Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 03:02   #16

Re: Cuba bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanssouci View Post
I am not familiar with the roads but I have docked at Acua Marina, have they changed the name to Darsena Marina? Are there other liveaboards? Having a houseboat there is not a bad idea and not hard to do, 90 miles when the weather is flat.
I believe their are only 2 marinas in Varadero . Darsena is at the entrance (about a kilometre in. ) from the beginning of the canal . And the other is new at the very end of the peninsula . What gave me the idea was that I met a lady from Edmonton , Canada who parks her motor boat there year round and lives on it .
Rick004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:43   #17

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI

I believe your right about 2 marinas on the Varadero penisula. The new marina on the East end of the penisula is being developed by Raul Castro and the old marina on the West end known as Darsena Marina is being managed by the same organization as Hemmingway Marina. What about living aboard a boat in the protected waterway along Autopista Sur, there seams to be a lot of boats (about 80) moored to the shoreline near the Calle 17 petrol station.?
sanssouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:04   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I think you should try it in the house boat. I know lots of people who have made the trip in much less sea worthy vessels. Of course they were traveling from Cuba to the US.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:10   #19

[QUOTE="sanssouci;1354655"]I believe your right about 2 marinas on the Varadero penisula. The new marina on the East end of the penisula is being developed by Raul Castro and the old marina on the West end known as Darsena Marina is being managed by the same organization as Hemmingway Marina. What about living aboard a boat in the protected waterway along Autopista Sur, there seams to be a lot of boats (about 80) moored to the shoreline they may be local fishing boats , i will be getting more info this year when we go down , we always stay at Kawama which is about a 15 minute walk to the Petro station , we usually rent a scooter when we go !
Old 02-10-2013, 08:55   #20

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

There are older houseboats that used normal boat hulls, and are more tolerate of ocean waves.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:13   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
There are older houseboats that used normal boat hulls, and are more tolerate of ocean waves.
I think it would be a blast to get a houseboat over there !! Marina Darsena docking fees are really reasonable !! 50 cents a foot under 30 days over that it's 46 cents a foot and electricity and water fees are next to nothing. !!
Old 02-10-2013, 09:33   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick004 View Post
I think it would be a blast to get a houseboat over there !! Marina Darsena docking fees are really reasonable !! 50 cents a foot under 30 days over that it's 46 cents a foot and electricity and water fees are next to nothing. !!
First month 0.55, second month 0.45, after 2nd month $0.35/', I'll provide the ride back in my boat.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:39   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
Perfect Cuba houseboat, does it have outboard motor mount? Trailer it down here, I can store it at my place until its time to cross.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:53   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanssouci View Post
Perfect Cuba houseboat, does it have outboard motor mount? Trailer it down here, I can store it at my place until its time to cross.
thanks for the offer but I'm doing the research now so in a couple of years I know where I'm headed. !! Is it easier to cross over from Mexico or Florida ?
Old 02-10-2013, 10:06   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick004 View Post
thanks for the offer but I'm doing the research now so in a couple of years I know where I'm headed. !! Is it easier to cross over from Mexico or Florida ?
If you cross over from Florida its a broad reach, from Mexico it is to windward. If you start from Ft Jefferson it is even better crossing the gulfstream.

Tags
Cuba