Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2010, 16:41   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Well, you kill the bugs, but you still have to clean the diesel, otherwise the dead bugs will clog up your filters.

Best advice I heard was - fill the tank up as often as you can, take good diesel only, add some bacteria killer to the tank, use good filters, pray.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 20:30   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
If getting close to magnets killed living things.

I would be dead.....Played with them for years as a kid....my dad used to bring AlNiCo magnets home from a business customer.....

Also anyone who has had an MRI would be d-e-a-d
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:29   #18
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Yanmar recommends using FPPF Killem for bio-growth control in diesel tanks. I used it faithfully for seven years and never had a problem. The only time my Racor filter clogged was after I had foolishly dumped about 20 gallons from my on-deck jerry jugs into the tank. The fuel in the jerry jugs had been growing bugs, sitting there in the sun on deck for three months.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:29   #19
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Both Kill-em and Bio-bor have been tested to be effective...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Yanmar recommends using FPPF Killem for bio-growth control in diesel tanks. I used it faithfully for seven years and never had a problem. The only time my Racor filter clogged was after I had foolishly dumped about 20 gallons from my on-deck jerry jugs into the tank. The fuel in the jerry jugs had been growing bugs, sitting there in the sun on deck for three months.
But there are differences. Each is effective on a different group of bacteria, so if one does not work, try the other. I have run laboratory tests on these and others, and it is very interesting to watch a good product fail on a given culture, while another product will work there, but fail elsewhere.

Curiously, occationally a non-biocide fuel treatment would be effective, leading to the urban legand that some of these products "kill bugs." I am quite certain that it is the solvent (like adding gasoline) that does the job. Does adding gasoline work? I am fairly certain that any dose over 1% would do the job, since it was the high-does additives that had this effect and the use rate was about 1%. However, adding gasoline to deisel will lower the flash point and make it flamable at about 2-3% by volume, so we are getting into a questionable area. Be careful.

Alternating, every 6 months, between biobor and FPPF seems to be safer, and quite inexpensive.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:01   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
But there are differences. Each is effective on a different group of bacteria, so if one does not work, try the other. I have run laboratory tests on these and others, and it is very interesting to watch a good product fail on a given culture, while another product will work there, but fail elsewhere...
...Alternating, every 6 months, between biobor and FPPF seems to be safer, and quite inexpensive.
Anyone know the difference between “Substituted Dioxaborinanes” (Bio-bor’s principle ingredient), and “Disodium Ethylenebisdithiocarbamate & Sodium Dimethyldithiocarbamate” (Killem’s ingredients)?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:36   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
In addition to the above difference in culture effectiveness...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Anyone know the difference between “Substituted Dioxaborinanes” (Bio-bor’s principle ingredient), and “Disodium Ethylenebisdithiocarbamate & Sodium Dimethyldithiocarbamate” (Killem’s ingredients)?
... (one kills gram possitive, the other gram negative), Biobor is oil-phase and FPPF is water phase.

The airports exclusively use Biobor, in part because jet fuel has SO little water, a water-phase product would not be distributed though the fuel systems.

They really are not related chemistries and work differenty, but well.
Old 02-03-2010, 13:27   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
... (one kills gram positive, the other gram negative)...
Wow, thanks!
Which is which?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote