Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2019, 12:08   #1

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Form over function getting crazy

Okay I'm an older guy and prefer the looks of classic lines in power boats and sailboats as well. But some of the modern designs aren't too bad. But I have noticed a trend where form has over ruled function to the point of safety issues.

I just read an article highlighting this boat in the most recent Pacific Yachting magazine (May 2019). Okay, not my cup of tea in design, too many functional aspects of Pacific North West boating is lost on this design, but it would fit right into hot sunny area climates like Florida, Bahamas, etc.

I will post a link and scroll down, check out the cockpit:

Freedom 28 – Jasper Marine

There is real safety issues with a boat capable of 54 knots and an open cockpit, the obvious is some one goes flying when a bad wave is encountered either on the beam or bow. But this open area is a danger to kids and pets as well.

Now look at the bow and you will notice an opening in which an armature comes out to deploy the anchor. Without this arm, there could be no bow anchoring. Gee, I wonder what could go wrong electrically in rough weather with at anchor with this mechanism.

And at 54 knots, with this boat in the Broughtons, Desolation Sound, Jarvis and Princess Louisa Inlet it would be greeted with the same joy as a cigarette boat would experience. And lets talk about the debris which can be found in these waters, hitting them at 54 knots, don't even want to think about it. I don't want to think about it at 8 knots.

And how do you deploy fenders you might ask? Well, you can hang two out of the cabin on either side but bow access is not this boats strong point.

And the price of this boat - $500,000 Canadian.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 14:26   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Form over function getting crazy

Speaking of kids and pets and things, how about those open transoms with that kind of speed? They at least need doors to close.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 16:13   #3

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Re: Form over function getting crazy

My bad, I said open cockpit when I meant open transom.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fun