Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2022, 06:56   #1

Boat: 34' Nautaline
Converting a 1971 Nautaline to electric

I have a 1971 34’ houseboat that am thinking of converting over to electric. The current engine has not been kicked over in 12 years and the outdrive is pretty corroded. The boat is a condo for the most part, but would like to be able to take her out in to the harbor every once and a while. Also, she needs to be able to move around under own power in order to be docked at most marinas.
Has anyone ever done a similar project? Any advice, info links would be greatly appreciated.
Gbird3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 08:45   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Converting a 1971 Nautaline to electric

Welcome to the forum, Gbird3.

That will be complicated and expensive relative to clamping an outboard motor on the transom. First, you need a source of the electricity. That could be shore power (pretty simple, you already have it), a genset (expensive, but good for power at anchor, too), or solar (expensive,dependent on the sun). Then you need a way to store that energy, unless you plan to run the electric motor with the genset directly. That means bunches of batteries, which need maintenance and are expensive. Then you need the motor and the foot/propeller. It can be done, but do you really want to do it?

There are numerous discussions of electric populsion on the forum, and you can search for the threads. My impresssion is that it has some applications, but power, range, and cost are bigger problems than in electric automobiles. Like cars, the initial cost is high and the range is short.

You're talking about very occasional use. That seems to me more suited to a simple outboard rig. Good luck with it, whatever you choose.
Old 17-07-2022, 13:56   #3

Well pulled the boat and the outdrive was completely corroded and had holes in the sides of the housing. So lucky it didn't spring a leak and sink. Have changed my direction and decided to take the advice to attach an outboard to the boat. Now learning all the ins and outs of the hardware to support an outboard, reinforcing the transom, and how much it's going to cost... It's not cheap! Much of what I am seeing feels like overkill for my needs. I basically need to mount an outboard so she can be turned around, be able to move under her own propulsion, be accepted into a marina and also be covered by my insurance. Any advice on this topic would be great. I'll eventually do an electric boat conversion but will be on a much smaller scale.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:35   #4

Thanks for the advice. Have received advice from a few boat yards but want to ask the group what size outboard would you recommend? I am thinking something small since the goal is not to get her up on plane, but to just have the ability to mover her around the marina. Others have suggested a 30hp two stroke, anyone have a similar situation or thoughts? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:56   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Well, let's start with a good helm location. Is there one already? Gotta see where you are going. Then, you'll need steering, gearshift/throttle/lift/start, fuel tank and line, and battery/battery connections.You'll need a power prop (low speed/push hard) rather than the usual speed prop intended for a planing hull. Best bet is that it will be about as maneuverable as a flying brick.

30 hp should do it. I'm not sure why a 2-stroke. I'd take a 4-stroke any day. You might plan to at least start it and cycle the gears every week - your situation is ideal for development of neglected engine disease.

Good luck with it.
Old 04-08-2022, 13:02   #6

Thanks for the advice!
Agree, she is going to be like maneuvering a brick! LOL The boat has an existing helm with power controls and steering. The old control hardware is still in working order, cables etc. still accessible in the engine compartment.
Old 09-08-2022, 12:41   #7

Boat: twinkeels, 9m

2x 4-stroke outboards, low consumption, quiet at low revs, and easy docking !
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric