Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 19:57   #226

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

BoatSurvey.com locates marine surveyors for power boat and sailing yacht surveys throughout the World.
Marine surveyors in various countries

The Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors, Inc.® - (SAMS®)
accredited Marine Surveyors in various countries

http://http://www.davidpascoe.com
survey books
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 20:00   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post
That's the difference between a displacement hull and a semi-planing hull or planing hull. Going twice as fast takes ten times more fuel.
The semi-planing hull is also know as semi-displacement hull
Old 08-02-2013, 20:46   #228

Don Casey’s Inspecting the Aging Sailboat has some recommendations on finding a marine surveyor. It’s an unregulated business and many surveys are worthless. Sometimes asking around the marina works if one name keeps popping up; however, most boat owners have not recently had the need for a surveyor. Boatyard owners also are a source, but they may also be in the business so the answer could be biased. Brokers also have lists of surveyors, but it is in their interest for a survey to show no problems so the best surveyors could be intentionally left off the list. Never accept only one name, and check out any surveyor’s recommended by a broker. Your insurance agent will want a surveyor that covers their requirements. Also, an insurance agent, like you, wants to find problems, anything that might cost the insurance company money or cause personal injury. For a sailboat over 40 feet the cost is about $18 per foot and for haul out will be maybe $5 per foot. About $400 for each engine inspection is paid to a mechanic.

Henry Mustin’s Surveying Fiberglass Sailboats also has a chapter on surveying and gives a nice example of a good surveying report. Most of the survey report example would be applicable to a trawler.

You may want to do your own survey before you enlist the services of a professional surveyor to determine if further study is worth the cost.

If a survey cost is less than 2% of the cost of a boat, then a person will most likely get the cost of the survey back when it comes to working with an agreeable price for the boat says Don Casey.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:03   #229

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: No longer Overwhelmed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Yes, for sure Chris. Good point. The price of this boat is perfect and it has everything that I had hoped for. I have been watching boat listings for almost a year now. I havn't seen anything else quite like this one. There was one other somewhat similar, here in the States, but it sold very quickly, I barely had the opportunity to inquire about it, and poof, gone. I was very dissapointed. Then, I came upon this one. I considered the additional costs, and am still researching, but I think it will still be worth it. It is a fairly unique design. I'm sure if the naysayers had their hands on the boat they would have plenty of reasons to disagree and do what they do best, discourage, but I know what is right for me

And I should have included the potential for import taxes and duties and so forth; luckily beachbum29 caught that... and the idea of taxes in general should also include any potential State and local sales, excise, and/or property taxes, too. Ideally you have all those $$ pinned down in advance of purchase committment so you know exactly (well, as close as possible) what your acquisition cost burden will be. Coals to New Castle, of course.

And yes, of course, we're all anxious for you to reveal the detail, so we can critique the heck out of your choice! I reckon 20% will say it's great, 20% will say it's absolutely horrible, and the rest will fall someplace in the middle. Which means -- assuming it also works for Mama and the kids -- you probably came about as close as you could, given experience, the vagaries of long-distance shopping, etc.

-Chris
Old 09-02-2013, 20:46   #230

Voyaging Under Power, 4th edition, recommends the following passage maker boats for crossing oceans. These all have displacement hulls:

Romsdals (one of the first ever made for passage making)
Malahides (also one of the first)
Willard
Skookum
Cheoy Lee
Stephen Seaton
Beebe
Knight & Carver
Kadey-Krogen
Nordhavn
Cape Horn Trawler
FPB64s (Functional Pilot Boat)
Seahorse Diesel Duck
Buehler Ellemaid 71

The book also opinioned that Hatteras LRC and the Defever looked good, but there were no records of their being use for ocean passage so he could not recommend them.

I Googled the specific makes individually and got a lot of hits, but in an hour’s time I did not find any with four cabins even as large as 65 feet long. It appears the interior would need modification if one of these boats were selected.

On another note, I found the following book while searching for how to survey a boat: http://www.davidpascoe.com/mid_size_power_boats.htm The book is only available on Amazon as used; however, four people commented there that it was a very good book and that among other things, the author thought may boats were poorly designed for ocean passage making. The book is available new on the above web site.
Old 09-02-2013, 21:09   #231

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

What' the odds it either a Kadey-Krogen or Nordhavn that GG is looking at. She indicated the vessel has already crossed oceans and is lying overseas.

Good choice if thats the case.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 18:03   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post
Thanks for the info.
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 18:05   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
What' the odds it either a Kadey-Krogen or Nordhavn that GG is looking at. She indicated the vessel has already crossed oceans and is lying overseas.

Good choice if thats the case.
Nope, neither, my pockets arn't that deep
Old 11-02-2013, 12:16   #234

Boat: Silverton Motor Yacht

Hi...we are looking into our second boat purchase and knowing totally well what you are going through. We have grown children and three grandchildren. We started out on our first boat, not a whole lot of boating experience and we really learned our mistakes we made with our first purchase. The first boat we did have a broker and he was pushy and we were new. We just sold our first boat and truely know what we need to do on the our next purchase. Make sure you get a boat survey even if you trust a broker and he tells you don't need one, unless you know a boat inside and out.
I agree with what someone said above...you need to experience different boats and get on those boats. Lay on the beds, sit on the couch or helm seats and have that feel of those boats. Get charter weekend on a few brands of boats. Go on friends boats. You can research and research but you have to board them and feel the space, just like a house. Take a boating class it helps also. We wanted a big boat and decided between 34 to 38 is what we are looking at. We hear the big ones are really hard to handle and I'm the deck hand. The wind is a problem for us on the Mississippi river and the bigger boat cost more to.pull for winter. Just figure out if you are doing twalers, crusiers, houseboats and what name brand you want..is it diesel or gas...and then aim on that and look all over. We also didn't have the money transporting a boat closer to us...so we vocused on our areas on the boats. Good luck.
JoanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 13:38   #235

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

An earlier post mentioned state taxes. I recall you're in New England and based in Boston. Be aware (as our former Senator and now Secretary of State knows) that you'll pay 6.25% if you register the boat in Massachusetts, but won't pay sales tax if you register the boat in Rhode Island and live there. However, if you continue to live in MA and ever bring the boat into MA waters, you'll be liable for the MA sales tax. Not usually worth moving for, but, since you mentioned living aboard, it's something to be aware of.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 17:06   #236

GG
Hope it works out for you. Suggest you get your surveyor to estimate cost of repairs and maintenance that he will inevitably list, and which your insurance company will likely require to be completed. Or get some quotes at wherever the boat is located. It can add up to large sums pretty quickly.
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 17:57   #237

Boat: 1999 Catalina 36
Send a message via Yahoo to Barpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
OMG!!!

I can't belive that I am about to say this, but after almost a year of searching and research, I think that I have found my boat. Of course, I still need to, view in person, make an offer, survey, etc., but I am so excited I can't stand it. I really do think this boat will work for me and my kids. I don't want to post the link yet, but it is a trawler, it has 4 staterooms, it's within my budget and most importantly, it is ocean crossing capable. The only drawback is that it is not located at all close. If anyone can recommend a good captain that you have personally dealt with for delivery I would appreciate it. I would love someone who is kind, patient, and willing to teach, and someone who will not be condescending to me as a female.

Thanks.
As a boater for over 60 years and coming from a professional maritime family, I find, without question, this entire thread to be preposterous. I don't like to rain on anyone's parade, but, this woman is going to be a hazard to navigation. I've followed the entire thread and the whole thing is just so far out that it defies description. The entire concept is over the top. GG indicates that financing is not a concern but then indicates that she found a boat within her "budget." People who really do buy boats like what she is describing, don't have a budget. Anyone can get experience and I hope she does before someone gets hurt. For those of us who have lived aboard for extended periods of time, we know that it's not for everyone. Living aboard in New England during the winter would be a challenge for the most experienced boater.
Barpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 18:58   #238
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barpilot View Post
As a boater for over 60 years and coming from a professional maritime family, I find, without question, this entire thread to be preposterous. I don't like to rain on anyone's parade, but, this woman is going to be a hazard to navigation. .....blah...blah...blah.
Welcome to CF Barpilot….. hope you found a comfortable mattress for your own PWB.
Seems like you might need a few good night’s sleep to remind you what it is like to take a dream and make it your goal…

We have all been there and some of us still remember the ridicule of those who underestimated us

Galaxy Girl.... best of luck in finding the right boat... we are here to help!
Nick
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 18:58   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanK View Post
Hi...we are looking into our second boat purchase and knowing totally well what you are going through. We have grown children and three grandchildren. We started out on our first boat, not a whole lot of boating experience and we really learned our mistakes we made with our first purchase. The first boat we did have a broker and he was pushy and we were new. We just sold our first boat and truely know what we need to do on the our next purchase. Make sure you get a boat survey even if you trust a broker and he tells you don't need one, unless you know a boat inside and out.
I agree with what someone said above...you need to experience different boats and get on those boats. Lay on the beds, sit on the couch or helm seats and have that feel of those boats. Get charter weekend on a few brands of boats. Go on friends boats. You can research and research but you have to board them and feel the space, just like a house. Take a boating class it helps also. We wanted a big boat and decided between 34 to 38 is what we are looking at. We hear the big ones are really hard to handle and I'm the deck hand. The wind is a problem for us on the Mississippi river and the bigger boat cost more to.pull for winter. Just figure out if you are doing twalers, crusiers, houseboats and what name brand you want..is it diesel or gas...and then aim on that and look all over. We also didn't have the money transporting a boat closer to us...so we vocused on our areas on the boats. Good luck.
Good advice, thanks.
Old 11-02-2013, 19:00   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartansail View Post
An earlier post mentioned state taxes. I recall you're in New England and based in Boston. Be aware (as our former Senator and now Secretary of State knows) that you'll pay 6.25% if you register the boat in Massachusetts, but won't pay sales tax if you register the boat in Rhode Island and live there. However, if you continue to live in MA and ever bring the boat into MA waters, you'll be liable for the MA sales tax. Not usually worth moving for, but, since you mentioned living aboard, it's something to be aware of.
David, funny you should mention. I was reading about the Ma use tax last night. I think your right, no way to avoid it.

Tags
paracelle