Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 17:31   #31
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:

As for steel or fiberglass? That is a personal preference that most sailors choose based on their familiarity with the vessel. Most people I know with steel boats grew up on them or were in the steel/welding trades. Recreational steel boats for the most part are a labor of love, although there are a lot in Europe, you will find that the majority of recreational boats in the USA are fiberglass.
This is a common mis conception, if you leave out Dutch motor cruisers , which are a particular boat for a particular cruising ground , steel boats are rare in Europe m the vast vast majority are FRP. Aluminium has a place in custom one offs and some quirky French stuff , but by and large steel is rare.

Dave
Old 08-07-2013, 17:35   #32

Re: Fiberglass and International Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
On be Atlantic crossing , we didnt touch the rig for days , boats are never prisons ,owner or sail.

Dave
Thanks Dave,

Calling any boat a prison is quite the oxymoron.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:23   #33

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

GG you know we all want to hear from you in the future to see how things are going. What you learn good or bad has to come back so others can learn. Here is the daily pearl( sorry not FG or steel just iron or Al.) Start learning about diesel motors try articles at boatdiesel.com and tony's tips at Seaboard marine.You may get some grease under your nails but any knowledge and experience with the iron(now often Al.) horse will be invaluable for the boat Gypsy life style.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:56   #34

GG Re; boat as prison it is all a matter of state of mind and the color of your lens filters. Is an automobile a prison? Mom are we there yet how much longer??? On a boat it can easily be 6 weeks to the next port.
Old 10-07-2013, 16:56   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
GG Re; boat as prison it is all a matter of state of mind and the color of your lens filters. Is an automobile a prison? Mom are we there yet how much longer??? On a boat it can easily be 6 weeks to the next port.
At this point I'm looking at my house as the biggest prison and can't wait to get out of here.

6 weeks until the next port? Where would that be? It's only about 2 weeks to cross the Atlantic.

We will be taking short jaunts and stopping frequently. We won't be traveling hotspot to hotspot. I want a taste of everything in between.
Old 10-07-2013, 17:34   #36

GG another example of what you don't know. Two weeks to cross the Atlantic? What kind of boat is that you are thinking of? How much fuel if power will it carry and at what speed will it travel? Most transoceanic pleasure power craft will be traveling like 6K to stretch their fuel and many sailboats will average 6 or less knots. I have kids who can barely stand 4 hours on a boat. I hope you take the time to find out if your kids dream fits your dream.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:05   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
GG another example of what you don't know. Two weeks to cross the Atlantic? What kind of boat is that you are thinking of? How much fuel if power will it carry and at what speed will it travel? Most transoceanic pleasure power craft will be traveling like 6K to stretch their fuel and many sailboats will average 6 or less knots. I have kids who can barely stand 4 hours on a boat. I hope you take the time to find out if your kids dream fits your dream.
My kids will be fine. They will LOVE cruising. Life is what you make it. If you make it fun. Problem is, some people just don't know how to have fun, because they are too busy being miserable.

What route are you talking about to cross the Atlantic? I really don't think its a 6 week crossing, but what do I know.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:15   #38

I have 3 friends who left Massachusetts one month ago. They are presently in the Azores on their way to UK. They have not wasted any time site seeing!! It will likely take another 20 days to reach UK. They have averaged 5.5kt in a 35ft sailboat with motor assist. Most cruisers can not or will not take a bee line from US to Europe. Most power vessels need to refuel somewhere out there, or at least glimpse land for sanity reasons. Total distance from Massachusetts to UK via Azores is about 3,500nm which at 6kt, non stop, will take a minimum of 3.5 weeks. Africa is closer!!
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:19   #39

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya GG! Cargo ships and warships are made of steel, because of the tasks they were intended to perform. Steel/metal structures require a bit more maintenance than fiberglass, everything else being equal. I hope this helps!

Mauritz
Old 12-07-2013, 10:34   #40

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

It's a whole lot easier to cart around a gallon of resin, a tube of hardener, a couple yards of cloth and some sandpaper and brushes than a welder, gas, a big generator if dock power isn't available, wire or rods, a grinder, grinder discs, a welding helmet, etching compound, primer, and paint.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:38   #41

Steve! Well said and to the point! +

Mauritz
Old 12-07-2013, 10:45   #42

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Thanks!
I forgot that she has 5 kids. I'd go steel knowing that. 5 kids should create enough friction that you can apply a couple of children where needed and it will melt the steel with no problem, no welder needed.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:48   #43

SWW...what a goofy guy...brought me a chuckle, though! <Be nice!>

Mauritz
Old 12-07-2013, 11:00   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs View Post
I have 3 friends who left Massachusetts one month ago. They are presently in the Azores on their way to UK. They have not wasted any time site seeing!! It will likely take another 20 days to reach UK. They have averaged 5.5kt in a 35ft sailboat with motor assist. Most cruisers can not or will not take a bee line from US to Europe. Most power vessels need to refuel somewhere out there, or at least glimpse land for sanity reasons. Total distance from Massachusetts to UK via Azores is about 3,500nm which at 6kt, non stop, will take a minimum of 3.5 weeks. Africa is closer!!
Right, but that's still point to point.
What's the longest leg though? Pretty sure its about 23 days.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:10   #45

I agree that you should be able to get to the Azores easily in less than 2 weeks in a 70ft power boat at 7kt.
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass