Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2017, 15:49   #1

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34' 2006
Formula 430 SSC

I am considering purchasing a new Formula 430 Super Sport Crossover for day boating and an occasional overnight for 2 people – maybe Marco Island to Key West accompanied by other boats. I am a fair weather boater and will always avoid bad weather unless it sneaks up on me. It is a brand new (very different - outboard, etc.) model introduced at a late 2016 boat show. I would appreciate your comments on the matters below:

I hear almost 100% good things about Formula. Would you be concerned that this model is so new and so different that Formula might not have all the kinks worked out, i.e., huge, long punch list?

Seaworthiness - The swim platform is almost at water level and the entire sole of the cabin, helm, etc. is at the same level - no steps. This makes the boat essentially open to the sea at the stern; however I don't think I will be stopped or backing into a following sea. Bow has little flair; I don't know freeboard at the bow yet. Do you think this boat will be stout enough if I unexpectedly get caught in 6 foot seas?

All thoughts appreciated.
wcarmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 20:20   #2

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Re: Formula 430 SSC

My knee jerk comment is the back of that boat is too low to stop it in the ocean. Got to keep it running fast.

If wave comes over the engines can they continue to run...or will they stall out?

If you end up buying it, please let us know if that open back causes problems.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 17:08   #3

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Interesting no other replies. That is a very unique, smooth water user friendly transom, rough ocean water probably not. It looks great to scuba, snorkle, swim from. Even relaxing it looks like a great boat.

Your question, I think, is a very good one.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:42   #4

Boat: Cruisers 375

Cool boat!

I've stuffed my much higher bow through 6' waves with no problems, the water runs up the deck and off the sides. The bow pops up easily, despite the weight of water over it. Your low, open bow will stuff into a much lower wave and fill with 1000+ pounds of water, and not readily pop up for the next wave. Things could go badly from there.

Your open stern will similarly fill with water if you are unable to stay ahead of a following sea. A wave coming down on it can raise the bow and turn you sideways to the waves. It can also flood out those supercharged engines. You certainly have plenty of power to stay ahead of any wave, but you might not be able to do that. With that bow you won't dare top a wave and dive into the next, you will have to try to stay on top of a wave, and that might be impossible in confused seas without continuous swells to ride.

I'm not sure how sharp a wave you will be able to top without raising those props out of the water and losing both propulsion and steering, which will broach you sideways to the waves. A boat with rudders and props under the hull will do much better than one with props far back like these.

You will have no problem in long swells 6' or more tall, but in building waves or storms with short and confused waves 6' tall, you will be in danger. If waves are being called with a range up to 6', every 1000th wave can be twice the reported wave height, something to consider.
30West is offline   Reply With Quote