Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2016, 16:36   #1

First Time Looper

Hello everyone,I am new to the forum and hoping someone can help me with a couple questions.I live in michigan and have many years of boating expierience including many of them on lake michigan.I am taking on a new job and relocating to tampa florida by the end of this coming summer.I own a 1991 carver 33 aft cabin and will be spending part of the summer bringing it down the western part of the loop down the Illinios to the Mississippi to the Ohio river to the tennessee to the Tombigbee to the Gulf.I just bought this boat at the end of last summer and brought it across the lake from kenosha Wi. to Grand Haven MI.The boat carries 220 gallons of fuel,I filled it up before leaving WI.for around $3.00 a gallon and used half a tank at 18 to 22 knts. per hr. and its around 100 nm. from Kenosha Wi. to Grand Haven Mi.I am trying to figure out a rough estimate on what it is going to cost me to get the boat from Grand Haven Mi. to Tampa FL. doing 8 to 10 knts and how much time I should give myself,any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Sorry I forgot to specify that it has gas engines
next adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 16:58   #2

Boat: Krogen 42
Re: first time looper

everything you need to know is here

Home - America's Great Loop Cruisers' Association

Cruising America's Great Loop
Old 07-02-2016, 05:27   #3

Sounds like you have around a 200mile range at cruise speed and the will be an issue getting from St. Louis to Kentucky Lakes as there is around 260miles without a fuel stop. You do get the benefit of the current going down the Mississippi but you fight the current up the Ohio and Tennessee Rivers.

You need to do some tests to check your MPG at slower speeds. It should go up if you drop back to around 7-8kts (10 might not save you much as you are likely squatting and wasting fuel).

Once you find your MPG at the lower speed, it's about 1300miles to Mobile and a few hundred more to Tampa. Add it up and it's a simple calculation. (assuming you can resist the urge to go faster)
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:29   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, next adventure.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:38   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Welcome to CF NA!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:45   #6

Thanks for the help everyone,typically a twin engine cruiser is set up to go around 200 to 250 nm. at the boats designated cruise speed so I was thinking if I were to go less than half the boats cruise speed wich from my research I have done so far most of the trip is no wake I should be able to increase my range substantially?When a boat is being ran at not much over idle its not using much fuel in my expierience?My boat does have gph gauges,dont know how accurate they are.I have only done the one trip on this boat and it was time for haul out.
next adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:24   #7

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Our 26' boat is a planing hull, single diesel with sterndrive, but might offer some relevant experience.

When we travel at 6 knots (most of the time), only a little above our hull speed, we get 2.5X as many miles per gallon as we get when on plane at 17-18 knots. Could probably do even better at 5.5 knots.

If we push the speed up a knot or so, we can clearly see the bow rising - the boat is trying to get up on plane. At 7 knots we get only 2X the mpg we get at 17-18. Push it to 7.5 knots and it's substantially worse.

So if you want best mpg, you'd want to go slow enough your bow isn't starting to rise - maybe 7 knots or only a little more.

All speeds relative to water, of course. If you have current in your favor, you can go that much faster.
NewMoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:21   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If you can handle the slow speed, you will find that if you slow down so that your rolling only a small wake, your fuel burn will may get your 4 or more miles per gallon, push her up on plane, 1 MPG ain't that bad, really.
Think of it this way, rolling that wake, your moving tens or hundreds of thousands of pounds of water, yeah I know it's a wave, water really isn't moving, but point being the energy your seeing to form that big ole rolling wake, is coming from your fuel tank, nowhere else. Your burning a tremendous amount of Diesel to form that wake.

Take it from a former Sportfisherman, often your in no wake zones, itching to get to where you can get her up on plane, only for one minute, then the next no wake zone appears. Sit back, relax, turn on some music and learn to enjoy going slow
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:30   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

OK, just reread your post, you have gas motors, Doubly say slow down as gas motors are real fuel hogs, I had twin 454's myself.
I'm sure you do, but make sure you have a fuel "sniffer" and run those bilge blowers before every start.
In my sailboat I figure 50 miles a day on the ICW, that gives me plenty of time at the fuel dock etc., and it's an easy day, sometimes I have to wait a little for bridges etc.
You don't have to wait for many bridges, but will be hitting the fuel dock more often. I'd start with the 50 mile a day plan, then adjust as necessary, I feel sure 50 would be easy, but 75 may be tough and take some of the fun out of it, but there may be sections where you can jump on plane for extended times and knock out a 100 easy?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:38   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1965 Cal 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by next adventure View Post
Thanks for the help everyone,typically a twin engine cruiser is set up to go around 200 to 250 nm. at the boats designated cruise speed so I was thinking if I were to go less than half the boats cruise speed wich from my research I have done so far most of the trip is no wake I should be able to increase my range substantially?
If you run both engines at a speed that will give you 7-10K, you'll likely find that your fuel consumption and range will change drastically. All you have to do is resist the temptation to go faster. I made this trip in a very heavy but fuel sipping 44' sailboat last fall and travelling at this speed is just fine.

Feel free to PM me or email directly to capnm@mascom.com and I'll be happy to share and provide whatever info you need. You can also read the blog I wrote on this trip at: S/V Dutchess Crew Blog - Great Loop: Hammond, IN to Mobile, AL

It is an interesting and fun trip, but plan on 5-6 weeks so you can relax a bit on the way. If you push, you can make it faster, but with about 1,200 miles and 25 locks, you'll never make it really fast unless you burn much more fuel. At about 1800 rpm, we were able to make 8K boat speed most of the time; with the current on the Mississippi we made 110 miles one day. Keep in mind that, while we always think in knots, all of the distances on the COE charts that you'll use are in statue miles. It will make your life easier to toggle your GPS to show speeds in Statue miles for this trip.

Murph'

Greg Murphy
S/V Amalia
1965 Cal 30
Muskegon, MI
CaptainMurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:28   #11

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Re: First Time Looper

265/270 miles is the longest distance between stops from Hoppie's to the Tennessee River below Kentucky dam. The current on the Mississippi will help you till your against the Ohio river current. I would carry a bladder with 50 or 75 gallons or make arrangements well in advance to meet a fuel truck at a boat ramp along the way.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 07:33   #12

Boat: None at this time, still looking for my next great looper

We've done the Loop at 8-9 K,s been passed daily by faster boats, only to see them again, passing us 2-3 times daily, then find them at the same marina as we end up in. they have much deeper pockets then we have and fuel bills 3 times higher. Part of looping is to relax and enjoy life. forget the hurry, hurry, and plan a loop of about 50 miles or so a day, excluding weekends, and enjoy trip. From Florida west side to back home is usually 90-120 days, as we lay down on weekends when the hot shots are out, and barley popping around the waters. Week ends we sight see and clean boat and laundry. Enjoy the cruise, live the life!
KidSheeleen is offline   Reply With Quote