Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2020, 14:53   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Fender Covers advice experiences etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Sunbrella is s poor choice

The fabric will have a long vertical seam
The seam stitching chafes and the cover fails

Additionally sunbrella doesn’t stretch

You install a cover with the fender deflated, then inflate the fender into the cover

Over pressure when inflating or overpressure when the fender heats up in the sun will burst the seam
Different ships, different long splices, mate. I always have fitted the covers over the inflated fender. It works well that way, too.

I went and looked at Sailrite's boat blanket fender material. It is a polyester fabric, perhaps UV treated, I couldn't tell from what they had there, not much in the way of description.

Ann
Old 06-05-2020, 15:32   #17

Boat: Island Packet 27

If you leave the boat in the water over the winter and have it shrink wrapped, take off the covers as the heat gut may melt/singe the fleece material.
brucebach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 16:29   #18

Boat: Dix 43 HD

also consider if it is really worth having more plastic whatever onboard so that it can abrade into the water at your local dock point. Tread lightly - stay safe
Grattaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 17:00   #19

Around our marina, it is common to see a fender just floating around. Painting your boat name on the fender top is cheap and easy to do. Irrespective of any covering, the fender that is floating around is not doing its job.
We have always used really cheap colourful T shirts from the local op shop. OK, not spiffy or very ship smart, but effective.
I have also noted that the marks left on a hull depends on a number of factors. The hull paint/condition, the actual fender material or its cover and the amount of "fendering pressure/contact" a fender is doing.. But another factor is your proximity to aircraft passover paths -take off/landing. Unburnt or even burnt aviation fuel tends to create black stains that are hard to remove.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 17:32   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgewater View Post
Around our marina, it is common to see a fender just floating around. Painting your boat name on the fender top is cheap and easy to do. Irrespective of any covering, the fender that is floating around is not doing its job.
We have always used really cheap colourful T shirts from the local op shop. OK, not spiffy or very ship smart, but effective.
I have also noted that the marks left on a hull depends on a number of factors. The hull paint/condition, the actual fender material or its cover and the amount of "fendering pressure/contact" a fender is doing.. But another factor is your proximity to aircraft passover paths -take off/landing. Unburnt or even burnt aviation fuel tends to create black stains that are hard to remove.
Yes indeed

Regulations and good seamanship requires that all floating objects on the yacht are labeled with the yachts name ...fender, cushions Floorboards , life jackets ...anything that floats

Good corona downtime project ...start labeling
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 18:08   #21

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
I went and looked at Sailrite's boat blanket fender material. It is a polyester fabric, perhaps UV treated, I couldn't tell from what they had there, not much in the way of description.

Ann
In five years in the Med I haven’t seen any degradation from UV. Sorry, I’m not a fabric guy, but I can tell you they still look great. We haven’t been particularly gentle with them...

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 18:48   #22

Boat: Hunter 44DS

I make simple cheap ones up that I can replace when they wear out for near nothing I just go along to a department store and buy a couple of pairs of real large size track pants with elastic at the ankles cut the legs off feed the rope of the fender through the elastic part of the leg you can pull it down over the top.
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 19:00   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Irwin 52

the fender covers from Cape Hatteras Marine, are the best I have seen, I have seen many that are ten years old and holding up great to UV and abrasion, more importantly they are soft on your hull. they are made of the sailrite boat blanket material, easy to sew up and will last forever, do it once and forget it. Cape Hatteras does nice boat name embroidery also.
jharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 19:32   #24

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Maine Coast Marine Products. Great looking and long lasting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4304.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	427.0 KB
ID:	214541
Old 08-05-2020, 06:18   #25

What Ilanortho says. 2 to 3 years life at ('for me) 4€ per cover. The only downside is going into the shop and buying five pairs of xxl womens leggings.
Cheaper on ebay or alibaba. And less embarrasing
Differentroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:04   #26

Boat: campion 32 motorsail. 25 beachcomber ketch

up here in Canada some time ago I went to a thrift store and bought some kids hockey socks. unfortunately due to my boats dark blue canvas I was forced to buy Toronto Maple Leafs bue and white colours…. sigh . they work great and because they are two toned look good . I had to add a Calgary Flames burgee so my friends didn't get the wrong idea....all the best.
svhydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 21:21   #27

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyann View Post
I'm guessing if this is the correct place to post this question. We are looking for
advice, experience, concerning what's the best fabric to look for when purchasing fender covers. Lots of choices but when you can't touch and feel the fabric along with seeing the construction,(stitching, rope ) it's a crap shoot for me knowing nothing fabrics and brands available. We like rugged. Patty
Fendress do a very nice quality double layered fender sock. When the outer is faded or worn, just turn inside out for a whole new cover.

The fabric is soft and top quality. Ours have lasted 8+ years.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, fender