Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2014, 09:10   #991

Boat: 1999 Catalina 36
Send a message via Yahoo to Barpilot
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

OutOfControl
I've been along side that fuel dock in Fernandina when the current was ripping and I don't have a 50 something foot boat with lots of windage on her. Just saying......like out of a Clint Eastwood movid....."Man's (or in this case woman's) gotta know their limits.
Barpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 10:18   #992

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

"But...I think comments like these, at this point, are what some like to call trolling; more about getting a rise than trying to make a sensible point."

Galaxy, I believe Barpilot did make a sensible point. He and many others, myself included, think you should have started smaller to see if boat ownership and all that it entails is enjoyable to you and your family.
Home ownership is a poor comparison to Yacht ownership. While one should appreciate in value over the years the other will consume more time and energy not to mention money than most people plan on and will in all likelihood never net any profit and most likely significant loss of value on resale.

I have a question for you that has bugged me since I started following this thread, pardon me if you already addressed it or you deem it none of my business, but what would happen if after all is said and done and you are living your dream one of the kids suffers from seasickness so severe they cannot continue aboard. Do you abandon your plan or make arrangements for the child in an alternative living arrangement?

Good luck with your adventure, and send us pictures of your Yacht when you get her.
Old 24-02-2014, 11:08   #993

GG
This thread has been beaten to death. You appear to have the intelligence, drive, intuitiveness, and most importantly Common Sense to know what you want and how to achieve your goal(s). Buy the boat, load it with your family, cast off when you are ready and live the dream. If it doesn't work out the way you envisioned, you will have tried and you and your family will have life long memories.

Fair winds and calm seas on your journey.
GPSocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 12:48   #994

Location: Quaker Hill, CT (just above the US Coast Guard Academy)
Boat: Silverton 34 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSocal View Post
GG
This thread has been beaten to death. You appear to have the intelligence, drive, intuitiveness, and most importantly Common Sense to know what you want and how to achieve your goal(s). Buy the boat, load it with your family, cast off when you are ready and live the dream. If it doesn't work out the way you envisioned, you will have tried and you and your family will have life long memories.
+1...LL
AfterHoursNLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 14:53   #995

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSocal View Post
GG

Your right. I am always amazed at how this thread keeps being brought back to life. At one point, I had even mailed the moderators and asked them to remove it completely... to no avail.

Thanks for your well-wishes.
Old 24-02-2014, 15:47   #996

Boat: 1984 hunter 34

Well, we should let it all die then. Then when you buy your boat. You can start a new thread and call it call it COMPLETELY. OVERJOYED or COMPLETELY POWERFUL. Or whatever the opposite is for overwhelmed. Then we can all celebrate together the joyous money pit /hole in the water of boat ownership.....Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
spraygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 15:58   #997

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
At one point, I had even mailed the moderators and asked them to remove it completely... to no avail.
This thread represents history, your history. Plus there has been a lot of well meaning advise that others in your situation can read.

On any forum, I've never been for the closing or/and removing of threads. It is a disincentive for members to contribute posts.

As to your current situation, it isn't too late to consider a smaller, newer (or new) vessel. A power catamaran of the size you need will have 4 staterooms, no reason 3 of those 4 staterooms couldn't have 2 singles instead of one queen for each. Modern systems and a displacement that you can handle goes a long ways for successful, economical, and self sufficient cruising.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 15:59   #998
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Post 998 and no boat yet!
Old 24-02-2014, 18:05   #999

Boat: Still Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Post 998 and no boat yet!

According to her blog, purchase is just around the corner.
Certeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 18:27   #1000

Boat: 1984 hunter 34

Let it die.....wait for new thread.She sick of this one.

spraygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 18:37   #1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by spraygun View Post
OR

Keep it going to PROVE the before, during and after...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 21:15   #1002

Yes give it up. Still pushing a cat? Hmm. Surely it is obvious there is a degree of tenacity here. Although as I recall finally after it seems years she did make a change.
Most of us know the next phases. I love the boat. How could the PO have done/not done that and the surveyor missed it? This is the life. Hmm is this it? Ok I ran aground. So?
It seems a bit like marriage to me. Don't knock it because we are in love.
Uh huh.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 05:07   #1003

Quote:

No, it's not that I'm sick of it. I had just gotten tired of defending myself on a few occasions when the discussion became rather intense.

But... Deckofficer is right. This thread has an immense amount of great information in it. Folks have taken the time to thoughtfully answer my dumb newbee questions and explain things in detail. That should not go to waste. I'm sure that others out there when beginning a similar journey to this will begin by feeling "completely overwhelmed". If they happen on this thread, they can know that they are not alone and hopefully someone somewhere has learned a few things and/or avoided making a mistake. I know that I have learned a lot from my friends here.
Old 25-02-2014, 06:55   #1004

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

GG

If everything you have told us about yourself is true (and Im sure it probably is) than my hats off to you for following your heart and adventurous spirit. That is inspiring indeed. You sound like a hard driven person who seeks out and gets what they want. Kudos to you! That said I must now question why it has been over 17 months from the time you started this thread and have still not "pulled the trigger" and purchased a boat? I understand completely due diligence and careful planning but I also understand the pitfalls of not being able to make a decision (right or wrong). Success in business is driven by the ability to make timely decisions after careful analysis the variables of the decision. So whats the deal?

BTW I'm not sure you qualify as a newbie anymore as you probably have more "book smarts" on this subject than just about anyone. Now its time to earn your stripes by actually "doing". Go get your boat girl!!

My thoughts only.
Cheers
Old 25-02-2014, 07:48   #1005

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Quote:
Let it die.....wait for new thread. She sick of this one.
The above quote if from Post 1000. I think that's a good number to start over from. Also, GG was Completely Overwhelmed starting out; however, she is now on a different task of learning how to fix a boat to her requirements that is quite large compared to the average pleasure boat. Consider that if you double the dimensions of a boat, you have one that is 8 times larger. That's how the laws of relativity and similitude work when doubling the dimensions of a boat. See the Nature of Boats by Dave Gerr, Chapter 13.

If a guy's ego is related to the size of the boat, then a new thread could be as contentious as this one. Oh wait, that's what will happen when she starts to captain her boat. That should be lots of fun to watch.

Anyway, I suggest GG start a new thread about fixing up the boat she is getting.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle