Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2013, 13:35   #586

Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Let's take a vote, just for FUN. Who thinks I should check out the Blount boat and who thinks it's just waaayyyy too long?
Old 13-08-2013, 14:06   #587

Boat: too many

My vote for you is a test drive of both the Blount and Wright. My money is on the owner or broker of the Wright will hand the helm over to you after clearing the dock and then with a "virtual" dock, work with you on docking technique and upon return to the real dock, you will land it.

On the Blount, my best guess is it won't be leaving the slip or dock and maybe the engine will be lit off for you to hear run. But they will show you all the creature comforts.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 14:18   #588

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

[QUOTE=GalaxyGirl;1310516]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
I been on this boat several time: Very nicely kept. However its why more boat and to big for most marines and yards in the PNW. Shoot the Eagle is right at the board line, 58 ft and 40+ tons. However it would make a heck of a live aboard and cruising boat. Been for sales for several years.

89' Blount Marine, Year: 1966, Price: US$ 599,000, Located In Seattle,Hull Material: Steel,Twin diesel Detroit 6-71, YW# 964-2275993
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...ing_id=964&url=

If the sales takes place in US water then US customers/duty applies, and the owner odes not what to be involved in the read tape. They will sell to US citizen in Canadian waters or international waters. Many of the large meg a yachts transactions and registration is out side of the US and that is quite common.

So when are you coming to Seattle to look at boats and visit me? [/QUOT
E]

=
Phil, you have been on this boat? How much crew do you think that I would need?
A captain and at least one or two crew to get it from Seattle to your marina. The insurance comnpany and/or finance will require experience 24 hour watch captain and crew. I know if we brought the Eagle down the coast they will require at least two other to crew and maybe even a captain since we do not have blue water expereince.

Then going thu the Panama canel you will have to hire another captain and crew to take you through and that can be a 2 to 4 week process.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 14:21   #589

We have gone 40 pages on this thread and I'm still not sure of your intentions. Will you always hire a captain for each boat move? Will you anchor out or marina hop? Will the kids be home (boat) schooled with Calvert? What is the first destination(s)?
Old 13-08-2013, 14:24   #590
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
We have gone 40 pages on this thread and I'm still not sure of your intentions. Will you always hire a captain for each boat move? Will you anchor out or marina hop? Will the kids be home (boat) schooled with Calvert? What is the first destination(s)?
Too Be Determined.
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 14:28   #591

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
No, I know what it is. It's a house boat. I would NEVER EVER EVER buy a houseboat!!!
Smart girl. You have been learning. Many true boat marinas will not take house boats, so finding a marina/slip might be hard?

Besides its a AC power hog, and where are you going to get the hot water to fill that tub? For sure it would have to be tied to the dock.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 14:30   #592

Boat: Hunter 356

Quote:
How about a chief engineer
FightinGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 14:44   #593

I have visited GG's blog and her kids don't appear to be the prissy type that need the accommodations of a large 50 year old mega yacht. The Wright powercat is the type of boat that would allow social interaction with both power and sail cruisers. There are many more kids cruising on their parent's sailboats than powerboats. Powerboat cruisers tend to be old retired folks (like me) with the notable exception of Three@Sea with a teenage girl on a Nordhavn with 25,000 nm in the last 5 years. When I asked Ayla last week if she would consider the more "earthier" cruising of sailboats after school her answer was an emphatic "YES"!! You see even though she cruised via powerboat, for the last couple of years she took a week off for a sailing camp on Catalina Island and loved sailing so much her folks got her a sailing dinghy that is crane hoisted on their upper deck for passages. If GG wants this cruising to have a lasting impression on her kids, even though she doesn't want to sail, no harm in having a powercat that allows socialization with sailboat cruisers. Either her kids are going to meet mostly retired older folks in the social circles the boats she is looking at are going to place them in, or their going to meet other kids that are cruising on their parent's sailboats.

GG, have you considered what marine social circles await you as owner but not captain of a huge trawler vs. a powerboat that you captain and since being a light weight cat, makes you "adoptable" by family sailboat cruisers?
Old 13-08-2013, 14:46   #594

Not to mention
Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
Smart girl. You have been learning. Many true boat marinas will not take house boats, so finding a marina/slip might be hard?

Besides its a AC power hog, and where are you going to get the hot water to fill that tub? For sure it would have to be tied to the dock.
Not to mention, they don't move.
Old 13-08-2013, 14:50   #595

My limited experience was with children on sailboats and frankly I can't even recall families cruising on power... There were crewed charter operations of all sizes but not the trawler types. Having said that... GG's boat will be a fun boat and the kids from sailboats will like being aboard and vice a versa. I don't think hull type would inhibit social interaction.

Get the boat that fits! The west coast boat is a major project and expense to get home...
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 14:53   #596

Quote:
I have visited GG's blog and her kids don't appear to be the prissy type that need the accommodations of a large 50 year old mega yacht. The Wright powercat is the type of boat that would allow social interaction with both power and sail cruisers. There are many more kids cruising on their parent's sailboats than powerboats. Powerboat cruisers tend to be old retired folks (like me) with the notable exception of Three@Sea with a teenage girl on a Nordhavn with 25,000 nm in the last 5 years. When I asked Ayla last week if she would consider the more "earthier" cruising of sailboats after school her answer was an emphatic "YES"!! You see even though she cruised via powerboat, for the last couple of years she took a week off for a sailing camp on Catalina Island and loved sailing so much her folks got her a sailing dinghy that is crane hoisted on their upper deck for passages. If GG wants this cruising to have a lasting impression on her kids, even though she doesn't want to sail, no harm in having a powercat that allows socialization with sailboat cruisers. Either her kids are going to meet mostly retired older folks in the social circles the boats she is looking at are going to place them in, or their going to meet other kids that are cruising on their parent's sailboats.

GG, have you considered what marine social circles await you as owner but not captain of a huge trawler vs. a powerboat that you captain and since being a light weight cat, makes you "adoptable" by family sailboat cruisers?
I have 5 kids. I'm fairly confident (even without any experience) that cruising families w ith kids won't care what kind of boat we are on.
I' m completely sure that other kids won't care.
Old 13-08-2013, 14:58   #597

GG
When you ask whether the boat is "too long", you show your lack of understanding. Length usually translates into size overall. That is, your "long" vessel now has a much broader beam (width) meaning it will not fit into a slip and must always be anchored out or find a head (outside end) dock. Length also usually translates into mass. So your "long" boat now weighs substantially more than one even 10ft "shorter", meaning it is much more fuel hungry. Lastly, you are unlikely to be able to insure any of the boats you seem to be interested in unless you hire a full time captain. And, until you have a lot more experience, you will also need at least one crew member. Small boats are fun. Really big boats can be dangerous for the inexperienced and especially for children. There was a horrible story a few years back about an experienced couple who had just purchased a mid sized Norhavn. The wife was crushed to death between her vessel and another during an anchoring foul up. It is so easy for the inexperienced to think they can push the boat off with resulting serious injuries. A large vessel is no place to teach young kids about boating. You are simply trying to run before you can crawl!!
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 14:59   #598

rw58ph brings up a point that I have mentioned in the past, insurance requirements for the size vessels you are looking at. Nice to have a stateroom for each kid, but they will be displaced out of their staterooms for the captain and crew. With you and Nana on the Wright in the Caribbean, at the cruise speed it will run, there will be no overnight passages as most islands are within 150 nm of each other, plus like I've said many times, you can captain that vessel.
Old 13-08-2013, 15:05   #599

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs View Post
GG
When you ask whether the boat is "too long", you show your lack of understanding. Length usually translates into size overall. That is, your "long" vessel now has a much broader beam (width) meaning it will not fit into a slip and must always be anchored out or find a head (outside end) dock. Length also usually translates into mass. So your "long" boat now weighs substantially more than one even 10ft "shorter", meaning it is much more fuel hungry. Lastly, you are unlikely to be able to insure any of the boats you seem to be interested in unless you hire a full time captain. And, until you have a lot more experience, you will also need at least one crew member. Small boats are fun. Really big boats can be dangerous for the inexperienced and especially for children. There was a horrible story a few years back about an experienced couple who had just purchased a mid sized Norhavn. The wife was crushed to death between her vessel and another during an anchoring foul up. It is so easy for the inexperienced to think they can push the boat off with resulting serious injuries. A large vessel is no place to teach young kids about boating. You are simply trying to run before you can crawl!!
So your vote is for too big. I can respect those comments.
Old 13-08-2013, 15:10   #600

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
My limited experience was with children on sailboats and frankly I can't even recall families cruising on power... There were crewed charter operations of all sizes but not the trawler types. Having said that... GG's boat will be a fun boat and the kids from sailboats will like being aboard and vice a versa. I don't think hull type would inhibit social interaction.

Get the boat that fits! The west coast boat is a major project and expense to get home...
True that!

Tags
paracelle