Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2011, 15:23   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: Does 'this' Sound Like a Good Deal ?

A beauty and Gardners are built to work. I've heard fishermen on this coast speak of them with respect. Have you budgeted for moorage as well as maintenance? If you are only going to spend $5000 a year over the next five years you want to be sure everything is accounted for. It's pretty easy to spend $5000 on a boat.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 16:05   #17

Im starting to believe this is too much boat for me to handle right now. Maybe one day I can liveaboard something like this and justify the time and expense.
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 16:56   #18

Boat: 48 Californian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
Im starting to believe this is too much boat for me to handle right now. Maybe one day I can liveaboard something like this and justify the time and expense.
cardude, would this be a first boat, or first powerboat?
Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 18:01   #19

Saw this boat a couple of weeks ago and started to drool just thinking about the eng. We have 1978 49 RPH DeFever with Paravane stablizers, with all the engine room consumables(45 gal of oil) and the admirals 6 month provisioning our draft is 5 feet wet. Have not had any problems in the bahamas and if we wanted to do the shallower routes we played the tides. If I was in the market this would be one I would consider.
Old 23-09-2011, 18:35   #20
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

Duggan Marine Diesel in Fort Lauderdale....I don't know if they are still in business.

They travel everywhere to work on them....they may "know the boat"

I was CE on a 85 Ketch that had twin Gardners.....they were trouble free.

The only downside was they had their own set of wrenches (British)

Beautiful tool kit that was supplied with engines.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 11:43   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyndance II

I've chartered "trawlers" in Fl and the Abacos, and I've owned boats all my life--houseboats ,cheap coastal cruisers, fishing skiffs, etc. Nothing as big and complicated as this boat however. This would be a huge step up.
Old 25-09-2011, 11:53   #22

Boat: 48 Californian

Man, you have got some experience. I don't see the complicated systems, don't talk yourself out it. I would be all over this.
Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 12:06   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway
A beauty and Gardners are built to work. I've heard fishermen on this coast speak of them with respect. Have you budgeted for moorage as well as maintenance? If you are only going to spend $5000 a year over the next five years you want to be sure everything is accounted for. It's pretty easy to spend $5000 on a boat.
Mooring is not included in the $5000 per year upgrade budget, but regular maintenance was. Is that not enough?
Old 25-09-2011, 13:57   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
Mooring is not included in the $5000 per year upgrade budget, but regular maintenance was. Is that not enough?
If all the systems are suitable and well maintained I would expect it would. I've spent a lot in the first couple of years of ownership, doing most of the work myself, because I was upgrading and installing systems. The age and shape of everything will be the factor.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 10:59   #25

Boat: Olson 40

I have strong doubts about getting anywhere in the vicinity of $5K per year on a boat of anywhere near this level of sophistication (all those systems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and age. A ski boat can easily cost you that much.

My rule of thumb that's been pretty accurate for decades on my boats is expect something like 10% of new boat cost per year for maintenance. Its not the hull and deck (those are the cheapest parts to build and maintain for any boat I'd ever consider), its the SYSTEMS that cost the big bucks. And all that stuff (a) dissolves in salt water so nearly everything in a boat needs to be replaced every decade or sooner, (b) parts are expensive, (c) removing, repairing, replacing, and even maintaining often takes dramatically longer than the initial installation.

To properly scare yourself away from a complex vessel: get the complete list of every part that has gone into the boat: every light fixture, electrical panel, pump, hose, motor, filter, ... This list will be many pages long. Consider the cost of each of these: the price of the part to replace, the amount of work to get at the part to be replaced, the amount of electrical and physical interfaces that will be required to be futzed with in order to replace the old and out of production model X with the new and improved and a little different model Y, all the tools and fasteners and glue needed to connect the thing into the system, the time to confirm you actually fixed the problem, and the expectation that putting the boat together after the repair will result in new rattles and leaks that cause some other device to soon fail.

At a boat show, I asked the broker how one would fix the pressure water pump that I could tell was buried far under accomdations and structure. He said you would just sell the boat.
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote