Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2023, 17:11   #31

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Fuel Efficient Trawler and Electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
The smaller engines were John Deere 4045s. Many of the larger 6 cylinder engines in the 57 and 62s were Komatsu which were an excellent engine too.
Same with Cummins
The 855 Cummins in this and the 4cyl B series I have in another vessel are both Komatsu based.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 23:04   #32

We had plenty of room and payload in a 34ft catamaran for 2 of us.

A 40fter would be palatial and we wouldn't know what to use the payload for.

Of course, everyone's expectations are different but most cruisers find a 40-45ft catamran pretty darn big and easily enough payload unless going off on months (plural) long expeditions completely away from civilization.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 23:22   #33

Boat: Trophy 2359

Thanks Valhalla360. Sounds awesome. Firstly what country are you in and secondly, how would you assess the costs of a cat over a mono hull in terms of costs. Cheers Darren
Cruising Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 23:24   #34

How awesome would it be if there was an Australian site like this. When I am cruising, I hopefully will have time so might start one up...any thoughts from the experienced and wise
Darren
Old 08-01-2023, 23:29   #35

This is a test. When I try to reply, I get some message about a token having expired
Old 08-01-2023, 23:44   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising Roo View Post
Thanks Valhalla360. Sounds awesome. Firstly what country are you in and secondly, how would you assess the costs of a cat over a mono hull in terms of costs. Cheers Darren
We are in the USA. We did have a cat in Spain for a few years but life got in the way of using it.

Prior to that we lived aboard a 34ft Gemini Catamaran for 9yrs doing Americas Great Loop (Down the River System from Chicago, around Florida, up the East Coast, across the Great Lakes) and other cruising mostly on the Great Lakes.

Costs with cats do get tricky. Particularly as you get larger, you can't compare length to length. Our 34ft had accommodations more akin to a 38-40ft monohull. Most 45ft cats would be more akin to a 55-60ft monohull. When you hear people say cats are expensive, they are usually comparing length for length. When you compare similar accommodations, it's usually not a big difference.

If you plan to anchor out a lot, cats win hands down as the better platform. If you are spending a lot of time in marinas, it depends on the area. Of course, even if they add a 50% surcharge for being a cat, if your 45ft cat is equivalent to a 60ft monohull...it's largely a wash as most marinas charge by the foot of length and over 50ft, the per foot price often jumps.

We avoided the whole issue as our little cat was only a 14ft beam which fits in most standard 35-40ft slips. Also, any standard travel lift can pick her up. If you get into big cats with 25ft beams, you are typically forced to tie up on walls and some travel lifts won't be able to accommodate the width.

Not knowing the market real well down under, I don't know how the price difference will play out but certainly worth looking into cats.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 01:19   #37

Ummm. Not sure if I deduced much other than the fact...Um...Darren.., you have a bit to learn !!! I am glad the post helped others and for what it has done for me (and others) thank you all very much. I cut and posted all of the posts for me to research and I also have a mate who is an auto elec but not a marine one. I do not think that necessarily matters as the info from this site I think will bridge that gap. THANK YOU

Tags
electronics, fuel, trawler