a GPSMAP 1040XS that cam with LakeVU HD & bluechart G2 coastal and SWFL Auto Guidance. My biggest complaint is the chart does not show channel marker numbers and the extra $239 I spent for the "autoguidance" feature was a complete waste of money. The half a dozen times I've tried to use it, it has taken me by way of China to get me there. Even places that were fairly close by and right off the ICW, it has taken me clear out into the Gulf of Mexico to get there.
Old 21-02-2017, 11:50   #4
rbk

Boat: T37

Not 100% sure but I think the auto guidance either has to be plotted in with the G2 maps manually and auto plotting is with the G2 Vision cards only.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 11:59   #5

Boat: Iroquois Catamaran #149

Quote:
The half a dozen times I've tried to use it, it has taken me by way of China to get me there. Even places that were fairly close by and right off the ICW, it has taken me clear out into the Gulf of Mexico to get there.
Did you set your air draft, water draft and distance from shore preferences?

Garmin uses those to calculate a preferred route.

Even the old garmin units with vision charts will follow the ICW.
VBsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 12:41   #6

Everything installed properly as far as the "auto guidance" card is concerned and I set all the preferences. It is a power boat so height wouldn't be an issue and my draft is only 3'. Still will not take me anywhere close to where I want to go in a reasonable manner.

Tags
chartplotter, garmin