Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2020, 16:13   #1

Cruising Hawaiian Islands for a year or two

I've been bouncing around some possible scenarios for an end-of-career (retirement) adventure for my wife and I. I work full time and we jointly operate an apparel business. We've never taken a proper vacation, and we are due.

Earlier, I was considering a transit from West Coast to Hawaii, and possibly on to Tahiti and other S. Pacific destinations, originally under sail, and later, power in form of a Trawler-style vessel.

However, I've been downsizing certain aspects (transit) and upsizing other aspects (cruising the Islands). I think I am down to the final scenario as follows.

BTW, I am an avid fisherman, mostly for tuna, mahi, wahoo and yellowtail.

My plan is to purchase in Hawaii a 40' or so sport fisher, fully equipped for fishing as well as creature comforts and support systems. We would abandon a slip, and travel to, perhaps, the Big Island, spending 6 months or so fishing various areas during the day an anchoring or, possibly drifting wit a sea anchor,, overnight. We would enter a marina only for fuel and, if necessary, water and to offload trash etc., then back out. The exception to this would be to dock at a convenient marina for a week or so, renting a car and seeing the sights, then back out to sea for more fishing, snorkeling and diving.

After the BI, we would then move on to Maui and do the same, fish, dive, see the sights, fuel up and back to sea anchoring overnights (yes there are a lot of anchorages in Hawaii). Depending how far offshore we are, out goes the sea anchor overnight.

We won't be making long passages, only crossing the necessary channels between-island, and spending a lot of time at trolling speed (no faster) or drifting.

After a year or two of this, we would either sell the boat, or put it in charter.

I know a sport fisher is not a trawler or LRC, but do you think they are sufficiently searworth for such a venture.

Comments, advice and opinions welcome.
Open-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 16:38   #2

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu
Re: Cruising Hawaiian Islands for a year or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-d View Post
I've been bouncing around some possible scenarios for an end-of-career (retirement) adventure for my wife and I. I work full time and we jointly operate an apparel business. We've never taken a proper vacation, and we are due.

Earlier, I was considering a transit from West Coast to Hawaii, and possibly on to Tahiti and other S. Pacific destinations, originally under sail, and later, power in form of a Trawler-style vessel.

However, I've been downsizing certain aspects (transit) and upsizing other aspects (cruising the Islands). I think I am down to the final scenario as follows.

BTW, I am an avid fisherman, mostly for tuna, mahi, wahoo and yellowtail.

My plan is to purchase in Hawaii a 40' or so sport fisher, fully equipped for fishing as well as creature comforts and support systems. We would abandon a slip, and travel to, perhaps, the Big Island, spending 6 months or so fishing various areas during the day an anchoring or, possibly drifting wit a sea anchor,, overnight. We would enter a marina only for fuel and, if necessary, water and to offload trash etc., then back out. The exception to this would be to dock at a convenient marina for a week or so, renting a car and seeing the sights, then back out to sea for more fishing, snorkeling and diving.

After the BI, we would then move on to Maui and do the same, fish, dive, see the sights, fuel up and back to sea anchoring overnights (yes there are a lot of anchorages in Hawaii). Depending how far offshore we are, out goes the sea anchor overnight.

We won't be making long passages, only crossing the necessary channels between-island, and spending a lot of time at trolling speed (no faster) or drifting.

After a year or two of this, we would either sell the boat, or put it in charter.

I know a sport fisher is not a trawler or LRC, but do you think they are sufficiently searworth for such a venture.

Comments, advice and opinions welcome.
A unique idea... I would really want it to work, but I think it more pipedream than practical.

Hawaii is a challenging place to cruise, even in good weather the wind and waves can be challenging. You might find it difficult to just "drop in" on a marina on short notice since they are (almost) all state owned and have stupid rules up the wazzo.

I really haven't seen a sportfish that was set up for longterm liveaboard offshore, I don't know how big you'd have to go for that, but it might be this big: Mary P

The lee side of the big island has a lot of shipping traffic... If you are close enough to be out of the trade wind seas, you have to deal with that too--including a lot of military traffic that tends to "run dark" on AIS. You might consider yourself "at anchor" but the rules say you are underway and responsible for taking evasive action when called for.

I think you'd be better off getting a slip at Ko Olina and use it as a base. In a fast sportfish, you'll be able to get anywhere you want to go in a few hours without the safety issues and hassle of hanging on a sea anchor while you're asleep.

Not trying to be a killjoy, but I think you'll also find the selection of boats for sale in HI to be rather... disappointing.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 17:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post
A unique idea... I would really want it to work, but I think it more pipedream than practical.

Hawaii is a challenging place to cruise, even in good weather the wind and waves can be challenging. You might find it difficult to just "drop in" on a marina on short notice since they are (almost) all state owned and have stupid rules up the wazzo.

I really haven't seen a sportfish that was set up for longterm liveaboard offshore, I don't know how big you'd have to go for that, but it might be this big: Mary P

The lee side of the big island has a lot of shipping traffic... If you are close enough to be out of the trade wind seas, you have to deal with that too--including a lot of military traffic that tends to "run dark" on AIS. You might consider yourself "at anchor" but the rules say you are underway and responsible for taking evasive action when called for.

I think you'd be better off getting a slip at Ko Olina and use it as a base. In a fast sportfish, you'll be able to get anywhere you want to go in a few hours without the safety issues and hassle of hanging on a sea anchor while you're asleep.

Not trying to be a killjoy, but I think you'll also find the selection of boats for sale in HI to be rather... disappointing.
I'm looking at a 43 Ocean that is in Ko Olina. 2001 with low-hour Volvo's (I am aware of the cost of parts). $180K. I've looked up KO slip fees and it is north of $3,000 a month. I don't want to be tied down, literally or virtually, to a single island.

Most days fishing or sight seaing/seeing, nights at anchor. Occasionally, if far out at days end, on a sea anchor. Pull into a marina for fuel, water and provisions as required, and back out. Other than the time driving around the island in a rental car, most time spent afloat. Like the sailboat guys except on a fishing machine.

I also have been looking at a Roughwater, 58' I believe, with a single 671 NA. Be okay, but not much of a fishing platform. More room, to be sure, but that boat has been on the market for years, and no takers. I'll want a quick of a turnaround as possible at the end, which I suspect would suit a SF rather than a Trawler. I could be wrong (it has happened before, to be sure).
Old 12-05-2020, 10:53   #4

Boat: Tartan T4400

Aloha Open-d
As SVHarmonie said Hawaii in not a very cruiser friendly state both the government and environment. There are not a lot of marinas an most of the anchorages are exposed in one direction so you need to be aware of the weather and swells. The water gets deep quickly around the islands so when you are fishing you will still be close to the islands, diving you will be very close. Some of the anchorages are not accessible during the winter. Some of the harbor master are very strict on enforcing the anchoring laws (permit & time limits) others not so much.
With the exceptions on Maui, Molokai and Lanai the islands are spread out. You an get some large uncomfortable seas an wind on the windward sides of all islands. As you get a way from the island the seas get a bit rolly and it may not be comfortable for sleeping with a sea anchor. If you are on the lee of an island it is calmer but then you get the small boat traffic.
There is a lot of barge traffic between the islands, most of the large ship traffic goes to from Honolulu. The military is mostly off shore and does not operate in the local waters except to transit in and out of Pearl Harbor. The will occasionally do port visits to other islands. The Pacific Missile Range Facility on the west die of Kauai will see some activity also and there will be LNMs. Before the pandemic we had one cruise ship that was homeported out of Honolulu for week long cruises of the islands. We also have some transient cruise ships passing through when repositioning.
Not trying to be a downer but there are reason there are no bareboat charter companies in Hawaii. There are some beautiful anchorages some weather permitting the Na Pali coast of Kauai and the north side of Molokai summer only. The big island have some decent anchorages.
Noodles Notes has some very good information and the Cruising Guide to the Hawaiian Island by Mahaffey (I think) also has good information. Not saying your plan won't work as I do not know you so I don't know your expectations and what you are willing to deal with. Cruising Hawaii in not like cruising the Caribbean or Tahiti.
Old 12-05-2020, 19:28   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

You can do what you plan on the Kona side of the Big Island from April to October. I'd want to be tucked into a Marina for the winter, though. We typically have at least one, often more cruisers wintering over in Honokohau harbor here in Kailua-Kona. It is possible to anchor out over the winter but wouldn't leave a boat unattended as 20' waves roll in from North Pacific on a regular basis for that surf Hawaii is so famous for. Can still go out fishing most every day but rough at anchor. State Marinas allow temporary mooring for four months in a calendar year so can stay in a marina from September through April if space is available. Kawaihae and Honokohau are the only two places to get fuel on the Kona side.

The channels can be rough but all the local fishing boats used to go to HNL to be hauled till we got our own travel lift at Honokohau. You just have to be patient and wait for favorable conditions which shouldn't take more than a week. The Ka'anapali coast of Maui is anchorable in the winter but rally for the same reason the Kona Coast is. Don't know about winter slip availability there but perhaps someone from there can fill you in on Maui County.

We are currently stuck in CA hiding out from Covid. Hope to get back home to Kona sometime this year. Would be glad to help you out when we get back if I can.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 21:05   #6

Boat: Islander 36

I admit to reading the responses here with a taint. None of the responses are without some cautions to say the least. I will add mine.

Go to Mexico instead. Seriously.

I sailed from Mexico to Hawaii. I had heard that Hawaii was not boater friendly. That was no lie. And the inter island water can be brutal.

Mexico was fun and accommodating and great food and actually a better place to get boatworks done, as opposed to Hawaii.

Read the thread from the pandemic refugees who thought that Hawaii would be a welcoming spot.
Old 12-05-2020, 23:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudgeon View Post
Aloha Open-d
As SVHarmonie said Hawaii in not a very cruiser friendly state both the government and environment. There are not a lot of marinas an most of the anchorages are exposed in one direction so you need to be aware of the weather and swells. The water gets deep quickly around the islands so when you are fishing you will still be close to the islands, diving you will be very close. Some of the anchorages are not accessible during the winter. Some of the harbor master are very strict on enforcing the anchoring laws (permit & time limits) others not so much.
With the exceptions on Maui, Molokai and Lanai the islands are spread out. You an get some large uncomfortable seas an wind on the windward sides of all islands. As you get a way from the island the seas get a bit rolly and it may not be comfortable for sleeping with a sea anchor. If you are on the lee of an island it is calmer but then you get the small boat traffic.
There is a lot of barge traffic between the islands, most of the large ship traffic goes to from Honolulu. The military is mostly off shore and does not operate in the local waters except to transit in and out of Pearl Harbor. The will occasionally do port visits to other islands. The Pacific Missile Range Facility on the west die of Kauai will see some activity also and there will be LNMs. Before the pandemic we had one cruise ship that was homeported out of Honolulu for week long cruises of the islands. We also have some transient cruise ships passing through when repositioning.
Not trying to be a downer but there are reason there are no bareboat charter companies in Hawaii. There are some beautiful anchorages some weather permitting the Na Pali coast of Kauai and the north side of Molokai summer only. The big island have some decent anchorages.
Noodles Notes has some very good information and the Cruising Guide to the Hawaiian Island by Mahaffy (I think) also has good information. Not saying your plan won't work as I do not know you so I don't know your expectations and what you are willing to deal with. Cruising Hawaii in not like cruising the Caribbean or Tahiti.
I have a copy of Mehaffey (Kindle version) and have read it a couple times. From what he says, I get the sense that there are ample anchorages in the islands. I'll get a copy of Noodles Notes.
Old 12-05-2020, 23:21   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
I admit to reading the responses here with a taint. None of the responses are without some cautions to say the least. I will add mine.

Go to Mexico instead. Seriously.

I sailed from Mexico to Hawaii. I had heard that Hawaii was not boater friendly. That was no lie. And the inter island water can be brutal.

Mexico was fun and accommodating and great food and actually a better place to get boatworks done, as opposed to Hawaii.

Read the thread from the pandemic refugees who thought that Hawaii would be a welcoming spot.
I go on long-range trips out of San Diego to Mexican waters, but have little to no interests in actually setting foot there. I know Hawaii fairly well, and it is the USA, sort of!!!
Old 12-05-2020, 23:24   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
You can do what you plan on the Kona side of the Big Island from April to October. I'd want to be tucked into a Marina for the winter, though. We typically have at least one, often more cruisers wintering over in Honokohau harbor here in Kailua-Kona. It is possible to anchor out over the winter but wouldn't leave a boat unattended as 20' waves roll in from North Pacific on a regular basis for that surf Hawaii is so famous for. Can still go out fishing most every day but rough at anchor. State Marinas allow temporary mooring for four months in a calendar year so can stay in a marina from September through April if space is available. Kawaihae and Honokohau are the only two places to get fuel on the Kona side.

The channels can be rough but all the local fishing boats used to go to HNL to be hauled till we got our own travel lift at Honokohau. You just have to be patient and wait for favorable conditions which shouldn't take more than a week. The Ka'anapali coast of Maui is anchorable in the winter but rally for the same reason the Kona Coast is. Don't know about winter slip availability there but perhaps someone from there can fill you in on Maui County.

We are currently stuck in CA hiding out from Covid. Hope to get back home to Kona sometime this year. Would be glad to help you out when we get back if I can.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 12-05-2020, 23:42   #10

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
I have a copy of Mehaffey (Kindle version) and have read it a couple times. From what he says, I get the sense that there are ample anchorages in the islands. I'll get a copy of Noodles Notes.
We on Oahu right now. No there are not "ample" anchorages in Hawaii. There actually very few and the ones there are frequently have a 3 day anchoring limit (most places this is enforced). Virtually all the anchorages have severe disadvantages in big swells, especially if the Kona winds come through.

"Pulling into a marina" is a nice thought but not very doable. Most marinas are full or if not, then the rules involved with being allowed in are beyond insane - an example is that you need to have each marinas name and address written in you insurance policy. It doesn't matter that you have a policy that says "world wide" or even one that specifically mentions Hawaii. They also do to accept a letter from your insurance company that says you are insured - Each individual marina must be listed with name and full address.

There are many other boater unfriendly rules. You'll also find that the swells out here are big - spending weeks on a sea anchor might sound enticing - but I'm not sure I would want to

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 06:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
We on Oahu right now. No there are not "ample" anchorages in Hawaii. There actually very few and the ones there are frequently have a 3 day anchoring limit (most places this is enforced). Virtually all the anchorages have severe disadvantages in big swells, especially if the Kona winds come through.

"Pulling into a marina" is a nice thought but not very doable. Most marinas are full or if not, then the rules involved with being allowed in are beyond insane - an example is that you need to have each marinas name and address written in you insurance policy. It doesn't matter that you have a policy that says "world wide" or even one that specifically mentions Hawaii. They also do to accept a letter from your insurance company that says you are insured - Each individual marina must be listed with name and full address.

There are many other boater unfriendly rules. You'll also find that the swells out here are big - spending weeks on a sea anchor might sound enticing - but I'm not sure I would want to
I see. Quite an eye-opener, perhaps a show-stopper. Thanks for the reply.
Old 13-05-2020, 07:05   #12

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
I see. Quite an eye-opener, perhaps a show-stopper. Thanks for the reply.
I have owned my boat for 20 years. Conditions in Hawaii exposed vulnerabilities I didn't know it had. I count 3 times when I could have easily lost her. Glad to know the vulnerabilities, but not crazy about the conditions in Hawaii that taught me about them.

But still, it's the boater unfriendly state government that is my #1 complaint.
Old 13-05-2020, 09:44   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
I have owned my boat for 20 years. Conditions in Hawaii exposed vulnerabilities I didn't know it had. I count 3 times when I could have easily lost her. Glad to know the vulnerabilities, but not crazy about the conditions in Hawaii that taught me about them.

But still, it's the boater unfriendly state government that is my #1 complaint.
Thank you. I am aware how backwards and corrupt the state is, but didn't think it would permeate that deeply.

I am "woke" to this factor, and thank you and others who have opened my eyes.
Old 14-05-2020, 17:08   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post

I called the Harbor Master at Honokohau and they confirmed the insurance thing. She said that its just like your car, you have to have insurance, I replied "Yes, but my policy doesn't have to mention the name and address of every Motel, Restaurant and Truck Stop I want to stop at". She didn't even seem to comprehend the difference. I asked if this was necessary just get fuel and water, and she said it wasn't, but didn't seemed to say it with much conviction.

As far as a sea anchor is concerned, and forgive me if I didn't make this clear, it would only be overnight, and only occasionally, Not for weeks or even days.
Old 14-05-2020, 17:14   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudgeon View Post
Aloha Open-d
Noodles Notes has some very good information and the Cruising Guide to the Hawaiian Island by Mahaffey (I think) also has good information. Not saying your plan won't work as I do not know you so I don't know your expectations and what you are willing to deal with. Cruising Hawaii in not like cruising the Caribbean or Tahiti.
In addition to Mahaffey, I got a copy of Noodles. It seems from both of these books, that there are sufficient anchorages for what I plan. Perhaps not perfect, and with conditions and exposure (seasonal) to wind and swell, but still workable.

I will, however, look into Tahiti. I've been following Adventures of an Old Seadog, and wasn't particularly impressed with Tahiti, but maybe I'll reconsider. One thing I need is a viable market for a suitable vessel, both to buy and sell at the beginning and end of the adventure.

Tags
cruising, hawaii