Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2013, 23:45   #76

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
Re: Fiberglass maintenance?

Hi GG what is your price range? and how much can you afford for upkeep, fuel, docking ect a year?
Have you considered a power cat? A 35ft would give as much room give or take but ill let the experts correct me on that.

Also to give my opinion 2c worth Fiberglass would be my first choice any day off the wee.

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 04:11   #77
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Since I am an old man and had to learn my sailing and power boating by actually doing it I find it amusing that people now are learning on the net.
yeah. the internet college, who knew right?
basically today you can get book knowledge from the internet like you can from college.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 04:26   #78
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
Hi GG what is your price range? and how much can you afford for upkeep, fuel, docking ect a year?
Have you considered a power cat? A 35ft would give as much room give or take but ill let the experts correct me on that.

Also to give my opinion 2c worth Fiberglass would be my first choice any day off the wee.

great question. i do not believe she mentioned that.
a 60' chris cost about 200,000 thou, i made an assumption on that.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 05:34   #79

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

About half of these are under $150,000 asking...even the $199,000 one will go for significantly less at some point...many are aluminum..

Chris Craft Boats For Sale
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 07:25   #80

GG:
Could not agree with you more about the experience. But since you do not have any you can learn an awful lot by simple doing some serious web research. It is the most amazing source of information and it is FREE. For example you could have got a definitive answer to your materials questions by checking out postings by David Pascoe (boat design guru). Other notables would include people like Nigel Calder (electrical guru) and many other very knowledgeable individuals who have chosen to offer their experience for free. To discount the web as you did, just shows me that you have not really done any serious research and think you can make your decisions based on the collective "wisdom" of forums like this. Good luck!!
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 13:31   #81

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

GG, in case you haven't seen it, I think this Nordhavn in Florida has at least 4 staterooms counting separate crew quarters, and all three guest stateroom have optional berthing (bunks, pull-outs, etc.) so it looks like it will at least occasionally sleep 10-12 if necessary (if I've counted correctly).

Shippy, systems look good on paper, lots of features you'd likely appreciate...

-Chris
Old 15-07-2013, 06:47   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
i believe she is for real.
and yes i know a TON about powerboats. and i know my sailboat cost less to run :P
she wants the same thing i did when i started. a massive boat with 3500 SQFT. the math does not work. my first boat i wanted was an 85' steel trawler i did 3 years of powerboat research, and it does not work out to go anywhere. i have come to realize if you want to move stay small, and you will go places.
I understand what your saying and it makes plenty of sense, but remember, I have 5 kids. I'm trying to get the smallest boat that we can squeeze into, without being miserable.
Old 15-07-2013, 06:53   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post

I've actually considered a powercat, but don't think it's for me, but I do plan to view at least one in person to be sure. There aren't any, or at least that I have noticed, here in Ma or nearby, or I would have looked already.
Old 15-07-2013, 07:01   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
About half of these are under $150,000 asking...even the $199,000 one will go for significantly less at some point...many are aluminum..

Chris Craft Boats For Sale
Thanks for the link, but I am really focusing right now on Plan A boats. The only reason that I looked at that Chris Craft (as a Plan B) boat, was because it was located 20 minutes from me.
Old 15-07-2013, 07:08   #85

Boat: 40' Northstar 80/20
I still don't get why you're avoiding sailboats. You've got the biggest hurdle covered: able bodies to crew!
Old 15-07-2013, 07:08   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs View Post
GG:
Could not agree with you more about the experience. But since you do not have any you can learn an awful lot by simple doing some serious web research. It is the most amazing source of information and it is FREE. For example you could have got a definitive answer to your materials questions by checking out postings by David Pascoe (boat design guru). Other notables would include people like Nigel Calder (electrical guru) and many other very knowledgeable individuals who have chosen to offer their experience for free. To discount the web as you did, just shows me that you have not really done any serious research and think you can make your decisions based on the collective "wisdom" of forums like this. Good luck!!
I have read plenty of articles and gotten a lot of information from the web and magazines. There is lots of good info out there, as you have said, from reputable individuals. There is also lots of rubbish, but we all know that. I like to do both. Search out good articles AND hear from regular folks what their experience has been. Brings nice balance
Plus, I like to hear the different perspectives. There are many ways to skin cats and I like to hear them all
Old 15-07-2013, 07:13   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
GG, in case you haven't seen it, I think this Nordhavn in Florida has at least 4 staterooms counting separate crew quarters, and all three guest stateroom have optional berthing (bunks, pull-outs, etc.) so it looks like it will at least occasionally sleep 10-12 if necessary (if I've counted correctly).

Shippy, systems look good on paper, lots of features you'd likely appreciate...

-Chris
Sssshhhh...Don't tell anyone...(ha,ha,ha)

But seriously, yes, I've seen that Nordie. It's awesome, but somewhat above my budget, and I don't think those boats get negotiated much

It would be perfect for what I need, and is on my radar.
Old 15-07-2013, 07:18   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbaftAndBaffled View Post
I still don't get why you're avoiding sailboats. You've got the biggest hurdle covered: able bodies to crew!
1. They don't have the same space as powerboats
2. They are low in the water. I would rather be higher.
3. Not interested in sailing and relying on wind, masts, sails etc.
4. Like multiple decks
5. Don't want weather exposure while underway
Old 15-07-2013, 07:35   #89

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Sssshhhh...Don't tell anyone...(ha,ha,ha)

But seriously, yes, I've seen that Nordie. It's awesome, but somewhat above my budget, and I don't think those boats get negotiated much

It would be perfect for what I need, and is on my radar.

Hmmm... I see the YachtWorld link I included seems to have floated away... In any case, I meant the 1996 62' Pilothouse model in Ortona...

Yeah, dunno how much wiggle room there might be in that asking price, if any. And compared to the other three listed, it might be much closer to a real-world price already.

OTOH, all that's without having looked at any of those in person... and it would certainly seem instructive to actually view this model somewhere, partly to get a feel for how the layout really might (or might not) work... and partly just for comparison to other candidates. If it turns out to be a near-perfect layout (as much as boats ever get close to that mark), you could also maybe use what you learn to shop for slightly older/less expensive models of the same boat (assuming such exist).

Take the kids to Disney World while you're down there

BTW and FWIW, I'm theoretically familiar with the Cummins main engine in that boat, since it's a derated version of the turbo engines we have. Reasonably straightforward...

-Chris

Tags
fiberglass, maintenance