Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2017, 11:26   #31

Boat: West Wight Potter 19
Re: Don't laugh, but how crazy is this idea?

Sailing is dependent on being prepared for anything because quite literally anything can happen. I wouldn't want on any kind of a Pontoon Boat 5 miles out which something happened that you didn't expect. Its not like you can batten down the hatches and ride it out.

Its a crazy idea because things out on the water especially the ocean are never like they are supposed to be except when it doesn't matter .
How much speed can you make in a pontoon boat?
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:37   #32

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

The tri-toon I would buy would have a 150hp outboard and could push the boat at various speeds from 22kts to 35kts.

Do you think a tri-toon boat would sink?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 13:20   #33

Boat: Albin A25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I think with waves at 5' a small craft advisory would be issued. I would not go out in those conditions. And if I saw a thunder head building I would head in at 25 knots. Even if the fish were biting.

A capsized pontoon boat would not sink and may make the best turtled boat to be on/with. Upside down you could sit on the center toon with your feet in 4" of water.
I have several friends that use pontoons for offshore here on the Suncoast of Florida, most have had safe voyages, a few not so much. One had a pontoon crack from being caught out in heavy seas. Pontoons have a lot of bracketing and welding which are points of weakness during movement and stress. Additionally, if a pontoon overturns the underside is not free of these bracket and supports, it would not be like being on a raft on a calm day the rocking and pitching could make the underside a dangerous place to be.

Once again it is all about the weather and sea conditions.
Keeping the wife happy is a good thing, keeping her safe, even better!
Srqdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 13:30   #34

Do you know if the boats that broke up had two pontoons or three pontoons as in a tri-toon?

Seems the newer tri-toon salt water editions are built with extra bracing.

I watched boats again today going in and out of Ponds Inlet Daytona Florida l. There were no pontoon boats. Must be a reason.

Having a blank slate to do boat research I am now back to a 24' (ish) center console.
Old 04-05-2017, 13:34   #35

Today on the Nature Coast of Florida.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-05-04-15-32-44.png
Views:	91
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	147075
Old 04-05-2017, 13:37   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
This is silly. Four to five miles out into the ocean on a calm day in virtually any small boat, or boat designed for coastal waters, is fine. It comes down to the weather and a bit of preparation, such as having a VHF and suitable safety gear.

I used to windsurf a few miles out into the ocean. Have taken a 14' Hobie cat, 14' Whaler, etc. out that far. The ocean does not magically turn nasty in a calm and predictable forecast.

In truth, it's often getting through the inlet that is more dangerous and challenging in a small boat, depending on the inlet.

For real. I have been out the Jupiter inlet and felt like a washing machine!
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 22:57   #37

But an old used boat for a few thousand. Get the feel of your boating area. Then decide from a position of knowledge how you want to spend 25 grand+ .
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:10   #38

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I was sailing in what I thought were rather benign conditions near Steinhatchie last June (20 knots and 4-5 foot waves) when I heard a mayday call for a pontoon boat that had overturned just a few miles from me.

Strictly for protected waters unless you are the super adventurous type.
Used to work as a charter captain/instructor at a marina which also rented pontoon boats....have done many a pontoon boat rescue when weather went bad suddenly. Rough water and big wind is not their strong suit.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:43   #39
cruiser

Boat: Cargile Cutter 28'

BOHICA! You can take virtually any boat, pontoon or otherwise out a mile or so on a good weather day. I owned a 20' Landau, 2 logs, Yamaha 80hp for neigh 20 years. We used to go out Fort George inlet on good weather days (near flat water). Same out of Steinhatchee and Crystal River. Pontoons are bolted together flat water boats. Anything greater that 1'-2' is a miserable ride. When I hear "salt water pontoon" ox y-moron comes to mind. If you want to go off shore, use a boat designed for it. If you want to enjoy flat water cruising on an 8'x20'+ living room, get a pontoon. It may be your salesman is selling a dubious product designed to relocate more of your money in his pocket.
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 00:48   #40

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Tarpon Springs Sponge-o-rama runs a large pontoon boat out into the GOM to watch dolphin and to collect shells on an island. Not exactly sure but they take their large pontoon boat about 5 miles out into the Gulf.

But that is a special built commercial large pontoon boat.

I am thinking this a the pontoon boat trend as they are building these boats now with planning strakes, putting big outboards on them and pulling water skiers with them.

I agree they work better on flat water but also on calm ocean days. Not on small craft advisory days...which is at least 1/3 of the days. During these days the boat could be used on the ICW.
Lived in Tarpon a bit. The distance to the islands is around 2-3 miles no? Then another 2 into the gulf? Deep water is farther out there. Inside the islands is fairly shallow and can get choppy . We went fishing out there a lot . But again not in crappy weather.
The sponge boats won't risk the weather either, don't you think so ?
I think the question is not the boat but the weather.
Those trtoons I've seen are well built.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:54   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Remember the weather can change quickly.
And with 25mph speeds, you can be back to the inlet quickly (12min for 5miles)

Yes, you have to pay attention to the weather but most sub-30' boats do also (even bigger boats to tell the truth).

It's very doable and as long as you aren't stupid reasonably safe.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:33   #42

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
And with 25mph speeds, you can be back to the inlet quickly (12min for 5miles)

Yes, you have to pay attention to the weather but most sub-30' boats do also (even bigger boats to tell the truth).

It's very doable and as long as you aren't stupid reasonably safe.
Agree not a crazy idea, but I would stay near the inlet and keep a close eye on the weather. If it catches you out, you wont be doing 25mph.

Having rescued quite a few, I can tell you these things are pigs in any signficant weather, take lots of water over the decks, prone to capsize due to wind/waves, and not typically well built...welds break, furniture/awnings come detached etc...great fun!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote