Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 18:45   #31

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: Fiberglass maintenance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Wow, I'm surprised people like you are still asking if I'm real. I have a blog with my kids and my pic up for goodness sake. Or is that an elaborate hoax too? Do you really think I'm going to put all this effort into something that isn't real.

I think it's just hard for some people to believe that the world doesn't revolve they way they think it should. Some people, like me, are VERY out- of -the- box, and I think that's it hard for someone like you to understand that.

What's the big friggin deal anyway? I'm selling my house and buying a big boat. So what? Why is that so unbelievable? Lots of people do the same thing all the time. And, so what if I have zero experience, that's already been done too. I'll learn! Believe me, I'm not the first and most definitely will not be the last.
This is not true...lot's of people with zero experience don't buy a 50+ something boat...let alone with 5 kids...

While believable....there are many little issues that make it not believable for some, believable for some and the rest of us are sitting back and enjoying the ride....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 18:58   #32

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

GG, if you are for Real, Then maybe it's time ya had somebody help ya look at boats! as it is you seem to really don't have an Idea what you need or really want! If your going to be safe with your children, then you really need some help to show ya just what you are looking at ! With the type of money your talking about spending, there are some real long distance cruisers out there for sale! and you don't seem to be looking at the right types ! At least so far anyway ! Im sure even a buyers broker would be a big help! Not knowing where your really at I don't know if theres someone near you ! But Im sure haveing some good help would really save ya some money and time !! Just a idea from an old timer !
Old 12-07-2013, 19:01   #33
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

oh, for the record GG your looking at the wrong boats.
if you will be staying in just the US, never venturing offshore, get a houseboat.
if you want to see things, get a sailboat.
you can find them with 3 staterooms. i have one just like that. i can sleep 8-12, in BEDS, no folding tables here!
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 19:32   #34

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

GG if you are real I would agree your out of the box the question is now that you jumped out of the box where and how are you going to land? I repeat my previous advice slow down baby steps first. Maybe get a land base close to the water and a large boat yard. Take sailing and boating courses(kids also) look into the US Power squadron. Consider a few charters after you get certified as competent skipper. Then consider a medium sized boat and start going out for longer and longer outings start with a long weekend. and work up to a month or two. Hang out in the boat yard keep your eyes and ears open. Then if you want a 60 something boat do it. I am actually an out of the box thinker and doer but I caution you there is a difference between jumping out of a box and thinking and engineering and using experience to move out.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 04:14   #35

Boat: contessa 32

Wax a boat? Never even waxed my cars.Fixed em so I could sail em ,then went sailing, no time for waxing. Never sailed a car tho.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 04:30   #36

I am waiting for the book followed by the movie "5 kids in a boat, with Mum". A tale of terror on the high seas.
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 04:59   #37

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hi Chris! There is no need to mock GG. She is trying her best, in her own way, to tailor her next challenge. While the road is full of bumps, old salts should strive in providing her the best advice possible, without any ridicule.

Mauritz
Old 13-07-2013, 06:18   #38

I just think that she would be much better to try to answer these questions by doing her own research on the web,by reading magazines, books, attending shows and actually visiting some boats for sale. Just about any question you need answered can be resolved by doing a web search. There are many qualified sources on the web to provide in depth answers to all the questions she has asked. The forum is great for some info, and refining information, but when she is starting from zero it is hardly the place for the baby steps!
Plus I believe that encouraging somebody with 5 kids in a foolhardy venture is not such a great idea. She has been given lots and lots of (good) advice but has chosen to ignore most of it.
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 07:00   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
This is not true...lot's of people with zero experience don't buy a 50+ something boat...let alone with 5 kids...
Well, that's even better, love being a first
Old 13-07-2013, 07:02   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs View Post
I just think that she would be much better to try to answer these questions by doing her own research on the web,by reading magazines, books, attending shows and actually visiting some boats for sale. Just about any question you need answered can be resolved by doing a web search. There are many qualified sources on the web to provide in depth answers to all the questions she has asked. The forum is great for some info, and refining information, but when she is starting from zero it is hardly the place for the baby steps!
Plus I believe that encouraging somebody with 5 kids in a foolhardy venture is not such a great idea. She has been given lots and lots of (good) advice but has chosen to ignore most of it.
Chris, last time I checked your weren't at my dinner table. How would you know what other research I am doing?
Old 13-07-2013, 07:11   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
there are some real long distance cruisers out there for sale! and you don't seem to be looking at the right types !
I'm curious. What, in your opinion, would be the "right" type?
Old 13-07-2013, 07:32   #42
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
I'm curious. What, in your opinion, would be the "right" type?
are you planning to go somewhere?
Old 13-07-2013, 07:46   #43
cruiser

wait, are you hoping to cruise the world on a 60' semi-planning powerboat?
one with a 600 mile range?
yeah, i had gone down that line of questions too.
semi-planning powerboats like the chriscraft your looking at are dock queens.
if you wish to see pandas, or see other religions, you will not be in a powerboat.
that may be why people are thinking your fake.
start looking at tri-cabin sailboats. they sleep 6, and if you add bunks, they can sleep up to 12.
Old 13-07-2013, 07:49   #44
cruiser

and FYI to fill a 50' class trawler that can cross oceans in europe will cost you about $20,000 for the Atlantic crossing. oh, and fuel prices are going up again right now.
Old 13-07-2013, 08:33   #45

Boat: Vancouver 27

50' or 60' is a lot of boat! My only advice is don't be tempted to buy the biggest boat you can afford. If you're gonna cruise, keep it manageable. Seems rare to see boats larger than 50' without hired crew to manage and maintain things. 5 kids certainly suggests getting a bigger boat that you might otherwise, but compared to a house with a yard, a boat is always going to feel small. Don't try to get around that! The whole world is potentially at your backdoor though, which seems like a fair trade...

Also, a smaller boat is going to be easier and safer to manage when things go wrong.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass, maintenance