Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2016, 06:27   #1

Extra gas tank portable

Hi, I recently acquired a twin gas (100 gal X 2 tanks) powered cruiser (31 Mainship Sedan). I am looking to add an auxiliary collapsible fuel tank to give me added and backup gasoline. 100 gallon tank will extend my range by up to 50% so I can cruise further. Any advise as to:

A. Whether to purchase such extra fuel storage device,

B. What brand including accessories should I purchase?

C. Does anyone have experience with such devices and will you please share with me as well as the group?

D. Does anyone have such a device for sale?

Thanks for any advice
Tebeau
teveau169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:34   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Extra gas tank portable

There are quite a few specific made bladder tanks designed for exactly what you intend.
I'd buy one of those specifically designed for carrying fuel.
This is just the first on Google came up with for me, there are others I'm sure. I do not yet have one myself, but I see them as maybe being superior to Jerry cans. Just I have been told to leave it completly full until you intend to use it, then drain it into one of your main tanks, a half full bladder tank in heavy seas may not be safe.

Collapsible Fuel Tanks and Bladders for Aviation and Marine - Turtlepac
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:07   #3

Sounds scary , 100 gallons of gasoline , be very careful !
Perstarebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 14:06   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Just I have been told to leave it completly full until you intend to use it, then drain it into one of your main tanks, a half full bladder tank in heavy seas may not be safe.

Just a comment: might not be all that easy to safely and cleanly transfer boatloads of fuel from a bladder to the main tanks. Might need some thought about connection hoses, fittings, etc... and would maybe depend somewhat on where the tank fills are located.

There are some large, hard-sided portable fuel tank/pump combos, sometimes on wheels. Moeller I think, or similar. Likely not easily managed; maybe couldn't fill first and then lift the suckers into the cockpit due to both weight and shape. Might have to fill in the cockpit instead, but then something like that might make it easier to transfer to main tanks.

FWIW, we extend our range by slowing down to trawler speed... when sea states and so forth permit. Not a particularly elegant solution, but it's cheap and (usually) easy.

-Chris
Old 07-03-2016, 23:01   #5

Teveau
You have about a 200 mile range now. Are you going to be cruising beyond available fueling stations? Where do you plan to put 100gal. Of fuel in a flexible bag so it and you will be safe? You will also need a pump,hose& nozzle to transfer fuel into your main tanks and a locker to store it in.
Unless you plan to go into some remote areas, you are looking at some expense as well as adding a significant risk factor to your boating.
Look at adding a permanent belly tank in the bilge.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
GPSocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:28   #6

Where are you planning to cruise? If you slow down, you should have upwards of a 400mile range. That's usually sufficent to get to the next gas dock.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:44   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I used to put two, sometimes three blue plastic barrels on the swim platform for going out to the Middle Grounds for a long weekend. 60 gl ea. originally used to carry some kind of fruit juice, they were all over the panhandle, you see them used for trash cans etc.
Take out the small bung, put a long piece of transmission cooling line down it, attacted to 5/16 fuel line, an electric pump, filter and an extra cap for the boat that I had drilled and tapped for a 5/16" nipple.

Not the best plan, I'm sure a turtle pac is better
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote